ugly

LE

ugly

LE
Last edited:

udipur

LE
Book Reviewer
What was he shot with, an annoyed Webley air pistol?
How many times have you finished a ding dong with more holes than you started?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Without wishing to Fred Rift this too far . . . there's a series of images in the (I think) Bavarian Photo Archive which survived the war. It is a step-by-step account of how an Iron Cross was manufactured: other than the initial stamping of the iron centre and the outer border (the medal is actually formed from 3 separate pieces)from a registered die, all the other stages involved tradesmen-hellishly labour intensive! This is probably one of the reasons why they command such a premium now, the market is prone to good quality copies and why German grave sites in Russia, Poland, Ukraine etc are scavenged for such artefacts.

I used a similar example in my dissertation (the Nazi-era Bahnschutzpolizei) to show how Nazi bureaucracy all but guaranteed their defeat: during the course of it's existence, this organisation went through something like 5 uniform changes, 7 cap changes, half a dozen rank structures and about 17 different pay grades-and all for a police force that investigated crime on the state railway system!

I'll shut up now.
They are still a bit OCD even now if you ask me