Search for an *Ally* star

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
They are not wearing ponchos, they have got on the Arctic issue reversible waterproof. Green one side, white on the other. 42 Cdo had just finished a Norway deployment and still had all the kit.
Yeah, but then I'd have only been left with the pile of greenies.

arcticfox042

War Hero
'Greenies' = the green paired tubes scattered around the mortar position. Each tube containing 1 x 81mm mortar bomb.

Though provided with a crap carrying handle, the 'greenie' has been cunningly designed so as defeat any attempt to carry more than one without some form of discomfort.
Ahh the rubber band seals made good trouser elastics...........

'Greenies' = the green paired tubes scattered around the mortar position. Each tube containing 1 x 81mm mortar bomb.

Though provided with a crap carrying handle, the 'greenie' has been cunningly designed so as defeat any attempt to carry more than one without some form of discomfort.
Made a very good container for odds and ends when strapped to my motorbike.

Before the days of issue waterproofs (Peter Storms anyone? And worn under smocks FFS) one lad wore one (a poncho) on a rainy tab along the Offas Dyke Path.

Cue many years of subtle whistling of the theme from The Good, The Bad and the Ugly, each and every time he entered any bar or even room.

Oh, and the enduring nickname: "The man with no..................

Friends"
I bumped into Survival Aids during their first incarnation in, I think 1985, at a defence expo thingy. They had just managed to get their goretex jackets and trousers made up and they had a tame rep from William Gore nearby who was demo'ing the effectiveness of goretex. I rapidly spent around 200 sov's of my own dosh - two weeks later in the mountains doing patrolling and shooting in the pissing rain, the drying room was full of stinking gear for the week and I had to lock up my goretex in an ammo/toolbox in the landrover to prevent it vanishing.

Last edited:

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
I bumped into Survival Aids during their first incarnation in, I think 1985, at a defence expo thingy. They had just managed to get their goretex jackets and trousers made up and they had a tame rep from William Gore nearby who was demo'ing the effectiveness of goretex. I rapidly spent around 200 sov's of my own dosh - two weeks later in the mountains doing patrolling and shooting in the pissing rain, the drying room was full of stinking gear for the week and I had to lock up my goretex in an ammo/toolbox in the landrover to prevent it vanishing.
I doubt anyone who isn’t of a certain age can understand how transformative the arrival of Gore-Tex was. Or, for that matter, decent-quality fleeces.

I read Cedric Delves’s book about the SAS in the Falklands recently and thought ‘Ugh!’ at the kit description. Then thought again and realised that that’s what we all had to cope with. And we did - cope.

My ex-wife once said she couldn’t understand why I will always spend as much as I can afford on outdoor gear. My answer was cotton thermals, scratchy shirts, the plastic ‘Jersey Heavy Wool’, 85 Pattern and crisp packet waterproofs. Needless to say, it got a blank stare.

Like the old saying goes, ‘There’s no such thing as bad weather, just bad gear.’ These days, I’ll make no excuse for being comfortable.

I doubt anyone who isn’t of a certain age can understand how transformative the arrival of Gore-Tex was. Or, for that matter, decent-quality fleeces.

I read Cedric Delves’s book about the SAS in the Falklands recently and thought ‘Ugh!’ at the kit description. Then thought again and realised that that’s what we all had to cope with. And we did - cope.

My ex-wife once said she couldn’t understand why I will always spend as much as I can afford on outdoor gear. My answer was cotton thermals, scratchy shirts, the plastic ‘Jersey Heavy Wool’, 85 Pattern and crisp packet waterproofs. Needless to say, it got a blank stare.

Like the old saying goes, ‘There’s no such thing as bad weather, just bad gear.’ These days, I’ll make no excuse for being comfortable.
Not to mention the Chinese fighting suit and cheese grater insoles.

bedended

War Hero

Morning @Cold_Collation,
My old man drummed,(DRummed not bummed) it into me that, "any fool can be uncomfortable".
I was forever having the piss ripped out of me for, "wasting my beer tokens" on Gucci gear but I was never as Baltic or soggy as them when it mattered:boogie::headbang:.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer

On a long weekend in the hills, my brother poo-pooed my choice of manmade fibres boots, stating how he loved his leather ones, Similar to my goretex to his tweed, The next morning when my kit had dried overnight and he was popping his still wet stuff back on, he had a wee reconsider.

QRK2

LE

I can still remember the first time I heard of Gore-tex, I was on a Welsh hillside at the time (1980) and a member of the team mentioned that he'd heard that someone had invented a waterproof that allowed sweat to escape - no one believed him.

I can still remember the first time I heard of Gore-tex, I was on a Welsh hillside at the time (1980) and a member of the team mentioned that he'd heard that someone had invented a waterproof that allowed sweat to escape - no one believed him.
No one believes him now,

My goretex, was the first credit card purchase I ever made. About 200 quid in 1984 or 5.
Fiendishly expensive at the time.
Worth every penny though.

Keeping in the spirit of the last few posts and not the thread title, a quick heads up.

Aldi are punting out merino wool zipped tops from tomorrow for the bargain price of 20 sovs, very good quality and a bargain.

Top tip-they come pre-packaged in cardboard boxes about the size of a large paperback-stack them 2 or 3 high and the speedy scanning doris will only register one...

Keeping in the spirit of the last few posts and not the thread title, a quick heads up.

Aldi are punting out merino wool zipped tops from tomorrow for the bargain price of 20 sovs, very good quality and a bargain.

Top tip-they come pre-packaged in cardboard boxes about the size of a large paperback-stack them 2 or 3 high and the speedy scanning doris will only register one...
They are shit for the price, buy cheap buy multiple times. I’ve bought them.
Shrink when following washing instructions, length of the top is horrifically under sized and arms are short. M
Now as being a retired rock ape I expect my arms to be longer, however the over all fit and finish is appealing.

you want merino wool, try sports pursuit.

Latest Threads