Search for an *Ally* star

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Last edited:

udipur

LE
Book Reviewer
What was he shot with, an annoyed Webley air pistol?
How many times have you finished a ding dong with more holes than you started?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Without wishing to Fred Rift this too far . . . there's a series of images in the (I think) Bavarian Photo Archive which survived the war. It is a step-by-step account of how an Iron Cross was manufactured: other than the initial stamping of the iron centre and the outer border (the medal is actually formed from 3 separate pieces)from a registered die, all the other stages involved tradesmen-hellishly labour intensive! This is probably one of the reasons why they command such a premium now, the market is prone to good quality copies and why German grave sites in Russia, Poland, Ukraine etc are scavenged for such artefacts.

I used a similar example in my dissertation (the Nazi-era Bahnschutzpolizei) to show how Nazi bureaucracy all but guaranteed their defeat: during the course of it's existence, this organisation went through something like 5 uniform changes, 7 cap changes, half a dozen rank structures and about 17 different pay grades-and all for a police force that investigated crime on the state railway system!

I'll shut up now.
They are still a bit OCD even now if you ask me

Faces of war.one from Tobruk rats.

Just re reading The Longest Siege TOBRUK

Robert Lyman

Just read about the breakout after the code word POP.

A special Machine gun group was formed within the 2nd Leicesters under Major Jack Bryant .

Comprised of 50 BRENS as well as captured Spandaus and Bredas.

must have been an amazing amount of firepower .

Just thinking 50 X 30 rd mags X 29 spare megs is 45000 rounds down range in , say 15 minutes .

would keep your head down.

Last edited:
Disappointed, was hoping for a MAT 49
Or a FSA (Fusil Semi-Automatique) i.e. MAS 49/56.

Bloody hell , I`m not that old :) , I only ever seen/used MAT 49s for training in water , ie swimming with kit , saved filling a good Famas with salt water.
Although I joined in 1981, I used both in 2 REP. The MAT 49 on my first Brigade airborne exercise in 1982 as I believe there was a problem with 5.56 blank rounds and FAMAS BFA's (BTB's in French) at the time. I really liked the ergonomics of the MAT 49. I was issued the MAS 49/56 as my personal weapon as "chef d'equipe feu" (section fire team leader) in Chad in 83-84, as the older and larger calibre rifle could hurl rifle grenades out to much further distances than the FAMAS. I loved it. The 7.5x54mm round was awesome. Even with my old rifle with the barrel pitted to fack with grenade propellant cartridges, I could still get a three to four cm grouping at 400m. When we hunted gazelle it was always the FRF1 armed "tireur d'elite" (sharpshooter) or me that did the biz, as it was a clean hit on the animal - which wasn't always achievable with the FAMAS 5.56 rounds.

I have (wet film) pics somewhere in boxes stashed away post-divorce, which I need to dig up and scan.

ugly

LE
Belgian Garde Civic?
According to the Osprey book on the Belgian Army in WW1 they are Carabiniers in 1914 or just before then- each Belgian division had a battalion of these troops. The rest of the Belgian Army at this time had a similarly archaic appearance, other units wore shakos, German-style caps or kepis. By 1916 they looked very different , wearing British khaki and French steel helmets.

I just found this page :

BEHIND THE IMAGE – Marching to the future | Military History Monthly

Last edited:

ugly

LE
Of course the civics would be armed with comblain Rifles not Mausers

According to the Osprey book on the Belgian Army in WW1 they are Carabiniers in 1914 or just before then- each Belgian division had a battalion of these troops. The rest of the Belgian Army at this time had a similarly archaic appearance, other units wore shakos, German-style caps or kepis. By 1916 they looked very different , wearing British khaki and French steel helmets.

I just found this page :

BEHIND THE IMAGE – Marching to the future | Military History Monthly
I just read the article. According to @Bacongrills they were already 9.5 on the scale. Do they get extra points for greatcoats in mid-August?

Latest Threads