Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Search for an *Ally* star

Is this the first entry in this thread for the RAF Regiment?

1944, Eindhoven area, Holland. Airmen from the RAF Regiment manning a captured German Spandau machine gun. (Corporal J. Wilkins of Middlesborough, Leading Aircraftmen H. Clay of Watford, and Leading Aircraftmen D. Freed of Birmingham.)

View attachment 510074
An excellent way to get a night time Mills bomb dropped on you.

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer

Yarra

Old-Salt
Is this the first entry in this thread for the RAF Regiment?

1944, Eindhoven area, Holland. Airmen from the RAF Regiment manning a captured German Spandau machine gun. (Corporal J. Wilkins of Middlesborough, Leading Aircraftmen H. Clay of Watford, and Leading Aircraftmen D. Freed of Birmingham.)

View attachment 510074Well, Boy Band, on the left, definitely looks proto SRDG.

seeing as the parachutists have arrived, could any of ye explain how Russian systems work? when you see footage of them jumping out the front doors of IL-76s,the static line appears to only deploy drogues and their chute opens later.Is this done manually or by some kind of automatic system?
It's probably similar to the rigs the Czech Army was using in 2000 when I was there on Ex RED KNIGHT. We jumped them with static-line out of the front door of an Mi-8, but they could be set up for stabilised fall ie with a drogue, or as a free-fall rig. The main canopy is steerable to a better degree than LLP but not a true steerable canopy. The landing was pretty gentle (though we were jumping without containers). The upper red handle is the freefall release and the lower one is the reserve release. You can see the relative sizes of main and reserve with the bloke next to me standing side on. The laundry bag shoved into the harness to was to tidy it all up into on the DZ.

E2A: no allyness is claimed in this phot of a much younger skinnier me.
RED KNIGHT.jpg

Last edited:
It's probably similar to the rigs the Czech Army was using in 1999 when I was there on Ex RED KNIGHT. We jumped them with static-line out of the front door of an Mi-8, but they could be set up for stabilised fall ie with a drogue, or as a free-fall rig. The main canopy is steerable to a better degree than LLP but not a true steerable canopy. The landing was pretty gentle (though we were jumping without containers). The upper red handle is the freefall release and the lower one is the reserve release. You can see the relative sizes of main and reserve with the bloke next to me standing side on. The laundry bag shoved into the harness to was to tidy it all up into on the DZ.

View attachment 512369

'Kin 'ell, the spindliest legs I've ever seen.

Nails.......Not sure what regiment though...

ElFiEb1WMAAmyy6.jpeg

It's probably similar to the rigs the Czech Army was using in 2000 when I was there on Ex RED KNIGHT. We jumped them with static-line out of the front door of an Mi-8, but they could be set up for stabilised fall ie with a drogue, or as a free-fall rig. The main canopy is steerable to a better degree than LLP but not a true steerable canopy. The landing was pretty gentle (though we were jumping without containers). The upper red handle is the freefall release and the lower one is the reserve release. You can see the relative sizes of main and reserve with the bloke next to me standing side on. The laundry bag shoved into the harness to was to tidy it all up into on the DZ.

View attachment 512369

Bet your knees are fucked with a fully loaded bergen wobbling around on top of those skinny drumsticks.

Does the hat camo say SADF?

I can't see if it has a swallow tail.

That said, IMI flogged the Galil to Columbia and as I can't tell the difference between their stuff and Vektor's, I don't have a clue (basically).

Last edited:

NSP

LE
I can't see if it has a swallow tail.

That said, IMI flogged the Galil to Columbia and as I can't tell the difference between their stuff and Vektor's, I don't have a clue (basically).
Galil takes a straight box in all flavours, doesn't it?

Galil takes a straight box in all flavours, doesn't it?
No, they often have a slight curve to them even in 5.56mm.

I would say that it's definitely a Galil or derivative such as R4/R5/R6, but I'm not enough of an expert to positively identify whether it's South African or Israeli.

The stock might be a distinctive indicator as it's not the standard tubular steel or plastic coated steel version. I've no idea who used it though.

Latest Threads