Search for an *Ally* star

Seen plenty of FALs in Rhodesian service. You only need to look at pictures of C Squadron/Selous Scouts.

Yup, swapped out my first R1 with plastic bits for a wood furniture (I think ex Rhodie judging by the paint) FN.

SA had a bunch of heavy barrel R1/FNs. Known as the Swaar Loop R1 and used in a support role where Brens or MAGs would be used. They were on their way out when I was in.

Charles Coward, The Password is Courage ?
@bedended
Somewhere I have a copy of the book .... IIRC BSM Charles Coward was awarded , together with Winston Churchill , a rare award after WW2 by the government in Israel .

Last edited:
Puttees, thats why thing have slid, no one wears puttees anymore.
It does seem odd to think that blokes being sent to fight in a very wet, cold, windy bog would be doing so in ankle high boots. I know it's what happened but still strikes me as bizarre every time I hear it.

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
It does seem odd to think that blokes being sent to fight in a very wet, cold, windy bog would be doing so in ankle high boots. I know it's what happened but still strikes me as bizarre every time I hear it.
Two schools of thought back in the day. One was that a short boot with puttees would dry out faster, and not hold water in like a taller boot.

The (main) problem with the DMS in my mind was the lack of a bellows tongue. You got wet feet even walking in long grass.

QRK2

LE

However It appears that 40years later we're heading back to ankle boots albeit rather better made ones.

Not really. The Falklands is the reason Combat 95 was created. The imperative to change was needed, and war/conflict usually is the accelerant.

Latest Threads