SDSR Implementation review..

Flight

LE
Book Reviewer
Strategic Defence and Security Review Implementation - GOV.UK

Which, really, sounds awfully like a review.

Which post brexit probably makes sense from a strategic stand point.

It is of course purely about cuts and finances. Especially foreign kit I'd imagine.

So gentlemen and civil servants, your predictions, observations, whinges, moans and fault finding of others is required.

Can't see the army coming out of this too well...

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

No big secret. We're skint.

Another 10% cut to fund the can't afford it equipment budget - and slashing of MOD CS numbers and support facilities.

Welcome to the new world of all fur coat and no knickers.

Flight

LE
Book Reviewer
Won't the rate of inflation help somewhat? 2.5 - 3% plus the 'promise' of half a percent above inflation.

Meanwhile I'd imagine the pay rises aren't going to top 1%.

Type 26 was originally meant to be another 'affordable' Type 23 replacement. At £1Bn+ each, the pennies simply aren't going around.
Add in all the equipment shortfalls that have been kicked down the road and need to be paid for at some point.

Yes, inflation and wage caps help, but it's still not making any significant dent in a defence budget that includes things like window cleaning costs to meet its 2% target.

It's honestly desperate.

Flight

LE
Book Reviewer
So is this likely to be ten percent across the board or are the cuts likely to fall on particular services?

So is this likely to be ten percent across the board or are the cuts likely to fall on particular services?

Military bands, ceremonial shit and elite sport in the armed forces will be ringfenced because that's the important stuff.

FEASG

LE
Anger over Army plans to cut soldiers’ welfare links by scrapping regimental headquarters

The Express is reporting the end of the world, and the regimental system. By the closer, of Regimental Head Quarters. The will be replaced by an officer in AHQ. Can’t say this will save a lot, and will be sad it does happen, I have always enjoyed meeting up at the RRF RHQ in the Tower for a beer on the association nights. Still those F35’s aren’t going to pay for themselves , even if It won’t save that much.

Rogerio134

Old-Salt
Got a feeling RAF reg are going to take another big hit in 2020. Been told that is being looked at and that the days of whole squadrons deploying are over for the foreseeable future. Still needed though for FP due to the new f35s being top priority which I think will help at least!

Military bands, ceremonial shit and elite sport in the armed forces will be ringfenced because that's the important stuff.
Clearly. You don't win wars without a decent band belting out 'Pomp and Circumstance' at the head of the column. Afghan & Iraq have shown us that.

Now, where are my red trousers...?

Got a feeling RAF reg are going to take another big hit in 2020. Been told that is being looked at and that the days of whole squadrons deploying are over for the foreseeable future. Still needed though for FP due to the new f35s being top priority which I think will help at least!
Good luck having that fight with the RM...

Sarastro

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
The MPGS either being binned or being totally cut down to training units and HQ units. All other units to self guard.

Ditts

Old-Salt
Well, here at UKSV we've mostly completed our SDSR merger with FCO vetting, plus we've successfully increase our manpower FTE by about 80. Overall, things are looking pretty rosy.

MPGS: Gone
RMP: Gone (What do they actually do all day)
MPS: Gone. Remove AWOL as a custodial offence, close MCTC. The real estate it sits on is worth alot of dosh!
RLC: Posties and Chefs gone
RAF Regt: Gone
Marines: Half gone

Thats just for starters. And would it make any real difference?

Latest Threads