Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Search for an *Ally* star

Ally image spoilt by those nobbly white legs. What happened to getting your knees brown? I know its Africa but that is taking 'playing the white man' a bit too far!

My bold .. 'cos on border patrol I normally wore long KD trousers to protect the legs against nasty vegetation/insects, see my follow on post in the Stirling thread

"That was "normal" everyday uniform, with the exception of the Bush hat which was worn on the ranges and replaced the standard peaked hat.
The kit below was a mixture of "borrowed/acquired" stuff I wore whilst actually on border patrol. An acquired Camo jacket from a former Katangese mercenary, long uniform drill trousers and a bought pair of non uniform high leg boots, the shotgun was normally the Greener S/G!
This photo was of a river patrol looking for a case of ritual murder. The informant is next to me, between the guy in civvies who was a reserve policeman whose boat e used. The African at the back was a Det. Constable in civvies, the other 2 were A/insps who were there informally to give a bit of back up, should we encounter any problems.
As you can see away from the town & in the bush our outfits were somewhat non regulation.

1600171847625.png

My bold .. 'cos on border patrol I normally wore long KD trousers to protect the legs against nasty vegetation/insects, see my follow on post in the Stirling thread

"That was "normal" everyday uniform, with the exception of the Bush hat which was worn on the ranges and replaced the standard peaked hat.
The kit below was a mixture of "borrowed/acquired" stuff I wore whilst actually on border patrol. An acquired Camo jacket from a former Katangese mercenary, long uniform drill trousers and a bought pair of non uniform high leg boots, the shotgun was normally the Greener S/G!
This photo was of a river patrol looking for a case of ritual murder. The informant is next to me, between the guy in civvies who was a reserve policeman whose boat e used. The African at the back was a Det. Constable in civvies, the other 2 were A/insps who were there informally to give a bit of back up, should we encounter any problems.
As you can see away from the town & in the bush our outfits were somewhat non regulation.

1600171847625.png
I've read that in the early days in western Canada the NWMP (now known as the RCMP) used to do their routine patrolling on horseback in practical civilian clothes. If they needed to make a good impression on the local Indians they would stop and put on their uniforms before they reached the village or camp in question. I think this was related to saving wear and tear on their uniforms during long patrols in remote areas.

Apparently "black nasty" is issued in oval shapes nowadays,.............who would have thought.

Anyway, this is the chap who did the business in Nairobi. He has picked up the name "Obi Wan Nairobi" as a result of his actions. Platatac the Aussie company produced a limited run patch in his honour.

Patch design belongs to Platatac.

Apparently "black nasty" is issued in oval shapes nowadays,.............who would have thought.

Anyway, this is the chap who did the business in Nairobi. He has picked up the name "Obi Wan Nairobi" as a result of his actions. Platatac the Aussie company produced a limited run patch in his honour.

I like the way he has used some nice matching satin ribbon to embroider the cuffs of his sleeves, it really finishes off the whole ensemble with a subtle but still expressive touch.

I like the way he has used some nice matching satin ribbon to embroider the cuffs of his sleeves, it really finishes off the whole ensemble with a subtle but still expressive touch.

........, yes,..............

I've read that in the early days in western Canada the NWMP (now known as the RCMP) used to do their routine patrolling on horseback in practical civilian clothes. If they needed to make a good impression on the local Indians they would stop and put on their uniforms before they reached the village or camp in question. I think this was related to saving wear and tear on their uniforms during long patrols in remote areas.
They certainly told Sitting Bull and the boys a thing or two after their home match with General Custer and the 7th Cavalry.

He's also left and now gone live on Insta.
Not loads of posts, but answering some bizarre questions about his clothing during Nairobi

Not loads of posts, but answering some bizarre questions about his clothing during Nairobi
Well that is strange? A bloke who I met in the pub the other night said that he was the one in Nairobi that slotted the terr's and that anyone else who claimed to be him was a walt. He also said that he got his jeans from Amazon and that they weren't Armani. Those were the ones he bought in the market in Bangkok. He appeared gen.

Well that is strange? A bloke who I met in the pub the other night said that he was the one in Nairobi that slotted the terr's and that anyone else who claimed to be him was a walt. He also said that he got his jeans from Amazon and that they weren't Armani. Those were the ones he bought in the market in Bangkok. He appeared gen.

real walts wear kilts so he must've been gen

Hmm.. if he's so worried about the CORRECT colour, it should perhaps read
"59% purple 41% grey, but 100% gay"!!

Oyibo

LE
First time I've seen this one - 21st Independent Parachute Company during Operation Market Garden:

1600964448070.png

Oyibo

LE
Is the bloke to the left of the one with the book auditioning for Igor in Young Frankenstein

I did have a double-take when I saw him on the photo. Here's his brief bio:

The man with the book is buried at Arnhem

I did have a double-take when I saw him on the photo. Here's his brief bio:

The man with the book is buried at Arnhem

Sonny would seem to have been a bit of a dancer, post-War:

Also Jewish, which must have been difficult as a PW:

Oyibo

LE
That's good stuff any more info on the others would be gratefully received

I'm having a bit of difficulty finding the background to some of them as some sources dispute who the 'man with the book' is. But suffice to say that someone I know tends to his grave in Arnhem (There is a photo, but it was posted on a private forum, so I won't post it here). Some accounts say the book was a 'guestbook' for the hotel in the background.

All their names are tagged in the link below:

Oyibo

LE
Sonny would seem to have been a bit of a dancer, post-War:

Also Jewish, which must have been difficult as a PW:

Interesting - Capt Stanley Cairns Cpl John Rodley's gravestone has a Star of David, so I wonder if, perhaps, the people in the photo were Jewish members of 21st Independent Parachute Company.

As you say, being a Jewish POW must have been very difficult

ETA Correction above and:

His tombstone says that he was 'Hans Rosenfeld who Served as 14623901 Cpl JP Rodley'. So I'm guessing that Jewish people had their religions disguised for obvious reasone

Last edited:

Latest Threads