Search for an *Ally* star

Meet PS Alf 'Scarface' Foster, Manchester City Police:
16649485_745956508892238_8199095078834034968_n.jpg

From Facebook:

Born in 1895, he served with the Grenadier Guards during the Great War and joined Manchester City Police on July 27, 1921 at the age of 25.

He is said to have struck fear into the villains of Collyhurst and Miles Platting with his formidable stature - weighing in at 20 stones – and imposing presence. He was known locally as Scarface due to a deep wound across his left cheek.

He is said to have mastered the art of bringing down a fleeing miscreant with a well-aimed throw of his sergeants' stick. Such was his reputation that parents would only have threaten an unruly child with a visit from Scarface and order was soon restored!

He retired from the force in November 1946 having dedicated his life to serving the public in the uniform of a soldier and than a police officer.
If he managed Collyhurst and Miles Platting solo, he was a bigger presence then than GMP can manage now.

Al is seen with “Elvis” Priestly, who also went to Hereford. Heard a story that he was in boat troop and they were doing some training at Faslane. One night Elvis was down a local pub and on returning to the base was refused entry as he had forgotten his ID card. So he broke in to the high security nuclear submarine base.

RTU’d to 3PARA for six months.

RIP Elvis.
I heard a similar story from that era, told by a contemporary, about the late Joe Farragher. Big Joe was by all accounts an absolute monster of a bloke and an awesome soldier. The squadron were tasked with penetration testing a high security establishment somewhere. Joe got bored during the long drawn out briefing tour for the task and dug his way out with a spoon before the briefing was over.
The bloke who told me is now also dead so I can't verify it, but it was just one of a number of 'Big Joe' stories used to illustrate his 'direct' approach to problem solving.

syrup

LE
Al is seen with “Elvis” Priestly, who also went to Hereford. Heard a story that he was in boat troop and they were doing some training at Faslane. One night Elvis was down a local pub and on returning to the base was refused entry as he had forgotten his ID card. So he broke in to the high security nuclear submarine base.

RTU’d to 3PARA for six months.

RIP Elvis.

Episode 2 appeared on Youtube yesterday

Well, time to close the thread - a Para AND a Commando, with moustache

For those that want to comment on Reddit
Screenshot_20211202-184217.png

There was a R. Sigs chap I knew very well . After basic wanted to do the AACC Comando Course . So the R. Sigs posted him to 216 Paras. After doing the 216 Para course he then went to do the AACC. Had a bit of a hard time this was in 1985/86. As the Marine instructors had a bit of a thing with people wearing Para wings.

He passed anyway .

On our upgrading training in Catterick, he would wear either the Maroon or Green beret with the R.Sigs Jimmy badge , depending on his whim . If any of the Staff asked . “ WTF are you wearing that beret for?”

His answer was … Reg 27 B ,Paragraph 3 states if you have done either course . Para or AACC you can wear the beret as a recruitment advertisement” .

He never had any come back from the DS.

worked out as last time I met him 1999 , he’s was a Captain.

Last edited:
That para with the green lid looks familiar. I'm sure I've seen him at Brize wearing that combo many moons ago. It's the sort of thing you remember.

TamH70

MIA
I thought that was equipment for handling paraffin?

No, that was Young Master TamH70's delicate upper trotters. No wonder I have one arm longer than the other now.

No, that was Young Master TamH70's delicate upper trotters. No wonder I have one arm longer than the other now.
I just assumed... well, Paisley...

Mate of mine is colourblind.
Spent his national service flying around in a helicopter spotting 'disturbances' which nobody else could see.

Not the first time the colorblind have been used in conflict .

There was also a US tanker in WWII who was colourblind and was used in the lead/first tank driving across Europe to Germany as he could spot the difference between live trees and foliage and the dead ones used to cam up German tanks and AT positions.

Rhodesian war , one chap was also used flying around looking at suspected Terr bases as they also used dying foliage as cam.

Last edited:

Latest Threads