Search for an *Ally* star

Australian lads having a brew and catching up on the news after being released from a Jap prisoner of war camp

F64BA826-8D93-439E-A4B6-67E3B23BB98B.jpeg

Australian lads having a brew and catching up on the news after being released from a Jap prisoner of war camp

View attachment 338181
The front page report is The Atomic Plague by Wilfred Burchett, who was the first journalist to arrive in Hiroshima after the bomb and contained the first ever public reports of the effects of nuclear fallout. Daily Express edition of 5th September 1945.

.....and still full of bromide and only one sausage at breakfast!
One of my first Saturday jobs was for a small grocer chain. The local shop manager was not even 60 though he had the complexion of an 80-year old. He was Skeletor thin and had no back teeth: but he was a gentle, soft-spoken chap with a crushingly dry sense of humour

His wife also worked there: after I got to know them, she told me that he had been sent out to Malaya, as a part of the reinforcements prior to the Japanese invasion. They became engaged on his last leave before embarkation.

She next saw him over 4 years later and walked past him, as the returning PoWs got of the train. When he called out her name, she still didn't recognise him.

After their marriage and whilst on their honeymoon at Gt Yarmouth, he finally felt confident enough to swim. She told the tale that, as they stretched out on the sand, she was able to pour a pint of water into the hollow formed by his stomach. Not a drop spilled.

Even to her, he never talked about his time in captivity. Ever.

Us nasty, callow Saturday boys used to call him 'Old Steptoe' behind his back. I wish I hadn't .