Search for an *Ally* star

I don't know, but he can't be ally, cause it looks as though he's wearing that abomination of combats from 1985 (?) with the single stiching and flared/pointy pockets. If you're going to wear ally kit in civvies, get a smock - Arctic or SAS
@QRK2 another one who doesn't get sarcasm. I also assume you never wore or saw the shiite combats!

Last edited:

W21A

LE
Book Reviewer
Perhaps they are the combats of his day, and the ones he feels most comfortable with? N.B. It does not change the fact that they were shite.

Perhaps they are the combats of his day, and the ones he feels most comfortable with? N.B. It does not change the fact that they were shite.
Totally agree, I thought my comments would resonate with those who had to wear them, rather than having a dig at the bloke at the cenotaph. Others who interpret otherwise - weren't there mannnn..... ..

And for all the times we rib the RAF on here, one word: nails.
I was once daft enough to agree to a ex Buccaneer pilot that he show me “low level” over the sea in a Hawk T1. 500kts, at a height that is lower than the undercarriage, (his words), scared the be-jees out of me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
I was once daft enough to agree to a ex Buccaneer pilot that he show me “low level” over the sea in a Hawk T1. 500kts, at a height that is lower than the undercarriage, (his words), scared the be-jees out of me.

The Bucc pilots were legends. More than once they landed with a few airframe modifications - bits of fencing and the like.

cut and pasted from Faceach but nice to see crabair can look as ally as any.

Flight Lieutenant David Morgan

Flight Lieutenant David Morgan, He was credited with sinking one enemy vessel as well as shooting down two helicopters and two A-4 Skyhawks While unloading on 8 June, the British ships were attacked by two waves of A-4 Skyhawks from the Argentine Air Force's 5th Air Brigade, each of them loaded with three 500 lb retarding tail bombs of Spanish design. The fighters departed from Rio Gallegos airbase, which at the time was monitored by the nuclear submarine HMS Splendid.

The first package, originally made of eight aircraft, was reduced to five when three Skyhawks returned to base due to refuelling problems. The nuclear submarine HMS Valiant, on picket duty off Rio Grande, was able to track six Dagger fighters taking off from the airbase there for a complementary mission and sent an early warning signal, but the report from the submarine failed to reach the British forces at Bluff Cove. Another four Mirages carried out a decoy mission over the north of the islands, while the Argentine destroyer ARA Santísima Trinidad broadcast interference to jam the frequencies used by the Royal Navy's air controllers directing the Sea Harrier operations. At approximately 14:00 local time the ships RFA Sir Tristram and RFA Sir Galahad were badly damaged by five A-4Bs of Grupo 5.

Three A-4s targeted Sir Galahad, which was hit by three bombs from First Lieutenant Carlos Cachón. The second Skyhawk was unable to drop its bombs, and the third overshot the British ship. The remaining two aircraft attacked Sir Tristram, which was struck by two bombs released by package leader Lieutenant Daniel Gálvez; the bombs of the last A-4 fell short. The explosions and subsequent fires killed 48 men aboard Sir Galahad and two crew members from Sir Tristram. At 16:50 a second wave, composed by four A-4Bs of Grupo 5 hit and sank a Landing Craft Utility from HMS Fearless, ferrying the vehicles of the 5th Brigade's headquarters from Darwin to Bluff Cove in Choiseul Sound with the loss of 4 Royal Marines and 2 Royal Navy.

However, the Sea Harrier combat air patrol was already on scene and responded; three Skyhawks were shot down and their pilots, First Lieutenant Danilo Bolzan, Lieutenant Juan Arrarás, and Ensign Alfredo Vazquez, were killed. Bolzan's aircraft was shot down by Lieutenant David Smith, while the remaining Skyhawks fell victims to Flight Lieutenant David Morgan. The fourth aircraft suffered combat damage and lost a large amount of fuel, but returned to the mainland, assisted by a KC-130 tanker. A third wave, by A-4Cs of Grupo 4, arrived minutes later and struck ground targets without visible success. In a separate incident, the frigate HMS Plymouth endured the sudden attack of the six Daggers from Rio Grande, which struck her with four 1,000-pound bombs. The warship sustained severe damage, and five crewmen were injured. Although all the bombs were duds, the attack caused the explosion of at least one depth charge on her flight deck

When they ran in at low level to attack the airfield at Stanley he described soldiers firing down at him with their rifles from a hill.
On his return to the Islands he noticed a telephone wire strung between two poles that was estimated at 20 feet.
He pointed out he didn't remember it when he flew in last time.
One of the guys who was in the tower pointed out him and his wingman flew under it.
Reports from both Argentinians and Islanders stated the Harriers crossed the open ground at about 5 feet above the ground going like the clappers
This interview with him is great and worth re-posting

Q_Man

Old-Salt
I hang my head in shame. **** knows what I'd been looking up, but dessie features more in my searches these days than desire, sad as that is.

The point stands. I am not airborne, and I know he is gen following other comments, but he will not be Ally unless wearing desert boots, preferably Clarks.

Thos lockdown working from home and cracking your first beer at 1430 is not good....

I hang my head in shame. **** knows what I'd been looking up, but dessie features more in my searches these days than desire, sad as that is.

The point stands. I am not airborne, and I know he is gen following other comments, but he will not be Ally unless wearing desert boots, preferably Clarks.

Thos lockdown working from home and cracking your first beer at 1430 is not good....
I went to Clark’s once, to get my feet measured when I was a toddle. Are you former Intelligence?

Last edited:

Q_Man

Old-Salt
I went to Clark’s once, to get my feet measured when I was a toddle. Are you former Intelligence?
As my post shows, there is nothing intelligent about me - so I could have been MI I suppose.

But no, I was a member of the finest Corps ever to grace Her Majesty's ORBAT.

But according to my Dad, former 1 PARA, Clarks desert boots were the footwear of choice in Aden.

Ned_Seagoon

War Hero
Before my first hot and dusty tour, the man at Q and M told me that I could reclaim upto £10– for a pair of desert wellies from either Clarks or Saxone. The ones for Saxone were c@@@, and fit only for discos. The ones from Clarks’ were £14.99, so I paid the difference myself.

Latest Threads