SDSR - Changes to Service Personnel Allowances

Discussion in 'Army Pay, Claims & JPA' started by Bad CO, Jan 20, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Bad CO

Bad CO LE Admin Reviews Editor Gallery Guru

Full details on AFF Website.

2. Well, it is not as if there were no combat indicators that the axe was about to fall. Just read through the lot (there is a presentation on this afternoon but I have a subsequent engagement) and nothing too contentious in there - although a review of CEA sounds ominous.

3. A2_Matelot

A2_Matelot LE Book Reviewer

Make sure to attend a briefing or get hold of a briefing pack of the new allowances review, which will be released later this morning.

Particularly big news for those of us working in London, receiving FIA or who may use their own vehicle for travelling to work or attending meetings even.

In general the whole allowance package has been reviewed but CEA rates and SP are not affected by this current review but are subject to ongoing work which will carried out throughout 2011.

Quick guide - FIA will be reduced by 1/3; London allowance for all ranks above OR5 will be removed entirely; susbsistence allowance IE has been removed entirely; If you live in SSSA and receive FIA and are within 3 miles (as the crow flies) of a messing facility you will lose FIA and be expected to use the service mess for food; MMR will be reset to the HRMC rate.

LOA is reduced by variable degrees and for those in NW Europe the car buying/selling scheme is withdrawn (whatever that was?)

Lot's of other nuances but nothing positive.

4. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

having just had a quick look at Annex A my first thoughts are that really there are no comebacks for you over this. It is really bringing the services in line with what civiliansd have to put up with.

What should be worrying you a lot more is SDSR being re-opened. See here. That will financially effect many of you much more severely.

5. MrBane

MrBane War Hero Reviewer Reviews Editor

Nothing really to gripe about in the allowance cuts from what I can see so far.

IE being removed was just a buckshee fiver a day. Bar having to pay for laundry services what we incur when on course generally isn't much different than our normal day to day routine unless you're stuck in the arrse end of nowhere and spend a fortune on choccy to comfort eat at night. :)

We were stood around the Sqn office the other day talking about the cuts they'd make. There's a huge board on the wall with all the allowance rates on it. Swoop of the hand across it "One day son that'll all be gone.."

:(

6. A2_Matelot

A2_Matelot LE Book Reviewer

I tend to agree but suspect that a lot of people who are currently in receipt of these allowances will see it as a huge affront; I've already heard the "they're reducing my pay" cry, which of course isn't the case but as we all know some mistake allowances for pay and start to think of the overall sum as their 'basic' pay and earthly right.

I do agree that this is the start of brining us more into line with a normal civilian employer, and the rub here is that if we start to lose the allowances and I hate to use the word 'perk', we will simply be classed as just another employer and we will start to find it hard to attract the right people.

7. MrBane

MrBane War Hero Reviewer Reviews Editor

Exactly. Perks, not pay.

It'd be interesting to know how many of these allowances were created because someone very high up long ago said;

"There must be a way to get more money in my pocket every month. Lets sit down and have a think."

Like the LSA rates. Used to be three levels, now its, what, twelve? It might save money at the lower levels but with all these tours people are rapidly getting themselves up into the higher bands and it must be costing the Firm a fortune.

Meah. I'm fairly shruggy shoulders on this. Anyone that is balancing their lifestyle on the extra perks they receive is a mug. Understand that overseas things might be slightly harsher if you've gone there of your own accord and that's a different matter. In the UK though there's no excuse for it.

8. Had this brief about an hour ago, I don't get any allowances and its unlikely my bn will be going to Germany anytime soon so it didn't really affect me.

Some of the cuts are going to hurt people. But not only will these save money but they might give people who'd been uming and ahing about getting out a push, helping reduce numbers.

Sent from the garages using Tapatalk

9. Bad CO

Bad CO LE Admin Reviews Editor Gallery Guru

For those of you on Twitter (I know, I know), @niallpaterson (Sky Defence Correspondent) is looking for comments from Armed Forces personnel .....

10. Fugly

Fugly LE DirtyBAT

Nothing really bad there, but why does the cynic in me say that despite the few pennies saved here, the MoD will still piss the pounds away?

11. I'm not one to crib about allowances and there is nothing in there that will have a great impact on me but when I read and hear people say it will bring the Army more "in line" with civilians it really grips my shit. In 30+ years of service I have not noticed many civvies standing "in line" with me. The odd brave interpreter or out of the ordinary RUC/ PSNI man but not your average civilian. We ask more of our soldiers than any civvie employer so don't lump them in with or bring them in line with civvies.

Before someone chirps up with the volunteer cliche, of course we did and I'm not saying we're hard done by but dont measure us against your average civvie.

There now, thats better.

12. Brief in a nutshell

LOA reduced in some places with NW Europe taking the largest hit
    GYH(O) adjusted in NW Europe to compensate for LOA reduction and removal of "Betts Nights"
    MMA reduced
    IE allowance binned
    Disturbance allowance reduced
    LOA for dependant 18 year olds to be axed
    GYH(T) for those living in Quarters, Personal contribution to raised from 1 mile to 9 miles in line with owning and living in your own home.
    London allowance for SNCO and above will be axed
    FIA reduced

No suprises there. Those below Cpl and junior officers will benefit in the new 3 tier LOA system everyone else will lose out. Not knowing the new rates for LOA that will be published next month and working off the current rates means a Pte married with 2 kids will see an increase of around £104 whilst a WO married with 2 kids will see a drop of around £370.

13. Has to be the quote of the week.

14. Having just emerged from an O'Group & listening to feedback there's no real surprises here,.