Search for an *Ally* star

Did we use them ourselves when they changed ends?
I think a number of them continued serving with the Italian Facists who served along side the Germans. They helped the KriegsMarine form their own midget submarine and Chariot submersibles. Mainly from Northern Italy the Italien Facist units fought quite hard. No five reverse gears and one forward for them.

A good little USN film about both groups.

Some KriegsMarine explosive torpedo boat crews looking Ally with their Falschirmjager helmets.

hqdefault (73).jpg

NSP

LE
Last edited:

NSP

LE
Was that the craft that wasn't so much a torpedo boat as speedboat bomb - operator expected to bail out backwards before impact?
Someone had a speedbomb that had the pilot at the stern and the backrest part fell away with them and formed their survival float. Think that was ze Germanz.

The Japanese had the Kaiten, I think it was called, which was basically a piloted torpedo. An underwater kamikaze, in essence.

Someone had a speedbomb that had the pilot at the stern and the backrest part fell away with them and formed their survival float.

The Japanese had the Kaiten, I think it was called, which was basically a piloted torpedo. An underwater kamikaze, in essence.

Your first para. is the Italian one I'm thinking off - only a small craft but v. fast.

Chef

LE
hqdefault (73).jpg

Bloke at the front looks ecstatic at it all.
The bloke in front is an ex London cabbie working undercover. He's thinking,

'All that way and come back empty, I had that Donitz in the back last week.'

Pteranadon

LE
Book Reviewer
Did we use them ourselves when they changed ends?

As the armistice divided Italy and the armed forces in two, the same happened to the X° Mas. It practically ceased to exist as an operational fighting unit. Ernesto Forza, and officers previously capture by the Allies, such us Durand de La Penne and Marceglia, remained loyal to the King. They formed a new assault unit named “MARIASSALTO” and joined the Allies.

However, Commander Borghese chose to continue fighting alongside the Germans. He formed an elite infantry unit bearing the name “X° Mas.” This unit was one of the few Italian fighting forces employed by the Germans against Allied troops in Italy.

_Chimurenga_

LE
Gallery Guru
Above Us The Waves, about the X-Craft attack on Tirpitz, opens with the team forming and training on/deploying chariots, if I remember rightly.

Funny this should be mentioned, I am currently reading the book. Their first successful attack was against an Italian warship, Ulpio Traiano, ironically enough.

Latest Threads