Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sea Fury T20 Crash at Duxford

It is that classic debate about the risk of flying vs arguably less exciting ground preservation. I find, for example, a Lanc on its undercarriage v interesting close up. I wouldn't want to see any Lanc - as they are scarce - lost while flying. There are more Fury airframes iirc but they are a reducing resource.
I'm pretty sure that the day when the likes of the Lancaster stop flying won't be far away.

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
‘.....A witness described how there was "a smoke trail evident and the engine sounded bad"

was it a Corsa?
What’s an effing Vauxhall doing up there:???: Lets get this straight this Sea Fury aircraft was flying North and swerved West to miss the Vauxhall hitting the tree, causing damage as shown.
Interesting.

Pprune has got feck all on Arrse when it comes to air crash investigation.
I've said this before- they were chasing their tails and going in circles for a year yet the arrse Aircrash investigation team had the cause of the heli crash into a Glasgae pub roof nailed within 3 days and... the subsequent enquiry proved us correct.

I think maybe the admins should get some fancy black jackets with bright yellow decal on the back knocked up for us.

It is that classic debate about the risk of flying vs arguably less exciting ground preservation. I find, for example, a Lanc on its undercarriage v interesting close up. I wouldn't want to see any Lanc - as they are scarce - lost while flying. There are more Fury airframes iirc but they are a reducing resource.

They aren't your docile Cessna- they were built to live fast and die young.

The misty eyed fans forget, these things when they were new killed pilots at a furious rate. iirc, 50% of piston fighter pilots died in crashes, not at the hands of an enemy.

Mustang? Isn't it a thoroughbred!
Yes, in its element, a pure joy, but kicked like a stallion on take off and killed many an unwary pilot with its very marginal CG fully loaded.

Mosquito? Isn't it a thoroughbred!
Yes, fast as hell, but was a right vicious bastard on take off and killed many crews with its ferocious torque, and lose an engine? You died…

Corsair? Isn't it a thoroughbred!
Well yes, but putting the biggest engine and prop into the hottest airframe you could craft meant it was a tremendous fighter - but not a nice thing to land - it earned it grim nickname 'The Ensign Eliminator' as for many a young pilot, his first landing in 'The Bent Wing Bastard' as we called it, was his last.

Pprune has got feck all on Arrse when it comes to air crash investigation.
I've said this before- they were chasing their tails and going in circles for a year yet the arrse Aircrash investigation team had the cause of the heli crash into a Glasgae pub roof nailed within 3 days and... the subsequent enquiry proved us correct.

I think maybe the admins should get some fancy black jackets with bright yellow decal on the back knocked up for us.
The Beirut explosion thread was seriously impressive, in terms of the level of knowledge shared by Arrsers with relevant backgrounds.

The Beirut explosion thread was seriously impressive, in terms of the level of knowledge shared by Arrsers with relevant backgrounds.
The membership of arrse and combined experience and knowledge is, I think, greatly underestimated.

I think you'll have to settle for a high-viz vest. Contrary to popular belief, the COs aren't international money launderers.

20200806_225010.jpg

To be fair they can’t even PID the correct aircraft before slagging off the crew when it comes to the latest wire strike :jocolor:
pprune are crap - the old guard have died / left now. Everyone else just tiptoes through the raindrops. Scared to tread on toes.
I'm still a member. My Air investigation skills are better spent here though I think :)

Are you suggesting there is a link between this aircraft and the aircraft allegedly heard over Beruit before the bombing raid firework explosion?

Corsair? Isn't it a thoroughbred!
Well yes, but putting the biggest engine and prop into the hottest airframe you could craft meant it was a tremendous fighter - but not a nice thing to land - it earned it grim nickname 'The Ensign Eliminator' as for many a young pilot, his first landing in 'The Bent Wing Bastard' as we called it, was his last.
The USN could not use it initially, the big engine blocking out the view of the landing decking, so they gave it to the FAA who devised a turning approach and descent so the landing signal officer and the deck are in view until the final hundred or so yards, or so I was told.

Told correctly. F4Us were something of a trade off design-wise and the FAA pretty much did the leg work for the type. It wasn't until the cockpit got jacked up that the USN started to like it. It was always a tricky aircraft to land though.

Unfortunately this airframe has a habit of landing in trees.
It would have missed the trees if the pilot hadn't needed to swerve to avoid the two police cars parked up in the field.

Bloody hero that's what he is.

Latest Threads