Sea Shadow - The cloak of invisibility that never was

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by viceroy, May 16, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. One of many US government funded and failed attempts built by Lockheed Martin in the early 80s, you can now buy what is left of the 'Sea Shadow'.

The current bid is at $ 3.2Mio, great photographer they have. Didn't this thing feature in a James Bond movie? You get the whole marina thrown in for free, bargain!

http://gsaauctions.gov/gsaauctions/aucitdsc/

31QSCI12129001.JPG

31QSCI12129001B.JPG

2. Oh sorry, MODs feel free to delete. Just popped up in the local newspaper!

3. Nope, sea shadow's tiny - though the ship in the movie clearly seems to have taken inspiration from it.

4. Goldeneye had that 'stealth' French frigate.

• Like Like x 1
  5. maguire

maguire LE Book Reviewer

According to Ben Rich's book about his time working (and eventually in charge of) Lockheed's Skunk Works, the Sea Shadow was near-enough invisible on radar (using the same design concepts and materials as the F-117) - however, the US Navy senior ranks who held the purse strings wouldnt countenance the idea of a couple of dozen of these things needing only a handful of crew - they preferred to stick with the idea of a 'traditional' air defence cruiser with huindreds of sailors and officers aboard.

the idea was to have a picket line of these things carrying a few dozen SAM's a few hundred miles ahead of the carrier group - when the Sovs came over the horizon, these would escape radar detection then clobber the attackers as they passed overhead - while they still thought they were well out of range of US missiles.

6. Bouillabaisse

Bouillabaisse LE Book Reviewer

That fantastic movie, where a Royal Navy ship managed to get within 12 miles of land and not realise it. As opposed to the real navy, where GPS is just about acceptable if the nearest point of land is more than 500 miles away. And only then if you've at least tried to take a radar fix.

7. chrisg46

chrisg46 LE Book Reviewer

8. Funny thing is in parallel and similarity to the 1997 007 film, there is the 1991 spy thriller 'By Stealth' by the late Colin Forbes with the series of Tweed, Deputy Director of the SIS and his team combatting a Chinese military intelligence ghost network destabilisng a strategy think tank in UK and Europe by kidanpping and mutilating the spouses of the members not only that commercial shipping are being attacked in commerical sea lanes by stealth vessels. Then it transpires a group of Boeing engineers experts in stealth plus their families mysterious disappearing. Anyhow two stealth ships built by the PRC, are on the way to the Baltic with a bunch of former KGB, WarPac intel and special ops made redudant by the end of the Cold War and their purpose is to join in the network and commit acts of espionage and sabotage in effect opening the door for China. There is mention of the Sea Shadow in the book somewhere.

9. Bouillabaisse

Bouillabaisse LE Book Reviewer

My point being that Royal Navy Officers of the Watch are in the regular habit of looking out of the window. They would notice a large landmass, even at night. And then they would try to fix off it, not to mention call various people, notably the captain and navigator, to report that they weren't where they thought they were.

10. maguire

maguire LE Book Reviewer

slightly off topic, but the other funny thing is, I had the misfortune to try and read that once. and to borrow a line from Stephen King, I don't believe colin forbes knows the difference between a balanced line of prose and a shit and anchovy pizza. it makes Tom Clancy's 'co-authored' output look like masterpieces on a par with Tolstoy.

11. Much like the English who not only arrested a monkey, but tried and hung the wretched creature.

12. maguire

maguire LE Book Reviewer

That was in hartlepool, I believe. and they certainly dont speak english there, so I have my doubts about their nationality. ;)