Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Search for an *Ally* star

[Fred Riff] You'll be aware that, during the first unpleasantness, Jewish men formed 5 complete Battalions of the Royal Fusiliers (38th to 42nd (Service) Bns RF)?

Several interesting pages of history out there . . .

[/Fred Riff]

Cheers. I didn't realise there were complete battalions of Jews other than the Zion Mule Corps (and the Jewish Brigade in WW2).

Edited to add
Upon looking, I understand they were a kind of continuation of the ZMC.

Last edited:

Pteranadon

LE
Book Reviewer
The Jewish Brigade were recruited from within Palestine though, weren't they, not from within the UK.
Jewish Brigades were a political gesture not unconnected to Zionisim. There were many Jews serving in the British Army as can be seen from the stars of David beneath many cap badges on WW! war graves.

There had been an influx of poor Jewish refugees in the decades before WW1. Many settled in the Whitechapel area of London. The local Territorial Battalion of the London Regiment turned away many Jews for fear that their battalion would be for all purposes a Jewish unit. Jacob Rothschild arranged for jews that wanted to serve to join the TA Unit local to his country house, and arranged for a recruitment office for 5th (?) Ox and Bucks in Smith New Court the offices of JR Rothschid Bank. I read of this when someone investigated why a battalion of the Ox and Bucks had a Rabbi as a padre. .

The WW2 Jewish Brigade started as the Palestine Brigade but the non Jewish elements were ethnically cleansed by Monachem Begin's pals.

IRRC There was also a problem with desertion from the Poles who came out of Russia. Many of the Jews joined the Zionists rather than the Polish Army in exile.

Bodenplatte

War Hero
First time I've seen this one - 21st Independent Parachute Company during Operation Market Garden:

It's shown on an information board in the garden of the house in Arnhem. The book is the Visitors Book.

1600981584033.png

There are two Glider pilots in the photo, on the left.

IRRC There was also a problem with desertion from the Poles who came out of Russia. Many of the Jews joined the Zionists rather than the Polish Army in exile.
I thought the Poles who came out of Russia made it to Pershia/Iran which was occupied by the British at the time who re-equiped them to fight as II Polish Corps in Italy ?

potter

Old-Salt
Interesting camouflage pattern they are wearing. I don't recall seeing it anywhere before.
It's the photo, not the uniform. The image is in Martin MIddlebrook's "Arnhem 1944" and he ascribes the mottling to "damp while the film was hidden in the house when the Kremers were forced to leave after the battle".

Oyibo

LE
Interesting camouflage pattern they are wearing. I don't recall seeing it anywhere before.
That's what I though initially but it is, in fact, damage to the photo. It has been touched up at some stage and they missed out some of the uniforms.

Below is a photo of the same group that has not been touched up:

1601018362539.png

Last edited:

Pteranadon

LE
Book Reviewer
I thought the Poles who came out of Russia made it to Pershia/Iran which was occupied by the British at the time who re-equiped them to fight as II Polish Corps in Italy ?
The personnel were transferred to the Polish Corps - Anders Army which formed in Palestine and Egypt. I have read that some stayed to fight for a Jewish homeland.

My bold ... Many, many years ago I met a Polish chap who claimed to have done this, he had been sent to the gulags as a 15 year old by the Russians and from wiki this is what happened "The opportunity to form another Polish army came in 1941, following an agreement between the Polish government in exile and Joseph Stalin, the Soviets releasing Polish soldiers, civilians and citizens from imprisonment. From these, a 75,000-strong army was formed in the Soviet Union under General Władysław Anders (Anders' Army). This army, successively gathered in Bouzoulouk, Samarkand, was later ferried from Krasnovodsk across the Caspian Sea to the Middle East (Iran) where Polish II Corps was formed ."
He fought at Monte Cassino, winning the DSM, which I vaguely remember him showing me.
He disliked the Germans intensely for what they had done to his country, but truly HATED the Russians for what they had done to both him & his country!
Apparently he & his colleagues were just told to walk from the gulag, with virtually no food or assistance from the Russian authorities, more or less living off the land!

Bloke who ran the camp site in Maxixe in Moz was captured by the Russians as a 13 year old defending Berlin. Spent years in the gulags and has similar stories.

Bodenplatte

War Hero
My bold ... Many, many years ago I met a Polish chap who claimed to have done this, he had been sent to the gulags as a 15 year old by the Russians and from wiki this is what happened "The opportunity to form another Polish army came in 1941, following an agreement between the Polish government in exile and Joseph Stalin, the Soviets releasing Polish soldiers, civilians and citizens from imprisonment. From these, a 75,000-strong army was formed in the Soviet Union under General Władysław Anders (Anders' Army). This army, successively gathered in Bouzoulouk, Samarkand, was later ferried from Krasnovodsk across the Caspian Sea to the Middle East (Iran) where Polish II Corps was formed ."

I have a friend, still with us, who was one of these men. He was only 13 when deported, and 16 when Anders' Army formed up, but he was accepted, and went on to be slightly wounded at Cassino, then again near Bologna, and left for dead, in the final weeks of the war. 15th Poznan Uhlans, the Recce regiment in 5th Division, II Polish Corps.

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
I have a friend, still with us, who was one of these men. He was only 13 when deported, and 16 when Anders' Army formed up, but he was accepted, and went on to be slightly wounded at Cassino, then again near Bologna, and left for dead, in the final weeks of the war. 15th Poznan Uhlans, the Recce regiment in 5th Division, II Polish Corps.
Such lives lived. I feel awfully humble next to such people.

He fought at Monte Cassino, winning the DSM, which I vaguely remember him showing me.
He disliked the Germans intensely for what they had done to his country, but truly HATED the Russians for what they had done to both him & his country!
Apparently he & his colleagues were just told to walk from the gulag, with virtually no food or assistance from the Russian authorities, more or less living off the land!

1980 We still had the ????? cannot remember what we called them but some were displaced in the Second World War working for the Army , bottle washers and plate cleaners, even used to come on exercise with us.

Another (somewhat) Jewish soldier was VC winner John Patrick Kenneally of the Irish Guards, celebrated in a speech by Churchill for the role of the Irish who fought in WWII.

Eh? Doesn't sound very Jewish.

In fact former deserter Leslie Jackson, as far was we can tell, had not the slightest connection with the Emerald Isle but was in fact the illegitimate son of a Mancunian Jewish textile manufacturer.

Bodenplatte

War Hero
Such lives lived. I feel awfully humble next to such people.
Yes - and they're always so modest.
Many stories about my friend's adventures. When the Soviets deported him with his family, the rail journey to Siberia took three weeks. He was a Boy Scout, and used his clasp knife to dig a hole in the wooden floor of the railway wagon for the occupants to use as a toilet.
When he was badly wounded at Bologna he was a Radio Op in the back seat of a Universal Carrier when it hit an A/T mine which completely mangled the little vehicle and killed the commander and driver. He was thrown clear, suffering a badly broken leg. He still needs a built up shoe.

And then Attlee's government, to appease the Soviets, would not allow the Free Poles to take part in the Victory Parade in London.

Last edited:

Latest Threads