• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

SDG days numbered ?

i have a mate serving with SDG is it true that they are the worst unit to serve with as they are treated like shit? and they are soon to be amalgamated with a proper tank regiment such as 1 RTR as they have no horses so cannot be classed as cavalry?

No,lads, he's right.
They are going to amalgamate with QDG and form the Queens Royal Not English Dragoon Guards.
Now run along brew boy before your laboon blows away.

tiger stacker said:
Think the Bde 51 X might have something to say about this. BTW its RSDG

Wah detector back on.
They always refer to themselves as (as per JSP) SCOTS DG, though, or SDG is also popular. And I would think Brig of 7X would be more concerned...

Good bunch when I was working with them, in Fally, during the introduction of CR2.

They also have a reasonable Pipes and Drums.

chocolate_frog said:
tiger stacker said:
Think the Bde 51 X might have something to say about this. BTW its RSDG

Wah detector back on.
They always refer to themselves as (as per JSP) SCOTS DG, though, or SDG is also popular. And I would think Brig of 7X would be more concerned...

Good bunch when I was working with them, in Fally, during the introduction of CR2.

They also have a reasonable Pipes and Drums.
They've now been renamed 'Fiji DG'! :D

brew_boy said:
i have a mate serving with SDG is it true that they are the worst unit to serve with as they are treated like s***? and they are soon to be amalgamated with a proper tank regiment such as 1 RTR as they have no horses so cannot be classed as cavalry?
The likes of you need to fart more, so that sh1telike this doesn't back up into you brain and come out your mouth as crap!

garbage!

but on a serious note, all of the heavy cavalry regiments will face a torrid time with the forthcoming major defence review.

I expect we'll go to 2 hvy regts per div, and they will probably be hybrid units with a mixed capability.

D_D

Danny_Dravot said:
garbage!

but on a serious note, all of the heavy cavalry regiments will face a torrid time with the forthcoming major defence review.

I expect we'll go to 2 hvy regts per div, and they will probably be hybrid units with a mixed capability.

D_D
Not all together a bad thing though.

It is a bit ambiguous to refer to them as Heavy Cavelry Regts as there are five "Divisions" in the RAC - Household, Heavy, Light, RTR and Yeomanry... non of which really relates to the current job spec. Bit like having an LI Bn in Armoured Role!

A 3 Sqn Regt capable of delivery a mix of Heavy Armour (CR2), Med or Light Armour or Unarmoured (WMIK) would be no bad thing. Shouldn't be too difficult for them to up armour to the next level.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
chocolate_frog said:
Danny_Dravot said:
garbage!

D_D

It is a bit ambiguous to refer to them as Heavy Cavelry Regts as there are five "Divisions" in the RAC - Household, Heavy, Light, RTR and Yeomanry... non of which really relates to the current job spec. Bit like having an LI Bn in Armoured Role!

A 3 Sqn Regt capable of delivery a mix of Heavy Armour (CR2), Med or Light Armour or Unarmoured (WMIK) would be no bad thing. Shouldn't be too difficult for them to up armour to the next level.
Those are administrative divisions, not divisions in the field which, under current doctrine comprise a strong armoured element and are styled as armoured divisions.

In the same way that "The Army" comprises everything army, but an army in the field is a collection of corps, qv British Army of the Rhine, 1 Army (Tunisia WW2), 2 Army (Normandy), 8 Army (Libya), etc.

A corps in the field is a collection of divisions (see above) qv 1(Br) Corps in BAOR, 30 Corps (Op Market Garden) etc.

And so on. The fact is that the entire nomenclature of the British Army is ambiguous. There are two forms of just about everything major (as I have demonstrated) and everything needs to be taken in context., which sadly you haven't.

These days I think we are lucky if we can field one armoured division (which just happens to be 1 Armd Div).

I was pointing out Alien that a Heavy Cavalry Regiment means one thing, and a Heavy Armoured Regiment means something else.

I know what Admin Divisions are, but if someone said Heavy Cavalry I'd be thinking of this Division, not Challys.

Heavy Armour on the other hand, would lead me to conclude they were talking about Challys.

The roles to my knowledge are Armoured and FR. Not Heavy and Light Cavalry.

I may be wrong, in which case I stand corrected.

AlienFTM said:
chocolate_frog said:
Danny_Dravot said:
garbage!

D_D

Those are administrative divisions, not divisions in the field which, under current doctrine comprise a strong armoured element and are styled as armoured divisions.

In the same way that "The Army" comprises everything army, but an army in the field is a collection of corps, qv British Army of the Rhine, 1 Army (Tunisia WW2), 2 Army (Normandy), 8 Army (Libya), etc.

A corps in the field is a collection of divisions (see above) qv 1(Br) Corps in BAOR, 30 Corps (Op Market Garden) etc.

And so on. The fact is that the entire nomenclature of the British Army is ambiguous. There are two forms of just about everything major (as I have demonstrated) and everything needs to be taken in context., which sadly you haven't.

These days I think we are lucky if we can field one armoured division (which just happens to be 1 Armd Div).
But 1 Div is no longer truly armoured as 4 Bde is now Mechanized.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
chocolate_frog said:
I was pointing out Alien that a Heavy Cavalry Regiment means one thing, and a Heavy Armoured Regiment means something else.

I know what Admin Divisions are, but if someone said Heavy Cavalry I'd be thinking of this Division, not Challys.

Heavy Armour on the other hand, would lead me to conclude they were talking about Challys.

The roles to my knowledge are Armoured and FR. Not Heavy and Light Cavalry.

I may be wrong, in which case I stand corrected.
Furry muff. Far too subtle for me. I consider myself put in my place. My problem is that being ex-cavalry and ex-recce, the terms heavy cavalry and heavy armour are synonymous unless the context specifies RTR.

Latest Threads