Sdsr

know anything?

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
...No......

Does that include the OTC, who never will?

Or perhaps bigger......
That almost made me laugh...almost. The TA will be cut back to only those units that can fulfill an immediate desire for IRs after some sort of cost benefit anaylsis.

Now where did I put those recruiting leaflets for the retained fire service and specials....

Cost benefit analysis ?

MOD procurement.

The cheque is in the post.

Only one of these concepts bears any relation to reality.

I'm expecting the usual Civil Service scenario-
1) Announce cuts
2) Recruit 8000 consultants at £40000 pa to manage cuts.
3) Freeze all spending for Q1-Q3 in sheer panic.
4) Splurge all the cash on useless furniture and new IT kit in Q4 to prevent being bollocked for underspending.
5) Put in for management awards.
6) In the meantime, everyone quits in despair.
7) Wait a year. Repeat cycle.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I'm expecting the usual Civil Service scenario-
1) Announce cuts
2) Recruit 8000 consultants at £40000 pa to manage cuts.
3) Freeze all spending for Q1-Q3 in sheer panic.
4) Splurge all the cash on useless furniture and new IT kit in Q4 to prevent being bollocked for underspending.
5) Put in for management awards.
6) In the meantime, everyone quits in despair.
7) Wait a year. Repeat cycle.
Good plan - you're hired.

Good plan - you're hired.
Sounds about right but didn't they do that for the Review of the Reserves?

I recall Gen Simon Lalor at a meeting telling us that a special project team had been set up to deliver the Review over a ten year cycle. How does that fit with SDSR??? If decisions are being taken on the 'hoof' as they seem to be, then where does (did?) R of the R now sit?

Is it all bollox?

Perhaps the TA will be smaller but larger in terms of it's relative size to the regular Army which will also be cut?

How many in the Army in say Germany, Holland or France - how do we fare as compared to them? anyone know?

It is all bollox isn't it?

Germany - masses of troops there. Do we need masses of troops there ? I believe that, militarily, we do not need them there. However, we have a NATO commitment to fulfil and we need to keep the troops who are to be rested between op tours somewhere. As such Germany is a good option. That said I would be amazed if BFG does not get a kicking.

Elsewhere - the TA are cheap. Some units and individuals are not worth the money. Others are however. I expect that there will be a move towards more of a "National Guard" approach so that there is, actually, a larger reserve whilst the regular army are cut.

Why ? Because TA cost money when (if ?) they attend. In the meantime they are a budgetary irrelevance. That sounds good to accountants. Don't forget that we are likely to be in a "policy schmolicy" situation in which the govt will go wherever the short sighted accountants lead and amend policy to give an impression of leadership.

How many in the Army in say Germany, Holland or France - how do we fare as compared to them? anyone know?
Surely we should be asking about Iran, North Korea etc?

msr