Search for an *Ally* star

NSP

LE
What was it that made German uniforms ally and the British border on sartorial silliness?

Ally?

Not so Ally.
Speaking as a dirty civvy I have to say that Monty should have an automatic exemption. Possibly even Erwin, too, given that he was apparently a decent (as in, humanitarian) soldier and part of that plot (allegedly) and thus not a Nazi - well, not by then anyway. Personally, I have my doubts before that - played the game to keep his head above water. My paternal grandfather, as much as he'd speak about his experiences, always reckoned that it was the ethos Rommel instilled in his subordinate officers that saw him drive away unsullied from one very close encounter.

Last edited:
....and we can go back to ally via a German mass murderer

apologies if this has been posted before.
A highly decorated mass murderer, although he didn't actually murder anyone but took the wrap for his men. Previously his command had taken hundreds of Americans prisoner without firing a shot.

Plus the US Army used torture on Young Waffen SS soldiers of 17/18 to obtain confessions. That is why none of the soldiers condemmed to death in the Malmedy Trial was actually executed. Senator Joe McCarthy of 'Are you, or have you ever been a member a Communist' fame, made a big deal of it.

riksavage

Old-Salt
A highly decorated mass murderer, although he didn't actually murder anyone but took the wrap for his men. Previously his command had taken hundreds of Americans prisoner without firing a shot.

Plus the US Army used torture on Young Waffen SS soldiers of 17/18 to obtain confessions. That is why none of the soldiers condemmed to death in the Malmedy Trial was actually executed. Senator Joe McCarthy of 'Are you, or have you ever been a member a Communist' fame, made a big deal of it.
Didn’t he eventually retire to France and end up getting wacked (burnt in his home) by French communists?

Last edited:

Pteranadon

LE
Book Reviewer
The Germans went with Hugo Boss, the Brits went with Billy Smarts Circus!
or Robert Baden Powell!

If you ever get a chance to hear James Holland talk do so. I heard him give an hour lecture on the clothing and personal equipment choices of the British German and US Armies. He illustrated this with items of his own clothing - the US Army parachute smock he wanders around in , British gas mask case repurposed as his computer bag and a German army gas mask case. The core of his argument is that the political purpose behind German design was designed to impress and a national fetish for over engineering.
Isn't that what we mean by Ally? Something that looks good and guaranteed to do the required job even if ludicrously expensive. The opposite being looing crap and falling apart.

or Robert Baden Powell!

If you ever get a chance to hear James Holland talk do so. I heard him give an hour lecture on the clothing and personal equipment choices of the British German and US Armies. He illustrated this with items of his own clothing - the US Army parachute smock he wanders around in , British gas mask case repurposed as his computer bag and a German army gas mask case. The core of his argument is that the political purpose behind German design was designed to impress and a national fetish for over engineering.
Isn't that what we mean by Ally? Something that looks good and guaranteed to do the required job even if ludicrously expensive. The opposite being looing crap and falling apart.
Looking crap and falling apart. So, 84 pattern combats then.
BTW, what does he use the German gas mask case for?

TamH70

MIA
There are rumours it was MOSSAD that got him. I doubt the French Communists had the balls, frankly. They're shit hot at shaving women's heads and so on but going up against a hardened alte kampfer like Peiper? Nope.

QRK2

LE

Pteranadon

LE
Book Reviewer
Looking crap and falling apart. So, 84 pattern combats then.
BTW, what does he use the German gas mask case for?
He uses it to demonstrate German over engineering. It is a marvellously engineered for a piece of equipment never used in six years of war. There is a compartment for the spare lenses. The British equivalent is a cheap webbing day sack, which Holland uses for his stuff.

TamH70

MIA
It would, of course, be racist in this current climate to post a picture of said miscreant and speculate as to whom the bullets would have been destined for before interception by the Old Bill but ****'em.

Pteranadon

LE
Book Reviewer

QRK2

LE
James Holland again. He and Al Murray have had some excellent guests I commend the Dunkirk and D Day episodes. AHB and NHB historians on the air and naval aspects. Al Murray's father on the defence of Hazebrouck was brilliant.
Murray's book readings (The Cauldron, etc) are also excellent.

And yet by war's end the Germans were copying battledress. Not sexy, but functional.
The Germans were up to that lark waaaay before then.

Having captured thousands of British battle dress uniforms during the Fall of France/Dunkirk, they were eager to utilise them but pushed to figure out how without falling foul of the Geneva Convention.

Until some bright spark came up with U-Boat crews:

1594381754029.png

Oberleutnant zur See (later Kapitänleutnant) Fritz-Julius Lemp RKT. Other than replacing the buttons with Kriegsmarine standard buttons, the uniform was good to go.

The crews loved it: durable, hard wearing and relatively comfortable within the close confines of the boat, once supplies were becoming exhausted, they turned to producing their own version.

The Germans were up to that lark waaaay before then.

Having captured thousands of British battle dress uniforms during the Fall of France/Dunkirk, they were eager to utilise them but pushed to figure out how without falling foul of the Geneva Convention.

Until some bright spark came up with U-Boat crews:

View attachment 488590

Oberleutnant zur See (later Kapitänleutnant) Fritz-Julius Lemp RKT. Other than replacing the buttons with Kriegsmarine standard buttons, the uniform was good to go.

The crews loved it: durable, hard wearing and relatively comfortable within the close confines of the boat, once supplies were becoming exhausted, they turned to producing their own version.
I hope they had the hairy Marys to go with them.

Latest Threads