Search for an *Ally* star

If I recall correctly, the Duty Rumour of the time was that the Americans were sticking helicopter pilots into Harriers and thinking that they would be able to cope with kites that were flying a lot faster than they were used to, and many couldn't. According to the Wikipedia page, the RAF tried twice and it didn't work out - but thankfully there's no mention of the pilots stacking the planes into the ulu.

" On two occasions the Royal Air Force explored whether experienced helicopter pilots, with their ability to hover and transition to forward flight, would be a better source for Harrier squadrons. In both cases the pilots were completely out of their depth with conventional flight, navigation, orientation and weapons delivery at the high speeds of a fast jet."

Fast Jet mafia defend their Fast Jet mafia.

The RN (and RM) fairly often transitioned RW pilots into FW pilots. Indeed there was a specific course to do so.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
Fast Jet mafia defend their Fast Jet mafia.

The RN (and RM) fairly often transitioned RW pilots into FW pilots. Indeed there was a specific course to do so.
I thought all RW had to pass a FW course before they were allowed to go RW?
(I could be wrong but what di I know, I was just a Sloppo)

I thought all RW had to pass a FW course before they were allowed to go RW?
(I could be wrong but what di I know, I was just a Sloppo)

Elementary Flying Training is in a Grob - i.e. small civilian style aircraft. After that point different streaming occurs.

Speak to the product of the various different courses (RN, RAF, AAC) and each claim "their" way is the best. There have been times when RW just went straight to RW, but claims of "not a real pilot" blah quickly rise etc.

syrup

LE
Elementary Flying Training is in a Grob - i.e. small civilian style aircraft. After that point different streaming occurs.

Speak to the product of the various different courses (RN, RAF, AAC) and each claim "their" way is the best. There have been times when RW just went straight to RW, but claims of "not a real pilot" blah quickly rise etc.

IIRC Lt Cmdr Dave Morgan did a tour on Wessex Helicopters with the RAF before switching to Harriers

I once had a chat with an RM captain at a piss up who I assumed (as he was aircrew) was with the CBAS. Turns out he brought the FA2 to the party and was the first FJ booty since the '60s. Every day a school day.

My friend ,who is a former Harrier jockey, was given several hours in a Gazelle,before his first flight in a Harrier, to get his head used to being airborne at low or no airspeed and to "get" the mental and eyeball image of hovering into his head. He found that the students who arrived with rotary experience were very good initially but the rest soon caught up,as the heli types were used to going no faster than 160 kts, whereas the FW types usually had fast jet experience before being sent onto Harriers. The real rivalry was RAF v RN,even though both Services shard Harrier training.

Fairly early on, the RAF switched it around and had trainee Harrier pilots do a short rotary wing course at Shawbury to experience the sensation of transitions to and from the hover and the control inputs required to hover in place.
Not just early on. I was an instructor at CFS in ‘87 and one of our tasks was to teach Harrier jocks to transition to and from the hover. We used to have a screen fitted across the cockpit so that they couldn’t see down between their feet. Generally very nice and bright lads.

IIRC Lt Cmdr Dave Morgan did a tour on Wessex Helicopters with the RAF before switching to Harriers

He was, at the time, Flt Lt Dave Morgan, RAF Wessex & Harrier GR3 pilot before he (and many other RAF blokes*) flew the Sea Harrier FRS1 on CORPORATE (not the GR3, we had our own blokes to do that). I believe, but to be fair I do not know for certain, that Morgan transferred to the RN in the late-80s and from there became a civvy airline pilot.

Sea Harrier Pilot Wins DSC

Flt Lt Morgan was the highest scoring Sea Harrier pilot in the Falklands Campaign, a fact that I'm sure doesn't bother the esteemed Cdr Ward at all......:D. Of more interest, is that he hadn’t even completed the Sea Harrier OCU at Yeovilton before deploying, he had done about 1/3 of it.

RAF Sea Harrier Pilots

* - Flt Lt David Morgan - David Morgan (Royal Navy officer) - Wikipedia and

* - Flt Lt Paul Barton - Sea Harrier FRS.1 (XZ493)
* - Flt Lt Ted Ball -

* - Flt Lt Ian Mortimer - Falklands 25 « Articles « Fast Air Photography and British Aircraft lost - Falklands War 1982
* - Flt Lt Tony Penfold - Air War in the Falklands
* - Flt Lt John Leeming - Squadron History | Mysite
* - Flt Lt Steve Brown - Sea Harriers And Harriers In The Falklands War

About 1/3 of the CORPORATE Sea Harrier force.

Last edited:

potter

Old-Salt
He was Flt Lt Dave Morgan, RAF Wessex & Harrier GR3 pilot before he (and many other RAF blokes) flew the Sea Harrier FRS1 on CORPORATE. I believe he transferred to the RN in the mid-80s and from there became a civvy airline pilot.

Morgan was the highest scoring Sea Harrier pilot in the Falklands Campaign, a fact that I'm sure doesn't bother the esteemed Cdr Ward at all......:D
I doubt he's on here, but he's active on PPRUNE. Take a read of this currently active thread: 39 years - PPRuNe Forums

Jet pilots bigging themselves up again, I've got a forklift licence but I don't brag about it.

I'm "bigging up", as you put it, a small and often overlooked team of blokes. I wish i had 10% of their aviation talent and experience.

He was, at the time, Flt Lt Dave Morgan, RAF Wessex & Harrier GR3 pilot before he (and many other RAF blokes*) flew the Sea Harrier FRS1 on CORPORATE (not the GR3, we had our own blokes to do that). I believe, but to be fair I do not know for certain, that Morgan transferred to the RN in the late-80s and from there became a civvy airline pilot.

Morgan was the highest scoring Sea Harrier pilot in the Falklands Campaign, a fact that I'm sure doesn't bother the esteemed Cdr Ward at all......:D

RAF Sea Harrier Pilots

* - Flt Lt David Morgan - David Morgan (Royal Navy officer) - Wikipedia
* - Flt Lt Paul Barton - Sea Harrier FRS.1 (XZ493)
* - Flt Lt Ted Ball -

* - Flt Lt Ian Mortimer - Falklands 25 « Articles « Fast Air Photography and British Aircraft lost - Falklands War 1982
* - Flt Lt Tony Penfold - Air War in the Falklands
* - Flt Lt John Leeming - Squadron History | Mysite
* - Flt Lt Steve Brown - Sea Harriers And Harriers In The Falklands War
Morgan transferred to the Navy in 1987 and left the military in 1990. His book “Hostile Skies, The Battle for the Falklands” is a good read.

They're drowned out by pilots telling us to dig out our best booze and talk about how incredibly good looking they are.

I'm aggressively average at the former and 1 out of 10 at the latter.

Jet pilots bigging themselves up again, I've got a forklift licence but I don't brag about it.
Some people get 'moved' by art or song...............others get moved by Forklift
1623264694037.png