Sea Lord signs naval pact with Brazil

Ministry of Defence said:
The First Sea Lord, Admiral Sir Mark Stanhope, has signed a historic document to forge closer cooperation between the Royal Navy and the Brazilian Navy.

More...

Page not found (Error 404)

Unfortunately the page you have requested cannot be found or does not exist on either the Ministry of Defence or The National Archives (TNA) websites

Biped

LE
Book Reviewer
Sooo, Brazil won't be siding with the Argies if and when they have a pop then . . .

Any chance of us selling them Ark Royal c/w Harriers and a small FAA training team for ten years?

In 1823, Admiral Thomas Cochrane, 10th Earl of Dundonald, led the Brazilian Navy to secure the country's independence from Portugal. He was also the first to command the Chilean Navy which has preserved tradition by naming one of its recently acquired Type 23 frigates Almirante Cochrane (ex-HMS Norfolk) in his honour.

Cdre the Hon Michael Cochrane OBE RN, younger son of the fourth Baron, has continued the family tradition of serving in the Royal Navy.

Guns

ADC
Book Reviewer
I think you will find that it was DMC (Defence Media) not the RN that posted it. But hay........

I think you will find that it was DMC (Defence Media) not the RN that posted it. But hay........
They need a kick up the derriere then.

He's about three years too late...the French and the septics are all over the brazilians future requirements like a tramp on chips. The single biggest brazilian future requirement is of course their nuclear sub - which will speak Portuguese with a distinct French accent!

Edited to add, somewhat disrespectfully: with all the Admirals the RN insists on keeping on the payroll, they could surely have chosen a full sized one to be 1SL? Couldn't they?

Didn't he eat his greens or did they spring him from a circus?

"The single biggest brazilian future requirement is of course their nuclear sub - which will speak Portuguese with a distinct French accent!"

Something which has been on their 'national priority' list for over 30 years and they are still no closer to putting it into production.

As for the Carrier, well she's old and rarely (if ever) actually goes to sea, so its a nice paper capability but little more than that (sounds like the RN for the next 10 years then). I have a huge suspicion that there could be a very large sales package of 4 T22s (they already own the batch 1s, which are now long in the tooth), Royal (plus Vince for spares?) and a wodge of harriers heading their way soon...

You might be on to something there B L ^_~
I'm just a retired pongo, but thought you could park it off Copacabana and it would be in position, so to speak, for some VSTOL action. What's not to like? :)

@jim30 - If you visit Ipero, you may find that slow but steady progress is being made towards the Brazilian's SSN requirement. Whether they actually put their planned reactor, a French reactor or indeed build an SSN is a moot point. There are those who see the chimera of an SSN as being a bargaining chip versus the Americans for example.

However to say they have made no progress in 30 years is perhaps disingenuous. For example in the last two years they have made significant technical and most importantly personnel advances in the domain and moreover they now appear to have a budget!

Cuddles - I agree that this is something they want (IIRC wasn't the idea to put a reactor in one of their Tupi hulls?). The reason I sound cynical is that I've got books on SSNs dating back to the 80s talking about this project and thats all that ever seems to have happened.
I'm sure they'll get there eventually, but to get to a point where they have a credible SSN capability is, IMHO decades away.

The reason I am not "cynical" is I have met several of the project's movers and shakers! however I don't think you are cynical, merely not current in your briefings!

Latest Threads