Search for an *Ally* star

............ I'm not so sure about the "in a poncho" look, a post or two later :-D
Where do you think Sergio Leone got the idea for Clint Eastwood's attire from?

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
@Condottiere, likely after your time, but there must have been loads of photos of Legionnaires wearing your trademark, (and very suspect,) tightly tailored "pantalons de combat" made from the Brit windproof trs.
Were they called "saucissons" or something similar ?

Delete "SAS" between "WW2" and "windproof"
They were issued far more widely.

There were so many about that a vokhuisvol were given to the valiant allies from across the Channel after the end of the war.
UK wise I remember a few of the old man's mates wearing them in Aden and them being on show in many SBS publically released pix in the 70's.

Belgie's must of had a few RL loads delivered to them too as they were worn by some of THEIR blokes for a few years rather than the 'jigsaw pattern' official issue.

DuBora's had a fair stack of boxes full for sale in the 80's, nowadays Silvermans sell's repro's for 60 quid and real ones for 1500 sov's.

Shouldn't that be Shape, Shine, Shadow, Silhouette, Spacing, Movement? Or has it been changed in the last decade or so? Genuine question as things do change over time.
I learned it as Shape, Shine, Shadow, Silhouette, Surface, Spacing, Sound and Movement - though that was decades ago when I still had hair. (Sound was included as that attracts the eyes to look at where the sound is coming from, and can often enable you to see the bugger wot dun it.)

I learned it as Shape, Shine, Shadow, Silhouette, Surface, Spacing, Sound and Movement - though that was decades ago when I still had hair. (Sound was included as that attracts the eyes to look at where the sound is coming from, and can often enable you to see the bugger wot dun it.)
Like I said I guess things change, I was taught the five S's and M. That was back in 1974

Shouldn't that be Shape, Shine, Shadow, Silhouette, Spacing, Movement? Or has it been changed in the last decade or so? Genuine question as things do change over time.
It must be 50 years since I was first taught the mantra at Cadets, and I've been civi since 2003, so what you see is not so much modernity, as the erosive effect of time on recollection . . . .

It must be 50 years since I was first taught the mantra at Cadets
Yep about the same time for me as well.

I've been civi since 2003
I left in 1986.

so what you see is not so much modernity, as the erosive effect of time on recollection . . . .
Oh hey you'll get no argument from me on that score mate. For me however, there are some things I've never forgotten. I still use the five S's and the M when I hunt game and it's served me well.

Continuing the theme :)
A French Army K9 in Mali

That is the coolest dog I've ever seen.... :)

Edited to add that he could only look cooler if he had a gun as well...

@Condottiere, likely after your time, but there must have been loads of photos of Legionnaires wearing your trademark, (and very suspect,) tightly tailored "pantalons de combat" made from the Brit windproof trs.
Were they called "saucissons" or something similar ?
In the eighties it was considered ally in the Legion to have tightly tailored combats, which was ok for cutting about the camp, but somewhat restrictive in the field - especiallyin the trouser department. No problem for the old sweats who had amassed more uniforms and had looser ones for the field; but newcomers were pressurised to get their regulation issued number combats tailored and then suffered the consequences.

Thankfully it appears that this fad has now passed.

That is the coolest dog I've ever seen.... :)

Edited to add that he could only look cooler if he had a gun as well...
Navy SEAL James Hatch and Spike his Malanois a multi-purpose canaine. There is a story behind this one, remember the septic, Bergdahl, who wandered off from his guard post into the arms of Terry? These two were on a rescue mission to retrieve him.

Picture from: Stars and Stripes

Story here ===> Navy SEAL, dog handler: How a failed mission to rescue Bowe Bergdahl caused irreparable loss

In the eighties it was considered ally in the Legion to have tightly tailored combats, which was ok for cutting about the camp, but somewhat restrictive in the field - especiallyin the trouser department. No problem for the old sweats who had amassed more uniforms and had looser ones for the field; but newcomers were pressurised to get their regulation issued number combats tailored and then suffered the consequences.

Thankfully it appears that this fad has now passed.
I admired the jackets that the lad's in the French Liaison Office had, nicely cut, well fitting. A couple of week's later they wanted a favour from me so they rolled up and gave me a new jacket as the schmier for the favour. I tried it on and it was like a haute couture olive green baggy sack - afterwards with much glee they told me they had theirs tailored.

Latest Threads