Search for an *Ally* star

Mufulira42

Old-Salt
Image from the Granby thread, LMG used in 90s. The question i want to derail this thread with is this, that magazine looks straighter than the BREN (303) magazine, I know it's slightly at an angle, but the BREN magazine had quite a curve. Was there a straight LMG magazine available?

View attachment 552318
7.62mm mag also fitted 'That Rifle' altho' not always sanctioned.

TamH70

MIA
7.62mm mag also fitted 'That Rifle' altho' not always sanctioned.
Particularly since the spring wasn't designed for vertical upwards feeding. Hence jams. Hence ballockings. Some unit armourers fitted stronger springs but I'm pretty sure that it didn't feed out into the wider army as a Done Thing.

Add that to the fact that thirty rounds of 7.62mm NATO plus the magazine itself is extremely bloody heavy, and polymer magazines weren't a thing back then.

Dutch Marine firing a Panzerfaust 3 from a snowmobile....very Bond opening bad guy vibes...

cBHiNb5.jpg

Blimey, time to get the Dremmel, , Crows Foot stamp, and assorted punches out.

All of a sudden I've got a new project that might earn me a few quid.
Faking up stuff is rife in the surplus / deact industry, most of the suppressed Sterlings L34A1 you see for sale are fakes. No doubt someone its already cutting down mags.

Particularly since the spring wasn't designed for vertical upwards feeding. Hence jams. Hence ballockings. Some unit armourers fitted stronger springs but I'm pretty sure that it didn't feed out into the wider army as a Done Thing.

Add that to the fact that thirty rounds of 7.62mm NATO plus the magazine itself is extremely bloody heavy, and polymer magazines weren't a thing back then.

Our Welsh gun fettler pimped a rifle whose name shall not be mentioned. It had a box full of LMG mags with extra spring sections added - and just because he had done a metal gluing and also a lathe ops course - he banged up a top cover with a rail fitted and "borrowed" a bipod off something and turned up a fitment for that too. Not pretty, but with a scope it reached out and touched a fig 11 at 600 very reliably and consistently.

The Aussies made a straight, thirty round SLR magazine. I dare say it would have fitted the LMG.
As did the Canadians and yes they fitted
Weren't these designed for the heavy barrelled version of the SLR, itself based on the heavy barrelled FN.

From wiki:

A variant named L2A1/C2A1 (C2), meant to serve as a light machine gun in a support role, is also capable of fully automatic fire. Differences from the L1A1/C1 include a heavy barrel, squared front sight (versus the "V" on the semi-automatic models), a handguard that doubles as a foldable bipod, and a larger 30-round magazine although it could also use the normal 20-round magazines. Only Canada and Australia used this variant.

L2A1
download.jpg

The FN version.

ach100375m-FN-FAL-7-62mm-L2A1-automatic-rifle.jpg

syrup

LE
Weren't these designed for the heavy barrelled version of the SLR, itself based on the heavy barrelled FN.

From wiki:

A variant named L2A1/C2A1 (C2), meant to serve as a light machine gun in a support role, is also capable of fully automatic fire. Differences from the L1A1/C1 include a heavy barrel, squared front sight (versus the "V" on the semi-automatic models), a handguard that doubles as a foldable bipod, and a larger 30-round magazine although it could also use the normal 20-round magazines. Only Canada and Australia used this variant.

L2A1
View attachment 555383

The FN version.

View attachment 555384

Why was Darth Vader not carrying that bad boy in Star War's
All that fannying about waiting for a death star laser to warm up like your granny's radio.

You'll never hit a planet from here Vader with THAT Rifle
"Your lack of faith disturbs me"

Why was Darth Vader not carrying that bad boy in Star War's
All that fannying about waiting for a death star laser to warm up like your granny's radio.

You'll never hit a planet from here Vader with THAT Rifle
"Your lack of faith disturbs me"
The giant laser was just an aiming mark for that rifle.

Blowing the piccy up quite a lot on the Edge Browser makes it look that those leather-looking things have numbers printed on them. Maybe back-up dog-tags?
More modern flying suits have a D ring in that sort of position. IIRC it was to hang the oxygen mask on. More usual was to have a dog tag attached to it.

Latest Threads