Sea sickness remedies?

Am off for a spot of Black Bream fishing next week and lovede every minute of it last time except the impressive bit of projectile vom that I produced after about 3 hours of gentle swell!

In an attempt to be able to spend a bit more time fishing, instead of hanging over the side hoping for a Great White to come along and put me out of my misery - I'm open to (sensible :D ) ideas that will help me to get through the 6 hours session with my insides intact..

I tried looking at the horizon last time, but as we were only about 1/2 mile out it meant looking at the Purbeck cliffs - and I'm not sure it helped that they stayed still while we bobbed around...

I'm sticking with it anyway - I just would rather be a normal colour while I'm fishing!! :)

Ginger - works really well. Try ginger biscuits, ginger cake or one of the ginger herbal teas before and during the trip

Masturbate may not work, but will take your mind off it

Do not sit down in the boat when you are going out. I always stand at the rear and use my legs to compensate for the roll and pitch of the boat.

When you fish keep you eyes on the line and use your legs as above. If you remain still you've had it.

I used to go out on the Compass Rose from Brighton Marina and this was a 12 mile hike to the wrecks.

Nowadays I go out from Ryde Marina to fish for mackerel between the forts.

Pararegtom

LE
Book Reviewer
Errr dont go to Sea, problem solved. My first big sea journey was down South on a Car ferry, Wendy offered to soothe anyone with sea sickness,s brow, is that where the ginger comes in ? I was chuffed I never got sick .

JoseyWales said:
Do not sit down in the boat when you are going out. I always stand at the rear and use my legs to compensate for the roll and pitch of the boat.

When you fish keep you eyes on the line and use your legs as above. If you remain still you've had it.
Like he said.

Ride the motion of the boat and if possible stay outside for at least the first 30-60 mins till you get your sealegs.
Not sure if these bands with the button work, apparantly works on a pressure point on the wrist

vandyke said:
Not sure if these bands with the button work, apparantly works on a pressure point on the wrist
Yup - they work! Bought some for a friend who gets seasick drinking a glass of water and they helped big time!

Try two different types of travel tablets. Kwells and Stugeron(sp?), one works on your brain and stops the dizzyness and the other works on your stomach. Check with the pharmacist you can take both of these together (I do and it works but not sure if you are supposed to).

Eat a pound of oranges before setting off. Won't cure your sea sickness but it'll taste a lot better when it comes up.

More seriously,

a) Don't fight it. Throw up as soon as you can. Delaying the inevitable only prolongs your suffering.
b) Try to keep your mind occupied if you can. Difficult on a fishing trip though.
c) Remember, it can always be worse. I once barfed inside a foul weather suit (zips right up leaving only a slit for the eyes). I had puke round the back of my neck and running out of the cuffs.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
As said before ginger really is good, take a nice chunk, chew it up and suck the juices out of it when you are feeling rough.

First and most important don't go to sea with a hangover.

Take pills, don't try to be barve manly or whatever, take the pills

Some people find the wristbands work well so worth having a go with

Most people find the fresh air helps till you get really bad when going below and lying down is the only option.

My mother used to swear by eating Jacobs Cream Crackers and would sit huddles in the corner of the cockpit munching her way through the packet.

If you are sick eat straight away, cream crackers are ideal. Every time you are sick you need something to be in your stomach to be sick with, it helps I can from bitter experience confirm

Good luck and have fun.

Ancient_Mariner said:
c) Remember, it can always be worse. I once barfed inside a foul weather suit (zips right up leaving only a slit for the eyes). I had puke round the back of my neck and running out of the cuffs.
at least that would have been funny for every other bugger.

stay on deck, take stugeron, drink water, and try the ginger.

I spent some years at sea after leaving the mob and was generally sick for a few hours after leaving port for the first few trips. As I was being paid to do a job lying in my bunk was not an option. You can force yourself to endure it but if you are going to vomit, do so as soon as possible, it does help.
There are motion sickness tablets which were not available in my day which some people swear by. Talk to the local boaties.
Staying off the booze for a couple of days before sailing is also a definite help.
If it is of any comfort, you do become used to the motion and mal-de-mere ceases to become a problem. Stick with it as messing about in boats is too much fun to give up without a fight. Good luck.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Grey_Mafia65 Royal Navy 71
M Current Affairs, News and Analysis 4
bullshit Finance, Property, Law 0