Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Search for an *Ally* star

Surely the fact that they identify his partner, a socialite photographer, would be enough to confirm whether he is genuine or not? Or are you suggesting the entire Insta is fake?
I don't know Mike. Its not hard to photo shop photos and claim to be an ex blade. People have been doing it since 1941, which is why I am always sceptical. There is even a forum devoted to it on Arrse.

Last edited:
Senior Lieutenant Sergei Gayduk. except for his surname a very ally looking Soviet BTR commander in the Soviet Airborne in Afghanistan in 1978/79.

m51wyaqrwq051.jpg
XD6jYbuq0sutwh1OTcJ-6ID3HwG1YL7-IZSY0nuhfzc.jpg

QRK2

LE
Surely the fact that they identify his partner, a socialite photographer, would be enough to confirm whether he is genuine or not? Or are you suggesting the entire Insta is fake?

When he spoke to a group at RMAS not that long ago he upset a few of the OCdts over dinner with his enthusiasm for Trump. Didn't fit their received world view.

Last edited:
Senior Lieutenant Sergei Gayduk. except for his surname a very ally looking Soviet BTR commander in the Soviet Airborne in Afghanistan in 1978/79.

View attachment 507570View attachment 507571

Oh how the Russkies must be laughing their socks off at the West now, especially the USA for all the aid & support given to the "brave freedom fighters (Taliban), who have killed & maimed thousands of Western troops after we had to go in. Methinks we should have just let the Russians get on with it & eliminate them!!

I don't know Mike. Its not hard to photo shop photos and claim to be an ex blade. People have been doing it since 1941, which is why I am always sceptical. There is even a forum devoted to it on Arrse.

I have had it pointed out to me that there are another couple apparently at it too. A couple of blades, allegedly, who run their own insta account and a t-shirt business showing weapon and gear related pics that you could only be taking if you owned/wore the gear. I do not have an insta account, don't want one, so I cannot look - if someone else could do the honours.

Their insta account is under: Login • Instagram

Their shop, oh yes, their shop, is at: STRIKE.READY

Supposed pics from their Insta page:

Pteranadon

LE
Book Reviewer
MOJOs. Ex-Polish soldiers who couldn't go back. They drove tank transporters for BAOR. Almost as strange is that there is an MoD home for ex-Polish Forces just off the A38 at the turn-off for Newton Abbot. See Ilford Park: Ilford Park Polish Home.
When tank transporters arrived to move our battery's M109s in 1984, the mojos (MSOs) were wearing eagle badges. I asked the chief MoJo, an old guy what the badges were and meant. He said they were all ex Polish forces and that he had commanded a tank in the Polish Armoured Division. He looked old enough.

The BAOR other civilian transport group - the MCTG also have a wartime origin. They were transferred directly from the Wehrmacht to provide logistics for the hundreds of thousands of German prisoners at the end of the war. 632 MCTG was the transport column for a Parachute Corps. In the 1970s and 80s staff superintendents (Officers) and Superintendents (NCOs) were German WW2 veterans. According the the OC reunions involved much conversation along the lines of "I haven't seen you since Kharkov in '43"

MCTG and MSO's did not mix well....

Last edited:
The BAOR other civilian transport group - the MCTG also have a wartime origin. They were transferred directly from the Wehrmacht to provide logistics for the hundreds of thousands of German prisoners at the end of the war. 632 MCTG was the transport column for a Parachute Corps. In the 1970s and 80s staff superintendents (Officers) and Superintendents (NCOs) were German WW2 veterans. According the the OC reunions involved much conversation along the lines of "I haven't seen you since Kharkov in '43"

The OC of 248 German Security Unit in W Berlin when I was there held both the MBE and the Iron Cross!!

ETA: 248 GSU was a sub-unit of 2 Regt RMP (the other two being 246 Pro Coy back down in the Zone at Helmstedt and 247 Pro Coy in W Berlin itself).

ETA 2: the Iron Cross was specifically awarded for knocking out a T34 during the Battle for Berlin in 1945 with a Panzerfaust . . . the recipient was just 17 at the time!!

