SDSR 2015 ALL Change!!!!!!!!!!!! (again) at what price? to the line Infantry??

And now we begin to wait with baited breath as to SDSR...

No issue with the Royals at 7K. Good on them.
My bold, yep, no issues about manning for them given the range of tasks they're required for and the organic assets
needed to carry them out.

As for the SDSR, I would quite like to see 1 Rifles go back to 3 Cdo Bde however unlikely (the phrase pissing in the wind comes to mind...) However, I may just be a bit biased having thoroughly enjoyed my time there and the different opportunities that came our way.

@History_Man was in Riga last week and laid out his thoughts on 2015. Given the PM he just sent me with regard what is a reservist now, I am taking SMALL bets on an Army of 62k +/-3k.
Army Reserve bumped to 38k (not that the places will be filled mind you).

So pick a number between 50k and 100k, call it a sweepstake at £5 per number. Proceeds to h4h
My main money is on 65K with a side bet on 68K given we are already on 81.6K three years before the target date!

My bold, yep, no issues about manning for them given the range of tasks they're required for and the organic assets
needed to carry them out.

As for the SDSR, I would quite like to see 1 Rifles go back to 3 Cdo Bde however unlikely (the phrase pissing in the wind comes to mind...) However, I may just be a bit biased having thoroughly enjoyed my time there and the different opportunities that came our way.
Numbers and a fiver?

I meant to say 4th manoeuvre battalion. You are correct it is a big brigade as it is designed be capable of operating somewhat independently unlike army brigades that are intended to be integral parts of a division.
Fiver for an Army manning number to help for heroes?

Bowmore_Assassin

LE
Book Reviewer
My main money is on 65K with a side bet on 68K given we are already on 81.6K three years before the target date!
A still serving and well-informed mate of mine told me the other day the Army is now below 80k...

I also hear people are signing off in droves.

Happy to be corrected.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

One of my old OC's went on to take over a R IRISH HS Bn, used to have OC's and subbies from from everyone from WFR to AAC.

My old Coy used to have an OC from the booties, as well as a 2IC at different times and my last 2 CO's were from 22 so god knows where they started out.

Edit: when I was in another Coy we had a Ghurka for a 2IC as well, I'm sure there a few others.

My understanding following a number of cross regimental and divisional assignments of new CO's is:

Position above quality line trumps all, then jobs allocated along regiment, divisional lines. Crossing posting across divisions to Command will occur if there are disparities between divisions at any Command Board. Colonels of Regiments do retain a voice but no longer have a veto especially if the outside candidate is more than a few points above the 'insider'.

Position above quality line trumps all, then jobs allocated along regiment, divisional lines. Crossing posting across divisions to Command will occur if there are disparities between divisions at any Command Board. Colonels of Regiments do retain a voice but no longer have a veto especially if the outside candidate is more than a few points above the 'insider'.
A look at the latest Command Board results published on MS web on 18 August would highlight this...

Caecilius

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
It seems pretty much business as usual now and increasingly the case for sub unit command
It has been the case for some time now in the Cavalry for command appointments. Indeed, a couple of years ago someone from Regiment X was selected to command Regiment Y, while another officer from Regiment Z got Regiment X.

As you say, it's also coming in at sub-unit level although not yet to the same extent.

It's actually 81,250 against a liability of 82,500 under A2020. So, we're currently 1,250 under our liability. In addition, we currently have 5018 posts gapped and the IVO rate for Offr's remains higher than DM(A) planning assumptions.

But I would put money on a liability of circa 65,000 post SDSR.
I beg to differ on published results unless you have particular insider knowledge than the Defence Statistics report released yesterday and allegedly correct to 31 Aug 15. Page 5 of the report I linked states -

"The Full Time Trained Strength is 29,810 for the RN/RM, 80,860 for the Army and 31,420 for the RAF"

One assumes there will be changes through Sep/Oct, but that report will not be released for some time. DM(A) has been having some difficulty with the manning abacus and DGART has less hair than I recall. Of note there is a small uptick on recruitment and a slowed rate of outflow, but as you suggest the pressures remain on the officer cadre.

Last edited:
I beg to differ on published results unless you have particular insider knowledge than the Defence Staistics report released yesterday and allegedly correct to 31 Aug 15. Page 5 of the report I linked states -

"The Full Time Trained Strength is 29,810 for the RN/RM, 80,860 for the Army and 31,420 for the RAF"

One assumes there will be changes through Sep/Oct, but that report will not be released for some time. DM(A) has been having some difficulty with the manning abacus and DGART has less hair than I recall. Of note there is a small uptick on recruitment and a slowed rate of outflow, but as you suggest the pressures remain on the officer cadre.
From the horse's mouth as of Oct 15......

It has been the case for some time now in the Cavalry for command appointments. Indeed, a couple of years ago someone from Regiment X was selected to command Regiment Y, while another officer from Regiment Z got Regiment X.

As you say, it's also coming in at sub-unit level although not yet to the same extent.
Said quietly, not a troll and not looking for a bite but... doesn't it rather make a mockery of the regimental system?

Caecilius

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Said quietly, not a troll and not looking for a bite but... doesn't it rather make a mockery of the regimental system?
I can see why you'd say that, but personally I think it keeps many of the strengths of the Regimental system while removing the issues behind only having one CO slot to promote into. New COs actually shift Regiment and re-capbadge for the rest of their careers, so they become absorbed into the new unit. It also means that there's a degree of cross pollination of best practice from one unit to another without having the disadvantages of a full change in personnel every few years.

I think the reason behind the specific situation I mentioned was that one of the units was in a position where very strong leadership was required due to upcoming events so they put the best candidate in there rather than just the candidate with the same coloured hat.

Cynical

LE
Book Reviewer
No really. Indeed such manoeuvring at CO level has always been going on, although less institutionally/formally. No Colonel of Regiment wants to see weak COs and thus it was not unknown for people to change cap badge at /post Staff College if (1) they were able (2) their face fitted and (3) there was a looming gap for a commanding officer. If such a change could be followed by a tour as psc sub-unit commander in the new regiment (ideally having changed cap badge) then few feathers were ruffled.

As @Caecilius points out, changing one man in 600 still leaves the other 599.

Latest Threads