Sea Fury T20 Crash at Duxford

I'm not sure why the Norwegian Historic Flight had this aircraft, given the norgies didn't operate them. ISTR this machine got stuffed-in before.

that'll buff out

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
Has The AAAIT been scrambled yet?
Thats the ARRSE AIR ACCIDENT INVESTIGATION TEAM for the uninitiated.

This appears to be quite clearly an uncontained engine failure and then loss of oil / hydraulic pressure.
This then caused a leakage of Bernoullies thus loss of lift. Pretty clear cut case.

Next!

it crashed into the ground

I blame gravity

Maybe it woke Milligan’s ghost and he put the fluence on another noisy b’stard.

Tricky - most members are currently seconded to the Dockyard Fire Incident Investigation Board [East Med sub - committee]. Some members went there directly from duty on the recently prominent USN Fire Incident Board of Inquiry. Strange times.

Ooh... hang on...

AAAIA.jpg

There. That's better!

A Sea Fury T20 making and emergency landing yesterday crashed, the pilot and passenger minor injuries.

‘.....A witness described how there was "a smoke trail evident and the engine sounded bad"

was it a Corsa?

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
(snip)

The public may go fly in “The Shark”, a once-in-a-lifetime experience

(snip)
At least they're honest about it... :)

Sea Fury's seem to like the ground more than flying these days.
It is that classic debate about the risk of flying vs arguably less exciting ground preservation. I find, for example, a Lanc on its undercarriage v interesting close up. I wouldn't want to see any Lanc - as they are scarce - lost while flying. There are more Fury airframes iirc but they are a reducing resource.

At least the most important components escaped serious damage, pilot and passenger.
As someone said (ish) You don’t have to take off, but once you do you will have to land sooner or later.

Latest Threads