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Last edited:
All this talk of strange allegiances brings this bloke to mind who fits very well into the 'ally' thread. He was born Lauri Toerni in Finland, served in the Finnish military as an officer fighting Russian communists, when that fell to poop he managed to carry on fighting Russian communists by joining the SS as an officer. That did not go down well at the end of WW2, and after a suitable period of porridge he moved to the USA, joined the army, joined Special Forces and carried on fighting communists before an untimely death in Vietnam, 1965. Major Larry Thorne is buried in Arlington National Cemetary.

All this talk of strange allegiances brings this bloke to mind who fits very well into the 'ally' thread. He was born Lauri Toerni in Finland, served in the Finnish military as an officer fighting Russian communists, when that fell to poop he managed to carry on fighting Russian communists by joining the SS as an officer. That did not go down well at the end of WW2, and after a suitable period of porridge he moved to the USA, joined the army, joined Special Forces and carried on fighting communists before an untimely death in Vietnam, 1965. Major Larry Thorne is buried in Arlington National Cemetary.

By some accounts he fought with the 11th SS Panzer Grenadier Division 'Nordland' in the Seelow Heights and the final battle in Berlin.. More the -' my enemies enemy is my friend' and the chance to go on slotting commies than being a Nazi. Hence fighting in Vietnam. A bit like the Latvians and Estonians, a number of them also fought on the Russian front and later in Vietnam with USSF.

Still, there can't be many former Waffen SS officers buried in Arlington.

QRK2

LE

He appears in this

He appears in this
I bet his soldiers were whinging "was this f*cker in the SS" when he was beasting them in the gym? I wonder how PFC Gonzales would have got on behind the lines in Eastern Europe if the balloon had gone up?

Edit. As Bad Tolz was originally a Waffen SS officer training academy, Larry must have known his way around including all the best bars and brothels. It must have been difficult to remember not to break into 'Goose Steps' on the parade ground. Especially as Bad Tolz was also the 7th US Army's NCO Training Academy.

Last edited:
My bold .. I think most chaps who served in the wars were.
I met a good few, some were teachers in my school. My 2nd headmaster was an ex RAF Sqdn. Ldr. with the DFC, he had served in Burma, it only came out as he was filling in teaching (& failing) us Latin and there was a picture of an ox cart in one of the text books. "I saw something like that in Burma" he said, prompting numerous questions from us, every time he filled in, (anything to avoid the dreaded Latin).
Our next HM was ex Lt. Cmdr. RNVR with a DSC, he was on MGB's/MTB's out of Harwich, he was much more tight lipped and we learnt virtually nothing about him.
Another chap, a Sales Manager for a company I dealt with for almost 10 years was with me on a flight to Edinburgh and we had a particularly bad/bumpy landing due to v. strong gusty winds. "That was the worst landing I have had since Arnhem" he said! Turns out he was one of the glider pilots, I never heard him mention it again!

In the early 60s' a new headmaster was appointed to the high school (I think the UK equivalent would be a comprehensive school) near where I lived. He had been the commanding officer of X-10 in Operation Source, the attack on the Tirpitz. This fact was well known at the time and he was eventually prevailed upon to speak to the school about it which he did but never spoke of it again. From Wiki:
X-10: unofficially named Excalibur,[25] commanded by Lt Hudspeth, Royal Australian Naval Volunteer Reserve

Durandal1

Old-Salt
A photo of some international volunteers (Finns) in the YPG posing next to an cheery but unsuccessful SVBIED in Raqqah.
Note the flag on the kneeling (Dago?) bloke's arm...
EjAOo5SXcAAA6AA.jpg

Last edited:

Arte_et_Marte

ADC
The OC of 248 German Security Unit in W Berlin when I was there held both the MBE and the Iron Cross!!

ETA: 248 GSU was a sub-unit of 2 Regt RMP (the other two being 246 Pro Coy back down in the Zone at Helmstedt and 247 Pro Coy in W Berlin itself).

ETA 2: the Iron Cross was specifically awarded for knocking out a T34 during the Battle for Berlin in 1945 with a Panzerfaust . . . the recipient was just 17 at the time!!

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Apropos of nothing, I was with 246 Provo Coy, Helmstedt, for the whole of 1980. I actually married one of the NAAFI girls from the Roadhouse there in 1981.

Latest Threads