Sea Ceptor Missile?

Discussion in 'Tanks, planes & ships' started by Gassing_Badgers, Jan 30, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. See here:

Ministry of Defence | Defence News | Equipment and Logistics | New Sea Ceptor missiles to be developed for Royal Navy

Now forgive my ignorance, but doesn't this look like a slimmed down version of the Sylver system fitted to T-45?

Are we aiming for some sort of golden future, where the Navy will be able to cruise the high seas once more, merrily shooting down supersonic cricket balls whenever the whim takes them (although relying on a tiny fleet of SSN for anything like an offensive anti-surface of land-attack capability)?

2. MBDA - Mouldy Blinds & Duff Ammo

nuff said!

3. It's leveraged off ASRAAM.

It will also apparently quad pack into a SYLVER VLS cell as fitted to T45. It would be interesting to see if that is done to up the firepower of T45 for relatively low cost and with missiles that cost less than just over £1 Million a bang to shoot down a Mach 3 cricket ball.

Interesting MDBA video here including how it will retrofit to T23

Woosh bang stuff here

4. Call me crazy but wouldn't the ideal time to develop a new anti aircraft missile be shortly before you spend tens of billions of pounds on a new anti aircraft destroyer and not shortly afterwards?

5. This is a point defence missile for smaller war canoes, Sea Viper does the area defence.

6. Ah, fair enough.

7. So is this CAMM then?

8. Yus.

9. Replacement for Sea Wolf, and possibly Rapier.

10. i delivered some "kit" to a contractor in the very same location as that companies location in stevenage, it had a different name back then though.....

11. So we don't have the money for tanks anymore but the navy has a shiny new plane wacker? That's it, i'm donning my inter-service jealousy hat and going straight over to NavyNet to rant!

12. Most of the development for this will be valid for the land based system that is coming to replace Rapier.

13. What is wrong with Rapier FSC? when was the last time the arty shot a plain down and the RAF reg dont do air defence, surly we could invest the money in something more useful like.............. anything!

14. "Its flexible design also means that it could in future be adapted for use by the Army and RAF".

Or, could it be a Camel, (A horse designed by defence committee)?

15. Salisbury?