Sea Hornet Restoration

It seemed to just fade into nothing, the wing was the issue though, specifically the wing spar, if I recall rightly, a tapered laminated aluminium spar which without proper specs he couldn't replicate. @Wooden Wonder might be able to elucidate.
Dave had been trying to acquire this Sea Hornet wing for several years, but had been unable to come to an agreement with the owner and raise the necessary funds. As you say, making a wing from scratch was also a step too far.

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Dave had been trying to acquire this Sea Hornet wing for several years, but had been unable to come to an agreement with the owner and raise the necessary funds. As you say, making a wing from scratch was also a step too far.
Chimes with my recollection, the manufacture of the ribs would not have posed too much problem, if a bit pricey. He need the Edmonton wing to copy and the spar specifically to examine.

Chimes with my recollection, the manufacture of the ribs would not have posed too much problem, if a bit pricey. He need the Edmonton wing to copy and the spar specifically to examine.
Wonder if the new owners will be more helpful and give him access? Might be a helpful development...

I was a keen follower of David's Hornet Project, which I regularly updated on here until it's sad lapse. Send him my regards and tell him I am buzzing with glee at the news of this project.
The Hornet Project has been on hold for a couple of years whilst Dave has been rebuilding/restoring/extending his house (probably not with left-over bits of ply and Hornet glue I assume). He’s resuming Hornet-related work in early ‘18.

It's the bomber leader variant.
Also known as the 'Droop Snoot' of which there were 2 variants:

A visual bomb aiming position complete with Norden bombsight...

...and a radar equipped 'BTO' (Bombing Through Overcast) Pathfinder variant.

I think @CaptainRidiculous' picture is of a post war mod for commercial photography or survey.

There was also a P-38M nightfighter intruder variant with a radar operator crammed in behind the pilot!

Regards,
MM

Last edited:

TheIronDuke

ADC
Book Reviewer
As someone who restores pre-1920 agricultural engines (a hammer and a 1/2" spanner for the most part) I shall watch this thread with interest and a small degree of admiration. Good luck with the project.

The Hornet Project has been on hold for a couple of years whilst Dave has been rebuilding/restoring/extending his house (probably not with left-over bits of ply and Hornet glue I assume). He’s resuming Hornet-related work in early ‘18.
Keep us posted mate. A dream would be to see the hornet and Mossie flying together.
...gets all nostalgic and sniffly...