Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Search for an *Ally* star

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
Sorry, my mistake then.
Nae panic. Just credit where it's due. Lord was one of those landmark individuals.

When the Allies were approaching the POW camp he was held in, the Germans handed over control of the camp to him to ensure an orderly takeover. Consider the amount of respect that that implies.

He's worth a Google.

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
Indeed, Chuck Norris is the only man who knows Victoria's Secret.
You can't beat that
Chuck Norris?

Chuck Norris destroyed the Periodic Table - because he only recognises the element of surprise.

Chuck Norris's tears can cure cancer. It's just a pity he's never cried.

Chuck Norris doesn't read books. He just stares at them until they give up the information he needs.

When Chuck Norris does press-ups, he doesn't do press-ups - he pushes the whole world down.

Etc...

Chuck Norris?

Chuck Norris destroyed the Periodic Table - because he only recognises the element of surprise.

Chuck Norris doesn't read books. He just stares at them until they give up the information he needs.

When Chuck Norris does press-ups, he doesn't do press-ups - he pushes the whole world down.

Etc...

When Chuck Norris comes into contact with Covid 19 it has to go into self isolation.

Chuck Norris?

Etc...

Chuck Norris was born in a house that he built with his bare hands!

I could go on.

Miitary aviators (USAF, USN, USMC) were taken onto the books of Air America while still being part of their parent service. The same system happened with the AVG pilots flying for China in WW2. USSF were still part of the Army while working for the CIA.

Operations in Laos and Cambodia by MACV-SOG, Air America and the CIA were declassified in the late eighties/early nineties.

Any full respect for your friend. He was obviously nails.

The bombing of Cambodia is covered well in the book ‘Sideshow’ by William Shawcross.

Odd one to my non airborne mind. Why does he have is wings on his stripes, yet his mate has them on the shoulder? Taken 18 days before D Day apparently
Originally, wings were to be worn low down on the arm, where this chap has them. When someone thought about it and realised that they were in the same place as rank stripes, it was changed to the shoulder. Probably wasn't too uncommon to see both.

I think this is Ally,

Leading the men and donkeys through the Kyber Pass carrying a swagger stick while smoking a pipe.

Come on then you Afgahni tribesmen, fcuking bring it on.

s-l1600.jpg

I think this is Ally,

Leading the men and donkeys through the Kyber Pass carrying a swagger stick while smoking a pipe.

Come on then you Afgahni tribesmen, fcuking bring it on.

View attachment 524070
Looks like the white man’s burden is being carried for him.

First verse for those who can't be bothered . . .

Smokin' my pipe on the mountings, sniffin' the mornin' cool,
I walks in my old brown gaiters along o' my old brown mule,
With seventy gunners be'ind me, an' never a beggar forgets
It's only the pick of the Army that handles the dear little pets -- 'Tss! 'Tss!
For you all love the screw-guns -- the screw-guns they all love you!
So when we call round with a few guns, o' course you will know what to do -- hoo! hoo!
Jest send in your Chief an' surrender -- it's worse if you fights or you runs:
You can go where you please, you can skid up the trees, but you don't get away from the guns!

First verse for those who can't be bothered . . .

Smokin' my pipe on the mountings, sniffin' the mornin' cool,
I walks in my old brown gaiters along o' my old brown mule,
With seventy gunners be'ind me, an' never a beggar forgets
It's only the pick of the Army that handles the dear little pets -- 'Tss! 'Tss!
For you all love the screw-guns -- the screw-guns they all love you!
So when we call round with a few guns, o' course you will know what to do -- hoo! hoo!
Jest send in your Chief an' surrender -- it's worse if you fights or you runs:
You can go where you please, you can skid up the trees, but you don't get away from the guns!

I have to admit, I'm a big fan of Kipling. Right words, right sentiments, at the right time - and I believe very perceptive of the lot of Tommy Atkins of the time.

Well, clay pipes were cheapo. An officer wouldn't have used one - they'd have briars instead.
I am with you all the way on this one.

Please carry on, all info received with thanks.

Latest Threads