Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Search for an *Ally* star

Were there not voices in the Regt some time ago who were lobbying for a retrospective award?

I think it is more than deserved and the powers that be should be poked up the arrse with a sharp pointy thing until they are persuaded to grant the award.
All they have to do is spin it as correcting a colonialist oversight against a BAME soldier and Sgt Labalaba will have a posthumous VC before you can say 'outrage'.

mogreby

Clanker
I have no idea how accurate it is but Roland White's Storm Front is an excellent read about Mirbat.
Have a look around and it will cost you about £5.00 second hand. His Vulcan 607 was spot on, so I have no doubt about Storm Front.
Storm Front seems a good account of the battle and the lead up to it.

Could almost be a couple of Stick Grenades sticking out of his daysack :)

They recently had a whole platoon/Sqn binned out of the KSK for being a little too interested in right wing politics. The miscreants are in the main those who come from the old east - having done complete 180's in ideology now that they have the freedom to choose.

There was also the incident in Oman some years ago where they were training for Iraq/Afghanistan and some brightsparks thought it would be humorous to paint the old Afrika Korps logo of palm tree with swastika on the sides of some of the vehicles. It was funny in Oman, but not so much when the photos turned up on the news media in Germany and the politicians saw them.

Last edited:
Political, it would show that the locals, didn’t rock up to support (they did). We the UK, not like the USA, Aus seem to take the pragmatic approach, awarded or not, award down graded or not. It is all history.

Pragmatism and politics, as ever.

35 odd years associated with HM Forces as a padbrat, and squaddie I never met, or was in the same room as a VC awardee. I looked after the chunk of bronze cannon and an unawarded medal for a few weeks, but never met an actual awardee.

10 years in the US and I have on at least three occasions been at the same function as, and spoken with two, or three, CMH recipients.

Were there not voices in the Regt some time ago who were lobbying for a retrospective award?

I think it is more than deserved and the powers that be should be poked up the arrse with a sharp pointy thing until they are persuaded to grant the award.
There was. There was also a campaign for Paddy Mayne to be awarded a richly deserved VC, but as usual with the MOD, it is 'all too difficult'. The Australians have managed to do it recently though with the 'Victoria Cross for Australia' and it was done in the early days of the VC. The Americans have been doing it for years with the CMOH.

If the evidence is clearly there, what reason is there not to award it, even after the event.

They recently had a whole platoon/Sqn binned out of the KSK for being a little too interested in right wing politics. The main miscreants are in the main those who come from the old east - having done complete 180's in ideology now that they have the freedom to choose.

There was also the incident in Oman some years ago where they were training for Iraq/Afghanistan and some brightsparks thought it would be humorous to paint the old Afrika Korps logo of palm tree with swastika on the sides of some of the vehicles. It was funny in Oman, but not so much when the photos turned up on the news media in Germany and the politicians saw them.
I don't think that they even had the swastika under the palm tree, but as the palm tree was the symbol of the DAK, the usual wet liberals that make up the establishment in Germany these days, wet their knickers.

We the UK, not like the USA, Aus seem to take the pragmatic approach, awarded or not, award down graded or not. It is all history.
It seems like it is the Australians and the Americans who take the pragmatic approach. It isn't all history for the comrades who fought alongside him and think he should have been awarded the medal. Many of them probably think it an injustice.

Somebody start a petition.
Walter Tull should be at the front of the que, it is what it is, actions awarded MiD in the past have been awarded MC, MiD in the recent past downgraded because the soldier didn’t fit the narrative, SFSG 2009.

If you know you know, looking at those who decided that the Welsh Guards officer who wrote it up, was full of shit.

And Tak was awarded a richly deserved DCM.
Why Laba only got an MID is a complete mystery to both his contemporaries and to onlookers.
By whatever measure you care to use, as both a man and a soldier Laba had it all.
Wasn't there some weird rule that the only decorations that could be awarded postumously were the VC and an MID, so that if they decided that they weren't going to award the VC, the only other decoration that they could give was an MID. I don't know if that was still in force in 1972. It should be changed retrospectively though.

Wasn't there some weird rule that the only decorations that could be awarded postumously were the VC and an MID, so that if they decided that they weren't going to award the VC, the only other decoration that they could give was an MID. I don't know if that was still in force in 1972. It should be changed retrospectively though.

Organisations and institutions can't just rewrite their own rules.

That would be TFE.

Too Fcuking Easy.

Yet they allowed a 'Thames TV' documentary to be made at the time. Although about seconded and contract officers serving with the Sultans Forces, both the SAS presence as BATT and the Battle of Mirbat were mentioned. Agreed though, that the government probably thought that a VC would attract too much publicity, but a DSO and MM would be unoticed with Northern Ireland at its height.

The documentary is on one of the Dhofar threads, but I have added it down below for any who have not seen it. It is very good.

I think that the video qualifies in itself as an 'Ally star. Denison smocks, shemagh worn ally style, Huey helicopters, hot, post totty female interviewer and THAT rifle.

Yes, that was the situation in 1972.
But if it were to be retrospectively changed, to allow posthumous awards of DSOs, MCs, DCMs, MMs and naval medals, there would potentially be a deluge of award cases, many of which could not now be properly adjudicated.

Without going into the situation in detail, there was no explicit legal provision for the posthumous award of a VC until the promulgation of the Royal Warrant of 1920. However, as a matter of policy, posthumous Crosses started to be authorised in the Boer War. Pressure then began to be made to award posthumous Crosses to men from earlier conflicts who had been Gazetted as "would have been recommended for the award of the Victoria Cross, had he survived."
In 1907 Crosses were presented to the families of six such men, for actions dating back to the Great Mutiny in 1857, 50 years previously. Possibly the two best known cases included in the six were Coghill and Melville who died whilst trying to save the colours of 2/24th at Isandhlwana in January 1879.
The point that I am getting at is that the 50 year gap between the mutiny actions and the award of Crosses is precedent to refute any claim that 48 years since Mirbat isn't too long a period for a reappraisal of Labalaba's action.
Tobin deserved something too - he did just as much as Takavesi who, having survived, received a DCM - but he (Tobin) died of wounds in the Royal Herbert some weeks later.

While nowhere near the Allyness as Laba, I think that this old boy deserves an entry in the Ally thread. A 51 year old SFC in the 3rd Battalion, 75th Ranger Regiment. He was in basic training at the age of 40 and passed the Ranger Course at 41.

At one time most British soldiers who did the full 22 years pensionable service would be looking to retire at the age of 40 with the cry "I am getting too old for all this sh*t."

TamH70

MIA
While nowhere near the Allyness as Laba, I think that this old boy deserves an entry in the Ally thread. A 51 year old SFC in the 3rd Battalion, 75th Ranger Regiment. He was in basic training at the age of 40 and passed the Ranger Course at 41.

At one time most British soldiers who did the full 22 years pensionable service would be looking to retire at the age of 40 with the cry "I am getting too old for all this sh*t."

What did that truck tyre do to piss him off so much that he felt it worthwhile to thwack it with a gurt big sledge-hammer?

Latest Threads