Search for an *Ally* star

P.O.N.T.I

War Hero
I was once daft enough to agree to a ex Buccaneer pilot that he show me “low level” over the sea in a Hawk T1. 500kts, at a height that is lower than the undercarriage, (his words), scared the be-jees out of me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

More worryingly, what where the bejees doing inside you?..................any photos?.............for a friend

But according to my Dad, former 1 PARA, Clarks desert boots were the footwear of choice in Aden.
I can't see Clark's lasting very long in the Radfan. Before Granby, by far the best desert boots were made by John White. They were essentially thick suede DMS and were very robust and heavy.

The GW1 jungle boot style was slightly better, as the canvas reduced weight even if it also reduced ankle support. The sole was the same. I had a pair of export batch hi-legs from JW. They had double top buckles like French Rangers and were bullet proof. The only downside was that they made my feet honk like a clown car (for some reason). Unfortunately they weren't spaniel-proof.

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
Canadian sniper demonstrating the MacAdam shovel from WW1

View attachment 484796

I see that in the days before pixelation to preserve snipers’ identities they just cut their heads off.

As my post shows, there is nothing intelligent about me - so I could have been MI I suppose.

But no, I was a member of the finest Corps ever to grace Her Majesty's ORBAT.

But according to my Dad, former 1 PARA, Clarks desert boots were the footwear of choice in Aden.
Chukka boots were frequently worn in '61,think they were Clarks............mind you,being in Armoured Cars,having to actually march anywhere would have been a shock to the system.Often wore sandshoes,as well.
bpferret.jpg

Last edited:
Often wore sandshoes,as well.
Soviet airborne and spetsnaz forces in Afghanistan often ditched their clumsy issue boots for Moskva Adidas-ripoff trainers.

b17ffe02993bf8a09054dde71017d4b2--special-force-group-special-forces.jpg

Members of the KGB Alfa Group.

TamH70

MIA
Soviet airborne and Spetsnaz forces in Afghanistan often ditched their clumsy issue boots for Moskva Adidas-ripoff trainers.

View attachment 486766
Members of the KGB Alfa Group.
That fashion caught on to the point it shows up in Ukrainian and Russian video games like the Metro 20XX series and the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. franchise, particularly in the Bandit factions in the latter games.

That fashion caught on to the point it shows up in Ukrainian and Russian video games like the Metro 20XX series and the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. franchise, particularly in the Bandit factions in the latter games.
The bandits were also fond of that other Afgankha fashion accessory, the gorka jacket.

"А ну, чики-брики и в дамки!"

TamH70

MIA
The bandits were also fond of that other Afgankha fashion accessory, the gorka jacket.

"А ну, чики-брики и в дамки!"
I recognize that quote.

"A nu, chiki-briki i v damke!"

Usually said by a Bandit in Cordon just before he halves me in two with his Sawn-off Shotgun.

Usually said by a Bandit in Cordon just before he halves me in two with his Sawn-off Shotgun.
The little ******* used to tapdance on my testicles every time I first went near the Garbage.

The joy of coming back with a full set of Duty armour and a 60-rd mag...

Edgar Tüpet-Thomé MC has celebrated his 100th birthday in Les Invalides institute in Paris on 20 April 2020.

He fought WW2 first as an infantryman in 1939-40, then as a clandestine Résistance member, then as a Free French SAS. He did no less than 4 operational jumps during the war; one as a BCRA (Free French secret services) member and 3 with the SAS.

View attachment 468599
View attachment 468600

His life story...so far !

Edgar Tüpet-Thomé is now MBE MC

Bodenplatte

Old-Salt
As my post shows, there is nothing intelligent about me - so I could have been MI I suppose.

But no, I was a member of the finest Corps ever to grace Her Majesty's ORBAT.

No they weren’t. They were Bata. (Originally â Czech company). 500 fils a pair. (Ten bob). Indestructible.

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
No they weren’t. They were Bata. (Originally â Czech company). 500 fils a pair. (Ten bob). Indestructible.
You beat me to it.

I actually found a Bata store when I was on Mauritius a couple of years back. I dragged my mate who was with me (ex-RAF Hercules pilot) into the shop. Unfortunately, there were no dessies on the shelves.

Latest Threads