Seal Skinz Socks

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by Gremlin0790, Dec 12, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. A couple weekends ago I decided to give the seal skinz socks a bash as I usually end up with wet lowas after CTR's and being engulfed by boggy ground. I wore them with some liners, nothing fancy just I pair I picked up from the local camping shop. They were fantastic at keeping my feet dry both from water and sweat, especially after half my leg disappearing in mud moving to a position. However I can't remember my feet ever being so cold. It was bloody cold outside, hovering around -9 C when we were sitting about doing 7 Q's and orders for about an hour. Now common sense says because we weren't moving about and it being so cold my feet went numb, but has anyone had a similar experience?

I have a pair of seal skinz gloves, which keep my hands dry but have the warmth properties of a wet tissue when wet, is this the case with the socks as well?

2. Sealskinz do keep you dry quite well, but for keeping your hands and feet warm they're shit. You could try the MVP boot liners with some warm socks, which are better in cold conditions. Otherwise just use a bit of rubber off some surplus NBC gloves to go over the top of your boots to keep most of the water out and stick to nice warm wooly socks.

3. I use a lot of sealskins gear, and I have found exactly the same. I tend to wear a pair of thin cotton socks underneath, but that's to row in and not on exercise. If you can wear another pair underneath and still fit it in your boot then that should solve your problem.

Their gloves are not all fully waterproof (depending on type) as some have tiny holes between the fingers. I haven't yet solved the problem of keeping my hands dry and being able to perform even slightly complex manual tasks. The closest I have come is to use some gloves made by a company called extremities. These still got wet through in rough weather though.

4. So what you're saying is that if you sit around for an hour or so wearing wet gloves and socks in ambient temperatures of about -9 C, then you get cold hands and feet :?

That's amazing mate :roll:

5. I've no idea if this may help, but when I was slated to go on my first scheme to Norway, I was a bit wary of the sage advice of the ever-caring British Army to: "wear two pairs of woolen socks".

An old hand at the game directed me to a Boxheed company called "Expeditio", which apparently produced Blackpool rocks for cold climates. I bought a couple of pairs at the local store and I was surprised at how thick and heavy they were. The outside looked like a normal woolen sock, while the inside was a sort of very soft Terry towelling affair, with what appeared to be a layer between the two.

You have to remember that we were wearing these with the old DMS boots too. Anyway, these Blackpools were the absolute dogs'! I had toasty daisies for the whole six-week scheme, in spite of temperatures that dropped as low as "freeze-the-snot-in-yer-nostrils". We were instructed that once it feels like your schnozz is pinching together a bit on breathing in, the temp's at least -10 C, and it was way beyond that.

I don't know if the company still exists, or whether a comparable product might be available, but for those needing it, maybe it could be advantageous to engage in a bit of research.

MsG

6. Unless Anthony was the name of the unfortunate that you skinned and now wear as some sort of scuba-like undergarmentry, I am confused.

However, I digress.

I bought Sealskinz socks and gloves using some Chrimble vouchers some time ago and promptly forgot all about them.
    I rediscovered them whilst rummaging around in the 'great big box of sh1t' that contains all my 'seemed like a good idea at the time' kit.

Aha! Otterburn in November + Sealskinz = dry and so toasty extremities.

Dry yes, toasty no.

I, like the others above, found that they act like some sort of radiator, drawing heat away and leaving me wishing I'd never bought them.

I'm not sure the socks will stand up to being worn for ops or even a long ex without wearing thin and leaking. Sizing seems a bit strange as well.

7. Otterburn in November, you say :?

Spooky. There seems to be some sort of association between low ambient temperatures and loss of body heat, if only I could put my finger on it... :?

8. Hold on - so, you have waterproof stuff on your plates so the sweat stays in, and your feet get cold when you rest up?

HOW CAN THIS BE???

9. I have heard the opposite can often occur in summer, or in hot climates.

The hands and feet become hot, and sweat pores begin to secrete fluid. As if they are being controlled by some kind of inbuilt physiological process :?

10. So, let me get this right - in hot weather, you get hot, and in cold weather, err - help me out here. Bit deep for me, all these new concepts at once.

11. I have heard of a mythical fabric which, it is said, can only be obtained from the fleece of a creature known as the sheep.

It is woven by skilled practitioners into a kind of yarn, often in the dead of night, which is almost thread-like in appearance.

Garments are produced from this magical yarn, which are said to insulate the foot, and the hand, thus banishing cold.

12. Just crazy talk. I'm not falling for that.

13. im loving this thread !im loving this thread !

very informative all i need to do is skin a seal and a guy called anthony and im laughing

14. Maybe someone can help me out with my dilemma:

In hot weather when I'm on the ranges or training area all day and I don't drink anything; I seem to become dehydrated and develop thirst.

Is there anything that I can do to prevent this?

My colleagues seem to take regular swigs of some type of clear liquid substance from black plastic gourd-like containers. Several of them have a type of harness, hanging from shoulder-straps, supporting a bag of fluid on their back, from which they imbibe liquids through a form of drinking pipe.

What sort of witchcraft are they involved in to delay the debilitating illnesses of thirst and dehydration???!!! I demand to know!!!

15. Hey that reminds me... when I cut down on bergen weight by taking no food with me, after a day or two ( OK 2 1/2 hours ) I find I become hungry.

Does anybody have any suggestions? Its really bugging me.