SD Victoria - The so-called 'Worldwide Support Ship'

Maritime Photographic “Whats New" said:
SD Victoria (2010/2,500gt)

The so-called 'Worldwide Support Ship' is the largest of the 29 new vessels ordered by Serco Marine Services from Damen.

Built in Romania, the 83m training and support vessel will be used to support military training and exercises as part of Serco's contract with the UK Ministry of Defence.

Whats New
Further privatisation of the armed services ?! :|

From one of your links...

Serco Denholm is a joint venture between Serco Group and Denholm Group and provides marine services support to the Royal Navy at the UK's three main naval bases: HMNB Portsmouth, HMNB Devonport and HMNB Clyde. Serco Denholm originally began the fleet support services and manangement at the three naval bases in 1996.

Serco Denholm began a contract in December 2007 to provide these services and operate vessels in support of the Royal Navy, including tugs, passenger vessesl, pilot boats, and a range of stores and tank cleaning lighters, until 2022. As a direct result of this, the Royal Maritime Auxiliary Service, which had previously provided this role, was formally disbanded on 31 March 2008. All vessels formally prefixed RMAS assumed the SD prefix instead.

In 2009, Serco Denholm began upgrading their fleet of tugs at all three naval bases with brand new Damen models. The addition of new azimuth-drive tractor tugs to a fleet that had previously consisted of mainly Voith tugs, meant new training for many of the crews.
Serco Denholm - Classic Tugs
Yep! Since yesterday, I’ve been trying to remember the name of the RN dock-yard “service” associated with that (retained) colour scheme - which you rightly confirm is/was the “Royal Maritime Auxiliary Service”.

My initial reaction that prompted the original post was . . . . why do we need 29 (twenty-nine!), of these monsters? That would be a large number of one type of ship!

I imagined the MoD/RN, had somehow managed to order a new class of ship - without the usual debates/budgets/delays/cost over-runs . . . . were we going to mount “demountable” mine hunter rigs on the aft deck? Could/would we mount AA and/or anti-ship weapons?

. . . . . maybe they’re going to do that anyway!

In “slow-time” re-reading my own initial post, I see SD Victoria is “ . . the largest of the 29 new vessels ordered by Serco Marine Services from Damen”. So, they are not all the same !?

It is however, one hell of a “Private Fund Initiative” investment - for which the Government will be paying a great amount!

I also imagine it now means there will a good number of ex-Royal Maritime Auxiliary Service vessels to be disposed of.