Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Search for an *Ally* star

Yes, really. Everyday a schoolday etc.

Thank you for the link.

Didn't see that, apologies.

Pretty damn famous action, and the gun (25pdr) was later installed on display in Woolwich I believe.

The bloke should have got a Vicky for that.

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
There are two parts to this. What he did, and the absolute affection and regard he is held in by those who worked with him.

In a regiment of characters, people who did incredible things, time after time, he stands out. By their own regard, not ours.

Close the book.

I encountered that sling-free-rifle-because-it's-a part-of-you philosophy in the training cadre of 10 Para.
In the IDF we had to sling them as I mentioned (except if in thick forest) and to be honest we wouldn't have managed without slings - just too many other weapons/gear to be operated/carried.

You certainly need a sling when you take it shopping :)

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
Absolutely he should have, above and beyond. No gong though, MID instead i believe.
Something which still rankles for many - and I agree. The reasoning was that we weren't looking to publicise what we were doing in the region at the time. A VC would have attracted attention. I for one support the idea of a retrospective award.

German soldier (middle) with their own home drawn SS splinter camo on their lids - does that count as ally?

Could almost be a couple of Stick Grenades sticking out of his daysack :)

The reasoning was that we weren't looking to publicise what we were doing in the region at the time.
Yet they allowed a 'Thames TV' documentary to be made at the time. Although about seconded and contract officers serving with the Sultans Forces, both the SAS presence as BATT and the Battle of Mirbat were mentioned. Agreed though, that the government probably thought that a VC would attract too much publicity, but a DSO and MM would be unoticed with Northern Ireland at its height.

The documentary is on one of the Dhofar threads, but I have added it down below for any who have not seen it. It is very good.

Yet they allowed a 'Thames TV' documentary to be made at the time. Although about seconded and contract officers serving with the Sultans Forces, both the SAS presence as BATT and the Battle of Mirbat were mentioned. Agreed though, that the government probably thought that a VC would attract too much publicity, but a DSO and MM would be unoticed with Northern Ireland at its height.

The documentary is on one of the Dhofar threads, but I have added it down below for any who have not seen it. It is very good.

What's interesting is one of the comments from a young Omani from Dhofar on the the Documentary.

I'm from Dhofar and my uncle told me how scary july 19th, 1972 was.. Adoo "Enemy" attacked town of Mirbat at early foggy morning they were more than 200 armed soldiers with thier klashinkovs agains 9 men of SAS who struggled bravely defending the town till aerial support arrived which was the deciding factor of the battle. People of Mirbat still remembered that day and paying tribute to those who sacrificed themselves to defend peace.. And imagine if the assault succeded it would be a horrible massacre for civillians!

Something which still rankles for many - and I agree. The reasoning was that we weren't looking to publicise what we were doing in the region at the time. A VC would have attracted attention. I for one support the idea of a retrospective award.

Were there not voices in the Regt some time ago who were lobbying for a retrospective award?

I think it is more than deserved and the powers that be should be poked up the arrse with a sharp pointy thing until they are persuaded to grant the award.

Ex_crab

Old-Salt

What's interesting is one of the comments from a young Omani from Dhofar on the the Documentary.

I'm from Dhofar and my uncle told me how scary july 19th, 1972 was.. Adoo "Enemy" attacked town of Mirbat at early foggy morning they were more than 200 armed soldiers with thier klashinkovs agains 9 men of SAS who struggled bravely defending the town till aerial support arrived which was the deciding factor of the battle. People of Mirbat still remembered that day and paying tribute to those who sacrificed themselves to defend peace.. And imagine if the assault succeded it would be a horrible massacre for civillians!

I have no idea how accurate it is but Roland White's Storm Front is an excellent read about Mirbat.
Have a look around and it will cost you about £5.00 second hand. His Vulcan 607 was spot on, so I have no doubt about Storm Front.

Were there not voices in the Regt some time ago who were lobbying for a retrospective award?

I think it is more than deserved and the powers that be should be poked up the arrse with a sharp pointy thing until they are persuaded to grant the award.
Political, it would show that the locals, didn’t rock up to support (they did). We the UK, not like the USA, Aus seem to take the pragmatic approach, awarded or not, award down graded or not. It is all history.

Latest Threads