Army Rumour Service

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Search for an *Ally* star

Terence Murphy

This guy is an aviator ally. A Royal Marine who flew jets from RN Aircraft Carriers, flew helicopters in Aden. Commanded a company in 42 Cdo RM in Singapore and then commanded 3CBAS in Plymouth.

He left the RM in 1974 and later joined the Rhodesian Air Force flying in over 100 'Fireforce' contacts between 1976 and 1978. In 1980 he moved to South Africa joined the South African Special Forces until retiring at the age of 61 in the rank of Colonel.
murphy_2806346b.jpg

Last edited:
Apropos of nothing, I was with 246 Provo Coy, Helmstedt, for the whole of 1980. I actually married one of the NAAFI girls from the Roadhouse there in 1981.
Yes, I forgot there was a wrecker down there, a bit before my time though.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

I have had it pointed out to me that there are another couple apparently at it too. A couple of blades, allegedly, who run their own insta account and a t-shirt business showing weapon and gear related pics that you could only be taking if you owned/wore the gear. I do not have an insta account, don't want one, so I cannot look - if someone else could do the honours.

Their insta account is under: Login • Instagram

Their shop, oh yes, their shop, is at: STRIKE.READY

Supposed pics from their Insta page:

One of the lads pictured in the Instagram highlights is ex SFSG.

A photo of some international volunteers (Finns) in the YPG posing next to an cheery but unsuccessful SVBIED in Raqqah.
Note the flag on the kneeling (Dago?) bloke's arm...View attachment 508121

Talking of YPG, whilst tooling around Syria, we traversed the very flexible front line and came across what we thought was an abandoned FOB. On closer inspection we found this unassuming but brave Brit 'dug in'.

I know the area was overrun not long afterwards and I wonder what became of him.

IMG_0538.jpg

Did he tell you how he ended up there?
Genuine question.

He volunteered and entered Syria the same way we did IRRC: Erbil to Dohuk then cross the Tigris and over the border. I think he had some medical experience and possibly a of bit Reserve time.

A photo of some international volunteers (Finns) in the YPG posing next to an cheery but unsuccessful SVBIED in Raqqah.
Note the flag on the kneeling (Dago?) bloke's arm...View attachment 508121

Ok, noted; without going through Sheldon Cooper's book of flags.......what is it?

Last edited:

TamH70

MIA
Adding crimes against welding to their already bulky file .

I don't think the VBIED was one of theirs. I think they captured it from their nefarious opposition.

I don't think the VBIED was one of theirs. I think they captured it from their nefarious opposition.

Here's one that we found outside of Manbij. The YPJ shot the driver before he could get near the vehicle.

IMG_0443.jpg

Zhopa

War Hero
Is that really a VBIED? I ask because it seems massively over-engineered and has a lot of features that would seem redundant for a one-way trip - like provision for passengers, re-usable access to engine and fuel filler, and (bear with me here) wing mirrors which hardly seem necessary if there ain't no looking back.

It looks more intended as something for repeated use. Genuine question, I'm puzzled.

Is that really a VBIED? I ask because it seems massively over-engineered and has a lot of features that would seem redundant for a one-way trip - like provision for passengers, re-usable access to engine and fuel filler, and (bear with me here) wing mirrors which hardly seem necessary if there ain't no looking back.

It looks more intended as something for repeated use. Genuine question, I'm puzzled.
Perhaps it's designed to be moved from where it's built to where it's needed before being used?

Interesting, cheers for that. He is probably a nostalgic Spaniard whose grandad did his bit against Franco, which explains why he has that slightly unwashed look of a spic.

Casual racism anyone?

TamH70

MIA
Not forgetting that it has to be road legal, obvs

Tax? Fine. M.O.T? I've seen worse. Vehicle registration plate? Doable. Insurance?

Hell to the hell no. Suicide voids cover and no insurance company will cover the risk, so if any Traffic busies clocked the car, the driver would have a three hundred pound fine and six penalty points on the licence.

The vehicle is dual purpose. It's armoured to carry personnel (hey! that's an idea) but is also loaded with various types of explosives. When one of those comes racing towards the YPG/J positions everyone and their camel is firing at the thing so the driver need protection. I assume that once the personnel are debussed the vehicle cracks on with the martyr at the wheel.

We had a look inside and there were what looked to be 2 different triggers for an IED.

Latest Threads