Search for an *Ally* star

Chimp

ADC
.........and next week, the bomber jacket, stone washed jeans and a stick on bandito 'tash
Well I have to get sorted for university don't I?

Bodenplatte

War Hero
Pistol, as I recall from history lessons.
Indeed. A Browning Model 1910 cal .380 ACP (9mm Short).

Foe many years the whereabouts of the pistol was unknown, and it seemed lost to history. It was widely believed that Princip, the assassin, had used a Model 1900 cal 7.65mm Browning (.32 ACP).

Then, in 2004 the pistol turned up.

It had originally been seized by the police after the assassination, but then found its way into the possession of an Austrian Jesuit priest who had been accompanying Franz Ferdinand and Sophie, and had given the last rites to them. He kept it, with other personal artefacts of the Grand Duke, with the intention of creating a museum.

Because of the outbreak of war this never happened, and the gun just seemed to disappear into the vacuum of history.

Ninety years later it was rediscovered in the archives of a Jesuit community house in southern Austria and was donated to the Austrian National Military Museum. It was loaned to the Imperial War Museum in London for a while - I don't know if it has been returned to Austria.

Indeed. A Browning Model 1910 cal .380 ACP (9mm Short).

Foe many years the whereabouts of the pistol was unknown, and it seemed lost to history. It was widely believed that Princip, the assassin, had used a Model 1900 cal 7.65mm Browning (.32 ACP).

Then, in 2004 the pistol turned up.

It had originally been seized by the police after the assassination, but then found its way into the possession of an Austrian Jesuit priest who had been accompanying Franz Ferdinand and Sophie, and had given the last rites to them. He kept it, with other personal artefacts of the Grand Duke, with the intention of creating a museum.

Because of the outbreak of war this never happened, and the gun just seemed to disappear into the vacuum of history.

Ninety years later it was rediscovered in the archives of a Jesuit community house in southern Austria and was donated to the Austrian National Military Museum. It was loaned to the Imperial War Museum in London for a while - I don't know if it has been returned to Austria.
Last time I was in Vienna, about 2 years back it was definitely on display along with the car they were in and the uniform F.F. was wearing on the day.

True, dat.
crab air had the same idea with desi boots being the thing to be seen in on a Saturday pub crawl and bop. Provided the drain pipe jeans and mil themed T shirt were sufficiently up to par it would cause Many a maiden to swoon to the high sense of fashion displayed

Ah, I miss the 70s

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

NSP

LE
The Tokarev is based on the Browning 1910/1911.

Makarev Tokarov Takamov Tarmacarov
I wondered that but saw more of the 1910 curves and general shape in the Mak rather than the Tok.

The Tok looks more Browning 1903 to my inexperienced eye.

I wondered that but saw more of the 1910 curves and general shape in the Mak rather than the Tok.

The Tok looks more Browning 1903 to my inexperienced eye.
As I understand it, the specification process for what became the Makarov was to take the Walter PP and say "design something like this, only cheaper and easier to manufacture".

crab air had the same idea with desi boots being the thing to be seen in on a Saturday pub crawl and bop. Provided the drain pipe jeans and mil themed T shirt were sufficiently up to par it would cause Many a maiden to swoon to the high sense of fashion displayed

Ah, I miss the 70s

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Military T shirt and the RAF? Shirley shome mishtake?

As I understand it, the specification process for what became the Makarov was to take the Walter PP and say "design something like this, only cheaper and easier to manufacture".
The team of NKVD killers under Blokhin who was in charge, among other horrors, of executing the 22,000 members of the Polish intelligentsia who were later buried in Katyn used Walter pistols. This also led to some confusion when the bodies were found as it was a German weapon.

Blokhin apparently swore by them and had several. They were capable of whistanding his routine of 250 executions a night, unlike Soviet pistols then available says the story.

Niamac

GCM
Baggy trousers - shag as hell. FG42 and transport in the background.

1594145234960.png

Would not like to annoy him when he was at his work.

ColdWarWorrier

Old-Salt
When they ran in at low level to attack the airfield at Stanley he described soldiers firing down at him with their rifles from a hill.
On his return to the Islands he noticed a telephone wire strung between two poles that was estimated at 20 feet.
He pointed out he didn't remember it when he flew in last time.
One of the guys who was in the tower pointed out him and his wingman flew under it.
Reports from both Argentinians and Islanders stated the Harriers crossed the open ground at about 5 feet above the ground going like the clappers
Dave Morgan is even more nails than many know.

As a young-ish squaddie, I was lucky enough to be attached to an RAF Harrier Squadron (pre-Falklands) and got to know Dave Morgan quite well.

He started his career in the Navy and served as a Wessex pilot in NI. On a routine medical he was found to have a serious heart defect and medically discharged.

He underwent open-heart surgery (and has an impressive scar around more than half of his body). Fully recovered, the Navy wouldn’t take him back having medically binned him, so he applied to the RAF instead.

Already a qualified pilot, he was selected for fast jet training and ended up flying Harriers. Most of his Harrier career is well known. He also featured in an advert for the British Heart foundation, standing beside a Harrier in full kit with the caption: “2,500 flying hours ago, I had my heart operation.”

Post Falklands, he managed to transfer back to the RN and continued flying Sea Harriers. After leaving the Navy he went onto a further career flying 747s for Virgin Atlantic.

One of the nicest, modest self-effacing people I have ever met and I owe him a personal debt of gratitude as he was instrumental in my decision to apply for flying training and eventual transfer to the Army Air Corps and a career flying helicopters.

If you haven’t read his book on his experiences in the Falklands, ‘Hostile Skies’, I can heartlily recommend it.

Truly nails.

7B0379D9-F77C-4913-9E23-6E3B9491AF0E.jpeg

The team of NKVD killers under Blokhin who was in charge, among other horrors, of executing the 22,000 members of the Polish intelligentsia who were later buried in Katyn used Walter pistols. This also led to some confusion when the bodies were found as it was a German weapon.

Blokhin apparently swore by them and had several. They were capable of whistanding his routine of 250 executions a night, unlike Soviet pistols then available says the story.

German engineering at its best then. Unfortunatly.

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Seconded by the Italian garrison at Gran Sasso an hour before the photo was taken. Who surrendered in five minutes of him landing without firing a shot.

In the best traditions of the Italian Army.
Arditi - Wikipedia

2114BD5B-6D74-4E20-92B4-DE115C2B2490.jpeg

Latest Threads