Seamans book?

Discussion in 'Jobs (Discussion)' started by Angry Hat, Oct 24, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm looking at getting a seamans book but have found a problem. On the application it has to be signed by your maritime employerand a whole other bunchof bollocks about what ship you're on etc. Do you guys have any idea how to get one without having had any maritime employment/experience?Was also wondering if maybe I could get it signed by my troop or CO etc?Any help will be awesome.cheers.

2. Hev you considered getting a panamanian seamans book as i believe they are a lot easier to obtain.

I got my seamans book a long time ago and it had to be for a british flagged vessel, not sure how it is nowadays as there arent too many of them left sadly.

3. Subsunk

Subsunk War Hero Book Reviewer

Get in contact with the Maritime and Coast Guard Agency - I think it is their Swansea or Cardiff offices that deal with Discharge Book applications, and they will send it out to you.

4. No, none at all. It's frustrating me as I'm moving to Dubai soon and was looking at MARSEC as I have some connections there. As far as I'm aware you have to be employed first before you can obtain one. Stupid system I think?

5. I think there is a work around for this, it is best to go to the office in person to resolve. I managed to get onboard without one and then get it signed later.

I seem to recall that you might be issued with a "seamans card" which should cover you to board and then get the seamans book form signed and stamped during your first voyage. Don't quote me on this though.

On an unrelated topic, I hope you are not planning on embarking on "career" in marsec. If this is the case please reconsider.

6. I was going to ask why you wanted one, but this has now been explained; whatever you do, do not take a Filippino, Liberian or Panamanian one - they're not worth the paper that they're written on. P.S. I would think very carefully about MARSEC as a career option - your best bet is a GBR-flagged vessel and you with a GBR Seaman's Book. At least that way you can be confident that the RoE will be lawful and that both your employer and the DfT will back you up.

7. Cool i'll have a look. Whats the problem with marsec then? I don't know much about it as of yet and am still looking into it but you guys seem precautious about it. please explain?

8. Basically, despite what training companies tell you (as they need to train people to generate income) there is not nearly enough transits available for the guys who have been in marsec for years. Let alone the hundreds of new guys who have no experience who throw their hat in the ring every fortnight and end up sat at home with a load of meaningless quals and no work. There is simply no work available for guys coming into marsec bar a few exceptional cases (usually well connected ex RM / SB). That is the first problem.

The second problem, is that if you were ever to manage to get a transit, then there is no guarantee of continued work at the end of it. You may get six weeks work, at the end of which you find yourself back to square one. Of course, nobody is paying you to sit at home, so the money you made on that six weeks, may have to last you three or four months until you pick something else up.

The third problem is that the money is not what it used to be. Lads used to be picking up 250 quid a day. Now it can be as low as 120. Not very much when you consider that you are away from home, in often poor conditions in shared accommodation. Often there are no comms for long periods and the food could be pretty gopping. When you think that you're effectively available for duty 24hrs a day, and working for eight or twelve of those hours, with no job security and often crap conditions, the money on offer nowadays is not attractive at all. Couple that with the fact that you will lurch from one period of unemployment to another, it is even less so.

Finally ,the job itself is, in my own opinion, one of the most mind numbingly boring things I have ever done.

I have been on the circuit a while now, and now work on dry land after my six months adventure into maritime security. I have been very lucky, and now do an interesting job for good money with a good firm. There are also some guys (usually working for Drum Cussac or Mast) who enjoy marsec, have good job security and are well paid, however these guys are undoubtedly well established in the industry and have been around since the beginning. Behind them waits a long long list of other experienced blokes looking for work, behind whom is an even longer list of newbies hoping to find that golden egg.

The best advice I recently read to a new guy looking at training courses to get into Marsec was "you'd be better off buying some magic beans and planting them".

9. My understanding is that it's a 'discharge book', used to record your time onboard. Your prospective employer usually applies for it from the Flag State under which your vessel sails. They are generally considered a controlled document, hence not normally available unless you've got a berth, and may be tied to work-permit/visa requirements.

10. Cheers guys and Martin thanks for explaining. Everything you say has made sense. I've heard it's mainly crontract work and am surprised I didn't see this myself. Some serious reconsidering to be done now.By the way, do you know anyone selling magic beans?