Search for an *Ally* star

I wonder how much value these troops actually provided. I've read a few books about them and the thread that runs through all of them, is that they were constantly being bumped and having to risk expensive assets to pull them out of the brown stuff.
The reason why they had so many contacts and compromises at the point of insertion was because MACV-SOG had a joint US - Vietnamese HQ and one of the Vietnamese employed there was keeping the NVA updated on dates, times, LZ's and DZ's, and even the composition of the patrols being inserted.
Conversely, the Vietnamese Kingbee helicopter pilots who normally carried the teams were the real deal, very brave men.
Likewise the Blue Light recovery and rescue teams, who were all SOG personnel, normally deployed into very hot LZ's to recover dead, wounded and missing comrades.

I wonder how much value these troops actually provided. I've read a few books about them and the thread that runs through all of them, is that they were constantly being bumped and having to risk expensive assets to pull them out of the brown stuff.

There's absolutely no doubt that they were brave myen, but did what they provide outweigh the costs? Costs in creaming off top troops from other units and costs in aircrew and aircraft supporting them just for starters.
A bit like RAF Bomber Command , their value lay in keeping over 40,000 NVA troops tied up in guarding the echelon and supply lines in Laos and Cambodia , as well as a kill ratio of 100/1 .
In one raid alone , they captured so much rice ( over 20,000 tons ) that they struggled to destroy it .
They also accomplished valuable prisoner snatches , wire taps , sensor placing , all sorts of black ops and generally keeping the NVA guessing and looking over their shoulder all the time
As for creaming top troops off , most were too idiosyncratic or undisciplined to serve in line units , anyway . A classic example was Jerry " Mad dog " Shriver .
Perhaps one of our American contributors will chip in with their view .
Anyway , they looked ally as f*ck .

Wasn't there some corporal who did five or something like that? Rhodies did two or three combat jumps in a day as normal ops, mainly as stop groups chasing the fuckers.
Shit, I know this. Wish we'd not fallen into a booze trap..
While it should be Des Archer, I'm pretty sure it was another ouen who had five fireforce lobs in a day.
I shall revert after rehydration.

I put up a pic on this thread about 5 years ago of ? I think des Archer as he also holds the greatest number of operational jumps as well, re I think?
Yebo, Des had something like 73 or 74 fireforce lobs but I'm still unsure if he had the five in a day.
Fcuked if I can recall the other troopie's name.

The meisie said I'd remember better if I tried rehydrating and "detoxing" with natural juice.
I'm now pretty sure she didn't mean natural Belgian hop juice.

Yebo, Des had something like 73 or 74 fireforce lobs but I'm still unsure if he had the five in a day.
Fcuked if I can recall the other troopie's name.

The meisie said I'd remember better if I tried rehydrating and "detoxing" with natural juice.
I'm now pretty sure she didn't mean natural Belgian hop juice.
Des Archer (an Englishman in 2Cdo, RLI ) holds the record of 73 operational jumps.

The five-in-one-day may actually refer to an unidentified member of the BSAP's Support Unit who ran something like 40km in one day to take part in five separate contacts.

The five-in-one-day may actually refer to an unidentified member of the BSAP's Support Unit who ran something like 40km in one day to take part in five separate contacts.
Shit spot then.

Mostly, British/Commonwealth soldiers are natural Ally (IMHO), but there is one here that is either more Ally or less Ally than his comrades, I cant decide which..
ally 1.jpg

ugly

LE
My vote is for the Bren Gunner for wearing a scarf with panache!

Going into battle armed with fresh fruit is a good start.

My vote is for the Bren Gunner for wearing a scarf with panache!
Are you sure?

I'd have thought a decent aftershave would have sufficed...

Yes Cutaway I was thinking of the chap with the MP40. Dont often see photos of our people with enemy weapons..
Maybe it was felt that ours were better than theirs so no one bothered with them.
Maybe we did use them but the censor didn't let such pictures get out,
Maybe no one bothered due to ammo issues.....
Dunno,

but pipes we can do..
pipe 2.jpg

Yes Cutaway I was thinking of the chap with the MP40. Dont often see photos of our people with enemy weapons..
Maybe it was felt that ours were better than theirs so no one bothered with them.
Maybe we did use them but the censor didn't let such pictures get out,
Maybe no one bothered due to ammo issues.....
Dunno,

but pipes we can do.. View attachment 332312
Oblivious to the health risk posed by smoking.