Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sea Fury T20 Crash at Duxford

We have a local group who want to get a Typhoon airborne again with a sabre engine......can't see that flying for long before the inevitable ...
I can't see it flying full stop!

Hmm, no, rather simplistic. If you lost an engine on take-off, the Mosquito couldn’t climb out until the undercarriage was raised - too much drag from the big oleos and fat tyres. If you could get the undercart up before clearing the trees (say) then it would climb.

In normal flight, no problem.

Landing on one engine, you declared finals at 800’ and lowered the undercarriage - you were committed to landing - go-around was nigh-on impossible unless you could get the undercart back up before 300’.

Mosquito pilots practised these procedures as part of training.

This is not say that accidents (and bad judgement) didn’t happen.

The Hornet could climb out without difficulty on one engine.

How do I know this? Just spoken to the Old Man.
Dad, in his civilian flying career as a company pilot for Davey Ashmores in the late 60s, worked with a former Mosquito pilot who flew their Beech Queen Air with a higher than normal approach and dropped the wheels later than normal, all attributed to his Mosquito days, or so he claimed.
Company did not like it as it worried the execs in the back and he wasn't there long as he could not break that habit.

Wasn't Donald Pleasance a navigator in bomber command? bailed out and tortured by the gestapo trying to get technical secrets? His bum eye and scar are attributed to the interrogations.
(James Garner was a Korean War veteran and WIA)
He never mentioned being tortured to me or my brother ( brother was in a band with youngest daughter Polly). He did mention he thought he was going to be shot by an SS man who on frisking him found a pocket full of condoms. ( WO’s used them to stop breath freezing up the carbon microphones in the masks),!

He never mentioned being tortured to me or my brother ( brother was in a band with youngest daughter Polly). He did mention he thought he was going to be shot by an SS man who on frisking him found a pocket full of condoms. ( WO’s used them to stop breath freezing up the carbon microphones in the masks),!

I’m always prompted to raise a smile when recalling the Director of The Great Escape complaining about Donald Pleasance’s suggestions about the set and the plot:
‘What in Hell does he know?’

One of the other actors (Attenborough? Garner?) took John Sturges to one side and had the ‘You do know that...?’ conversation, because Pleasance was too polite/modest to mention he actually knew quite a lot about it...

FWI, most of the Corsairs we received were built by Brewster, so badly, the USN refused to use them after things like wings started coming off, less than ideal. Tales of deliberate sabotage, tools and crap left in the planes. It was so bad, finished planes at the Brewsterplant were put on a shaking rig to shake stuff out.

One third.

The FAA had Corsairs built by Brewster, but they had twice as many built by GoodYear.

It's the hamster in his wheel cage which is directly connected to the turbine. I thought everyone knew that.
That's fair enough, but I was hoping that the Duty SME on everything might shed some light on yet another of his pronouncements.

Wooden Wonder

War Hero
It's the hamster in his wheel cage which is directly connected to the turbine. I thought everyone knew that.
The Old Man reckoned the Vampire was powered by a shrew. All the throttle did was vary the noise from a whisper to a whine. He reckoned that if he took off in a Hornet he could be at 5,000’ before the Vampire had got off the end of the runway. His only comfort was that it had a bang seat and he only had to sit in it for 45 minutes, not three hours like he did in the Hornet.

goodoldboy

MIA
Book Reviewer
I fear for the future of airshows now. If there is one?
The Shuttleworth Collection in Bedfordshire has had two drive-in air shows recently and they will have one every month until November.

As far as I know you 'hire' a marked-out 5 metre square for your car and occupants on the grass beside the runway. Probably more information on their website.

Pprune has got feck all on Arrse when it comes to air crash investigation.
I've said this before- they were chasing their tails and going in circles for a year yet the arrse Aircrash investigation team had the cause of the heli crash into a Glasgae pub roof nailed within 3 days and... the subsequent enquiry proved us correct.

I think maybe the admins should get some fancy black jackets with bright yellow decal on the back knocked up for us.

I'm not certain about this design

1597232210872.png

Save him the bother...

Yeah OK, but - the SME's original quote "... air travel only became a safe and practical option with the advent of the jet engine" as I understood it refers to 'air travel' as in commercial air travel with conventional gas turbine engines.

To be pedantic, weren't there a whole raft of shutters on the V1 engine? I.E. more than one.
Anyway let's wait and see what, if anything, transpires.

The Old Man reckoned the Vampire was powered by a shrew. All the throttle did was vary the noise from a whisper to a whine. He reckoned that if he took off in a Hornet he could be at 5,000’ before the Vampire had got off the end of the runway. His only comfort was that it had a bang seat and he only had to sit in it for 45 minutes, not three hours like he did in the Hornet.
I think I've posted this before but..... I spent a lovely afternoon in the company of a gent who had flown Spits and Mossies both during and post war.....

He recalled how they used to fly around in their late Mk Spits looking for pilots in the new fangled jets who thought they were the dogs danglies.... they would wait until or somehow engineer a situation that the jet was in a vertical climb and proceed to the overtake said jet hanging on their prop and give jet jockey the finger as they overtook them.... ... he ended his career on Jets.....Javalin I think .

Lovely bloke.... now joined the ultimate squadron in the sky .

His daughter may have mentioned that point her dad, then.
I stand corrected once more.

I heard some interesting behind the scenes stories when I visited film sets.
The one about Linda Lovelace copying Raquel Welch's full brazilian and deep throat technique when RW was a 'working girl' are among the list of those difficult to prove or disprove

Jack Palance, aka, Volodymyr Palahniuk , publicist spread a story about JP's less than classic looks being caused by bailing out of a burning B-24 Liberator, although in truth it was his former boxing career, some of it bare knuckle, that was the cause.

FWI, most of the Corsairs we received were built by Brewster, so badly, the USN refused to use them after things like wings started coming off, less than ideal. Tales of deliberate sabotage, tools and crap left in the planes. It was so bad, finished planes at the Brewsterplant were put on a shaking rig to shake stuff out.
The old building still exists in a very built up area of Long Island City (ironically as Jet Blue HQ). finished aircraft had to be disassembled, trucked to New Jersey through the Midtown tunnel across manhattan to the Holland tunnel onto Teterboro for assembly and flight testing of the Buffalos. they also had a factory in PA.

chrismcd

Old-Salt
I remember there was a comment that Brewsters were full of Nazi sympathisers - but cannot recall the reference.

Latest Threads