Search for an *Ally* star

The RLC were not invented until 20 years after that photo
I had a General's recommendation on my confidential report.

He said 'I was a forward thinking soldier', mind you that was properly referring to the fact I always had a full tank of fuel in the G Wagon, always ready to roll 5 minutes before he was and always had a brew on, as opposed to my forseeing the planing the manning levels of the army and amaligations of Regiments etc etc in the 90's.

TheAssassin

War Hero
I had a General's recommendation on my confidential report.

He said 'I was a forward thinking soldier', mind you that was properly referring to the fact I always had a full tank of fuel in the G Wagon, always ready to roll 5 minutes before he was and always had a brew on, as opposed to my forseeing the planing the manning levels of the army and amaligations of Regiments etc etc in the 90's.
Did you have a stockpile of bog roll a month ago?

Well done him. Both for the award and making it back home. My great grandpas were lucky to do so themselves.

'Great' Granddads? How old are you?

Both my Granddads ..now sadly deceased , were in WW1 One Paddy from Cork fighting for the British Army and one German Jew fighting for the Kaiser.

TamH70

MIA

Both my Granddads ..now sadly deceased , were in WW1 One Paddy from Cork fighting for the British Army and one German Jew fighting for the Kaiser.

My grandpas served in WW2, or at least I think so - I have three of them - my real grandpa died before I was born, his brother (as far as I am aware - my family's history is convoluted and most of them don't talk to each other let alone me) married my grandmother on my dad's side, and my maternal grandpa was also a soldier as far as I know.

And their dads were in the First Great Unpleasantness.

My grandpas served in WW2, or at least I think so - I have three of them - my real grandpa died before I was born, his brother (as far as I am aware - my family's history is convoluted and most of them don't talk to each other let alone me) married my grandmother on my dad's side, and my maternal grandpa was also a soldier as far as I know.

And their dads were in the First Great Unpleasantness.

I'm only 10 years older than you!

Jews and Paddies don't know when to tie a feckin knot in it!

Nah, just proves what a magnet for the desperate dat dere London Town is, plus my Paddy Granddad would have fought for or against any fecker , for the craic.
Ah......... like the Paddys and Micks at the Gresham Ballroom on the Holloway Road in the Seventies! :)

For clarity:

The 18 or the 19-seventies?
Although the Irish were already present in large numbers in the Upper Holloway / Archway area of London by the 1870's; the Gresham Ballroom was not there yet (not even in its former glory as the Highgate Empire Cinema - and sadly, there is now a Sainsbury's on the site). So it is the 1970's that I am referring to and the magnificent and boisterous punch-ups that used to occur there on a frequent basis.

Although the Irish were already present in large numbers in the Upper Holloway / Archway area of London by the 1870's; the Gresham Ballroom was not there yet (not even in its former glory as the Highgate Empire Cinema - and sadly, there is now a Sainsbury's on the site). So it is the 1970's that I am referring to and the magnificent and boisterous punch-ups that used to occur there on a frequent basis.
I am making special note that you have not denied being present at that place during the earlier period :thumleft:

Apologies for the thread drift, but while fact checking about the Gresham Ballroom (memories can be inaccurate) I discovered that the recently oddly named "Navigator Square" where the Archway gyratory road system used be is actually named after the Irish "navvies" that settled in the area and not after any naval connection.

To link back to the theme of the thread. Make your own minds up about the ally-ness (or lack of).
1584352646237.png

skeetstar

Old-Salt
I'd contend that Lewis guns and SMLEs can make almost any outfit look ally.

Anyone know what the AA gun is?

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
Apologies for the thread drift, but while fact checking about the Gresham Ballroom (memories can be inaccurate) I discovered that the recently oddly named "Navigator Square" where the Archway gyratory road system used be is actually named after the Irish "navvies" that settled in the area and not after any naval connection.
Navvy is a shorten form of navigator.

One of my great grandads died in 1896......his son died in 1953.......his son died in 1988......you can do the maths....... I am a great grandad myself, though the first fecker to tell me that will be fecking dead

Latest Threads