Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Search for an *Ally* star

Himmler74

On ROPS
On ROPs
That looks like an R4 and 70 pattern webbing; the terrain is a bit Green: Drakensburg?

Nope, not SA built Galil. Filler in the stock, webbing is not SA issue and the hat and vegetation say somewhere in South America perhaps.

Nope, not SA built Galil. Filler in the stock, webbing is not SA issue and the hat and vegetation say somewhere in South America perhaps.
So I was right then - I don't have a clue.

It doesn't seem to have a carry handle so not IDF?

Last edited:
I don't think the carbines had carry handles, only the angry version with the bipod. @loofkar will have the hot skinny on that.

TBQH, I can't recall seeing the insert in the folding stock on any SA or IDF ones, and the front sight and bits forward of the forestock look a bit different from the SA stuff. Pic is a bit iffy so can't tell for sure.

I don't think the carbines had carry handles, only the angry version with the bipod. @loofkar will have the hot skinny on that.

TBQH, I can't recall seeing the insert in the folding stock on any SA or IDF ones, and the front sight and bits forward of the forestock look a bit different from the SA stuff. Pic is a bit iffy so can't tell for sure.
I never saw a carrying handle on any kind of Galil except in publicity photos. There was no SOP requiring the use of carrying handles in fact the opposite applied. Slings were attached using paracord so the weapon could hang in the low port position, available for immediate use.

Yup, none on ours either, although I think earlier ones may have had a handle. (I seem to recall a handle on the first one I was issued - wood furniture and apparently they were prone to NDs if bumped when ordering arms.) If they did, they were quickly removed on later ones, as were those on the FAL/R1.

Many teeth units' gubs were not fitted with slings so the rifle would always be carried in the ready position. Some like the donkey wallopers required slings for hands free ops to keep their insane transport under control, because apparently stapling a set of clips to Dobbin's head was not the done thing.

Cruthin1967

Old-Salt
The search for *allyness* has gripped the boards...Here's a few to start it off:

Ally:

Utterly un-ally (and foreign)

Foreign and 110% ally (at least I think so ;))

P.S - Can anyone tell that I'm bored? I promise I'm not trying to skive off work.
Surely this.

Attachments

• pict1.jpg
    pict1.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 195
Jonny "Two Combs"?!

Yup, none on ours either, although I think earlier ones may have had a handle. (I seem to recall a handle on the first one I was issued - wood furniture and apparently they were prone to NDs if bumped when ordering arms.) If they did, they were quickly removed on later ones, as were those on the FAL/R1.

Many teeth units' gubs were not fitted with slings so the rifle would always be carried in the ready position. Some like the donkey wallopers required slings for hands free ops to keep their insane transport under control, because apparently stapling a set of clips to Dobbin's head was not the done thing.

I encountered that sling-free-rifle-because-it's-a part-of-you philosophy in the training cadre of 10 Para.
In the IDF we had to sling them as I mentioned (except if in thick forest) and to be honest we wouldn't have managed without slings - just too many other weapons/gear to be operated/carried.

Latest Threads