Search for an *Ally* star

ugly

LE
I don't think it is. In fact I'm sure its not.
He was a 2nd Lt in Crete, and a Captain in Egypt.
what rank did he start with?

I often wonder how you do dash, down, crawl, observe, sights, fire in shorts on sharp rocky ground.
I imagine that the assistance of the Afrika Korps makes it much easier.

I'm reminded of Philip Caputo's A Rumor of War, in which one of the other Lieutenants had shaved prior to their first action, making the point about being smartly turned out prior to any initial encounter. Caputo was more concerned about sweat getting into any nicks and scratches.
I’m not sure where I read it but the French at Dien Bien Phu did the same before jumping in because it was part of ‘elan’.
I think that was mentioned in A Rumour of War too.

Yes Cutaway I was thinking of the chap with the MP40. Dont often see photos of our people with enemy weapons..
Maybe it was felt that ours were better than theirs so no one bothered with them.
Maybe we did use them but the censor didn't let such pictures get out,
Maybe no one bothered due to ammo issues.....
Dunno,

but pipes we can do.. View attachment 332312
WW2 Ally... setting the standard for allyness.

Respect.

Yes Cutaway I was thinking of the chap with the MP40. Dont often see photos of our people with enemy weapons..
Maybe it was felt that ours were better than theirs so no one bothered with them.
Maybe we did use them but the censor didn't let such pictures get out,
Maybe no one bothered due to ammo issues.....
Dunno,

but pipes we can do.. View attachment 332312
It was only special forces ( SOE, SAS etc ) who made significant use of captured German weapons and it was mainly MP40s, I did read somewhere that the Raiding Support Regiment used MG34s or MG42s ( presumably in the sustained fire role ). I have seen photos and read accounts of British and American infantry using MP40s, seems to be mainly officers who could get away with habitually carrying them.

Italian rifles were issued to quite a lot of Commonwealth troops in the Middle East , such as South African Cape Corps soldiers ( who filled roles in infantry and other units such as drivers , stretcher bearers and officers servants ) and the locally recruited Libyan Arab Force ( used usually for internal security duties ) . At one stage in 1941 several British and Australian armoured regiments were equipped with Italian M13/40 tanks .

Last edited:

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Wearing shorts in the desert has to be nails. I often wonder how you do dash, down, crawl, observe, sights, fire in shorts on sharp rocky ground.
It's much the same in dessie DPM combats.

ugly

LE
As a ginger I’d be much more concerned about all that exposed skin.

They’d have to transfer me into armour.
Our Gwars were harder then!

The reason why they had so many contacts and compromises at the point of insertion was because MACV-SOG had a joint US - Vietnamese HQ and one of the Vietnamese employed there was keeping the NVA updated on dates, times, LZ's and DZ's, and even the composition of the patrols being inserted.
Conversely, the Vietnamese Kingbee helicopter pilots who normally carried the teams were the real deal, very brave men.
Likewise the Blue Light recovery and rescue teams, who were all SOG personnel, normally deployed into very hot LZ's to recover dead, wounded and missing comrades.
Chap I know here in Dallas is a former Ranger, did SF in Vietnam and needed to be rescued. His patrol was bumped, he was injured and on the first chopper out - it was shot down. In his injured condition he moved the aircrew from the wreckage, tended to their injuries and provided location security for 5 days until a rescue team came to get them.

For that the Air Force gave him a medal and the army gave him the silver star. He returned to duty, later attended the first Delta selection (which is an amazing dit in itself), passed, turned down the unit, did a combat jump into Grenada, retired as a CSM type from the military, became a cop and eventually retired as a white hatted Texas Ranger, only to be offered another police job. Full life and still going.