Search for an Un-Ally Star.

There was/is a pole method used in certain euro-land units. Not sure it is what you are thinking of, but when they do their method it is a very quick way of getting a man onto an external 1st, or 2nd floor surface, or outside a window.
Pole-Land perchance?

There was/is a pole method used in certain euro-land units. Not sure it is what you are thinking of, but when they do their method it is a very quick way of getting a man onto an external 1st, or 2nd floor surface, or outside a window.
'Alpini Pole', I seem to recall.

Some years ago, at a NATO Skills week, the Italians produced some upright mountain goats who wore uniform. Spookily, they were Alpini: part of their demo was to effect house entry (ground floor and, for the fitter ones, the first floor) using the historical Alpini climbing aid known as the Alpini Pole, a 8' (ish) pole which was used to vault small crevasses.

Actually I am aware of that as I saw it in FIBUA training when I was in 2 REP in the early eighties. Maybe fun on exercise, but the chap being launched through a first floor window by this method (help by others in the team) would need to have balls of steel if doing it for real and not knowing what was inside.

I tried to find a picture on the net, but was unsuccessful.

Edited to add: Note to the cousins - this means the floor above the ground floor, which you erroneously call the first.

Last edited:
Remember seeing on a Warsaw Pact film that was shown to us during a FIBUA module.
Two guys run at a building with a pole and a third guy at the front runs up the wall into a 1st floor window.

Remember seeing on a Warsaw Pact film that was shown to us during a FIBUA module.
Two guys run at a building with a pole and a third guy at the front runs up the wall into a 1st floor window.
That was roughly the jihadi version I saw.

I am fairly sure some battle hardened Syrian Arab Army (or Russian SF) would have slotted them as they went "boing" throught the obvious point of entry.

That's the badger.

Actually I am aware of that as I saw it in FIBUA training when I was in 2 REP in the early eighties. Maybe fun on exercise, but the chap being launched through a first floor window by this method (help by others in the team) would need to have balls of steel if doing it for real and not knowing what was inside.

I tried to find a picture on the net, but was unsuccessful.

Edited to add: Note to the cousins - this means the floor above the ground floor, which you erroneously call the first.
First time I saw it was with a French unit. I was always a bit dubious about popping up at a window, but to land a bloke up a vertical face onto a flat surface upstairs in quicktime it seem's to work a treat.

there's a video of Russian firemen doing a similar stunt with ladders, during a demo day for the public. Men run at wall with ladder, with Russian halfway up it, ascending rapidly and he arrives at window and momentum carries him up to the roof. Done as a circus stunt rather than a genuine fire fighting act.

napier

LE
Kit Reviewer
I was the man at the front (PCBC circa 1991) - thankfully I made it up the wall and into the window

I was the man at the front (PCBC circa 1991) - thankfully I made it up the wall and into the window
Usually the smallest/lightest man in the team.

Usually the smallest/lightest man in the team.
Makes a change from the usual top floor entry:

"Carrots, you're a big lad. Here's a grappling hook. Let us know when you're up there."

napier

LE
Kit Reviewer

napier

LE
Kit Reviewer
You may be right: I've always thought that he was a touch . . . louche, shall we say.
louche luːʃ/ adjective - disreputable or sordid in a rakish or appealing way - that's me..

napier

LE
Kit Reviewer