Search for a new laptop

Discussion in 'Hardware - PCs, Consoles, Gadgets' started by Boldnotold, Sep 24, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Boldnotold

Boldnotold LE Book Reviewer

Hoping some of the clever people on here will give me independent advice before I start speaking to sales people.

I have an HP p.c., around ten years old, which works well, but is very slow and runs Windows XP and IE6.

I'm a technobiff and the idea of upgrading an operating system or browser terrifies me. I used to be a proficient COBOL/IMS Programmer, but am more than bewildered by 'plug and play' and the ability of various elements of a p.c.s makeup to react badly with one another. The fear of change is the main reason why I've kept this machine for so long.

I use it for email, spreadsheets, creating and reviewing word documents, and a little light internet surfing and online shopping. I also store documents and photographs. Don't do games, chat rooms or anything that requires mega sound or vision. I would like to use Skype but was embarrassed when I asked the offspring to install it and he laughed at my lack of webcam and microphone (told you I was a biff and am still surprised that I haven't appeared in 'how bone is your missis' for that one).

I've decided to change machine, and would like a laptop so I can sit in the comfy chair to use it. So my question is - what does the panel recommend, for a lady of limited budget (£500-ish), limited requirements, and limited skills at transferring software and files from one place to another. Is an external Hard Drive a sensible option?

OK that's two questions. Please feel free to make observations. Thanks for any advice you can give.

2. The most you'd really need to spend is about £250 to £350 as your not after anything that is that demanding processor wise, on the option of transferring files from the old machine your sprog would be able to do that for you without the need for external hard drives by simply connect the laptop to your houses network and transferring the files from one machine to the other through it.

I am here:,-4.324105
  3. maguire

maguire LE Book Reviewer

4. Boldnotold

You're at the Inch Loss Clinic ???? :)

Sadly you're a tad far from me down here in Dorset, but your advice is very welcome, thank you.
  5. Boldnotold

6. Whilst this is true, I would recommend an external hard drive to store back-up copies of the documents and photographs you mentioned. It doesn't need to be big and expensive, and will prevent their loss should the hard drive on your machine go TU.
  7. Staples do good value for money with their laptops at reasonable prices.
    You could look at your local supermarket as both sainsburys & tescos now sell them.
    I stick mosty with Toshiba as they are made well, built to last & offer good value for money, you could also try Sony, but stay clear of Acer who do have problems with support.

Suggest you also buy Kaspersky Internet Security which will protect your new Laptop.
    Dont be sold on Norton or McAfee as most salespersons get commision for selling it!!
    And both are shite & hog system resources!

If you need anymore help just ask.
  8. I was in a similar situation a couple of months ago and spent a bit of time having a good look around. Also have similar IT "awareness" issues!!
    I have ended up with a Toshiba Satellite L670 17.5" screen Notebook. I am very impressed with the much improved connectivity and download speeds it offers. It also comes with built in webcam etc, so connecting to Skype will be no problem.
    In my opinion, it looks good and performs very well (I also don't do gaming) for my own personal preferences. All for £349 at Tesco.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Ive had two Toshiba ones and both had loads of problems from needing new fans, keyboards, harddrives, screens to exploding batteries.
  10. Well, you are on line quite a lot! :)
  11. Maybe so but the Hewlett Packard replacement has never given me any bother. The next one is likely to be Lenovo as they get good reviews and are supposedly sturdy.
  12. Boldnotold

That's what the offspring and others have said, Joe. Offspring bought one from Scan for about £80 so I'll probably do that anyway. A laptop is more likely to be dropped than the old desktop. :)
  13. I've just got a Lenovo G575, PC World £299.99 on offer. My I.T man said it is very good. It's impressed me. But I'm a total Biff
  14. My last Toshiba (thankfully a work one) was so cooked due to numerous power fluctuations and general wear and tear that it ended up on the range (had to get permission to do it as well)..200 rounds from a Minimi later I felt so much better (The Lenovo replacement seems to be going downhill as well). I now have the latest MacBook Pro as my personal one.......awesome bit of kit.
    • Like Like x 1