Search for an *Ally* star

Americans reverse engineered the MG42, made it less complicated and slowed the rate of fire, the result was the M60
If I remember rightly they used design aspects from both the FG42 and the MG42.
The action from the FG and the MG belt feed.

Bodenplatte

Old-Salt
View attachment 488995

A member of the baby division (12 SS Panzer Division Hitler Jugend) in his romper suit made of captured Italien camouflaged materiel
!2th SS-Pz Div Hitlerjugend faced 3 Cdn Div in Normandy, and killing of prisoners began on both sides within a few days of D-Day. A "No SS Prisoners" policy within the Canadian Division had to be officially prohibited. This youngster has had a session in a Canadian Romper Room:-

1594516465749.png

1594516846588.png

Last edited:
!2th SS-Pz Div Hitlerjugend faced 3 Cdn Div in Normandy, and killing of prisoners began on both sides within a few days of D-Day. A "No SS Prisoners" policy within the Canadian Division had to be officially prohibited. This youngster has had a session in a Canadian Romper Room:-

View attachment 489003

View attachment 489005
Actually I read somewhere about the true story of the circumstances of his injuries. It was obtained in combat, not as retribution by the Canadian soldier as the photo appears to suggest.

syrup

LE
The Germans also took over tons of Italian camouflage fabric and made tunics and clothing for the SS, as well tons of Italian leather jackets which were also issued to the U-boat arm and the Panzer troops. They had been using other people's kit since taking over Czechoslovakia. The German gas mask container was routinely used for carrying bottles of wine or water or bread or other rations and even a gas mask, which was used by the Germans for flamethrowing operations or using smoke grenades in confined spaces like Warsaw's sewers
There's a YouTube video on another thread on here sbowing an SS unit coming fron Czechoslovakia s d crossing into American lines.
In one shot they are riding on a Scammel presumably captured at Dunkirk.

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
There's a YouTube video on another thread on here sbowing an SS unit coming fron Czechoslovakia s d crossing into American lines.
In one shot they are riding on a Scammel presumably captured at Dunkirk.
In which case, there's a wagon that could tell many a tale.

Pteranadon

LE
Book Reviewer
Too many boxheads. SS - Falschirmjaegers fancy gear but losers all.

If results define ally then this is ally. Here are the chaps who stalked Tiger tanks in thinly armoured SP Guns. 73 Anti-tank Regiment El Alamein, Sicily, Italy, Normandy Netherlands Germany. The 3" version of this SP was a good anti-tank gun. The 17 Pounder SP was a terror and would knock out any German tank it hit.

A detachment from 234th Anti Tank Battery and General Barber GOC 15 Scottish Division Goch Germany 1945. Great selection of beret styles. The tank suit was ally enough for me to try out a set in Germany in the 1980s. Great in the cold, but not waterproof.

Last edited:

Pteranadon

LE
Book Reviewer
60 Pdr IWM .jpg

Forgive me if this has been posted before - I do suffer senior moments.
This is my favourite Great War Gunner photograph. A blown up copy hung in the HQRA 4 Div corridor. These are the workmen of warfare serving a piece of industrial machinery. The bombardier on the left catches the eye. His only military equipment is the racing spoon in his puttees. He is artillery ally.
These are not nine mile snipers. This photo was taken near Corbie on the Somme on 1st April 1918 at the end of the big retreat. This is within a mile of the front line. These medium guns about to deliver the good news to the Hun that this is as far as they will get.

Latest Threads