Scrutiny of US foreign policy

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by jumpinjarhead, Sep 17, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Scrutiny of US foreign policy

Worries over US and British troops in Afghanistan (Report, 17 September) are on the rise as more and more soldiers – and civilians – are killed in this terrible conflict. Concerns also remain over US-Iranian relations; attempts to close the prison in Guantánamo are proving difficult; and renditions continue unabated. The Israelis and Palestinians are locked in stalemate – as before.

Though Obama's leadership has enhanced America's image, as yet there has been no major change from the policies and outcomes of the Bush years. Yet the Obama presidency is still reported in the mainstream media as a happy departure from the "disastrous Dubya". Though we are from opposite ends of the political spectrum, we strongly challenge this. The public, we feel, should be properly informed that the US will pursue its interests, regardless of which party holds power.

Obama presents himself as the "un-Bush". But when you look at substance, rather than style and rhetoric, and the structural constraints on presidential power, you can legitimately question the extent of his ability to change US policies. We call for a richer and better informed debate on US policy abroad. We need to end this unhealthy obsession with personalities and look properly at the issues – an admittedly difficult task given the supremely gifted and charismatic president now in office.

Journalists must be more forthright about the multibillion-dollar Pentagon budget, the massive numbers of US military bases around the world, the sheer scale of the US national security state. If, in Britain, more people knew of the 57 US bases in the UK, we might all be more realistic in our attitudes to that country.

Though it is quite unusual in political circles for left and right, neocon and liberals to come together in this way, it's not unusual for academics and intellectuals to engage with each other constructively and in a grown-up fashion – which may provide the best way to proceed.

Professor Inderjeet Parmar University of Manchester, Dr Mark Ledwidge University of Manchester, Professor Rob Singh Birkbeck College, Dr Tim Lynch Institute for the Study of the Americas

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/sep/18/us-foreign-policy-obama-afghanistan

2. Will you just fuck off you cut&paste trolling mong. We all know how to google, now piss off back to the US cage within this site and stay there. Throbber

3. Shut your yap, homo.

4. Well the O2 Thief tag is well earned and the location cited is no doubt accurate. The artice is interesting, your crayoning is not.

STFU

5. Read a newspaper then you tool.

6. For a guy that seems to be very much fighting for the newspaper corner, it seems somewhat ironic that you are choosing to spend time and effort on an online "current affairs, news and analysis" section.

What Jarhead posts, of which is pretty relevant and interesting is what this whole sodding section is for.

Now fcuk off you mong cnut.

7. It's not a post, it's a bizarre American's idea of constructive debate. Where are his initial arguments for or against the author's point of view? He's like a 3 year old kid saying 'why', 'why' 'why' without having a clue what the answer means.

8. Yet again you shine with irony.

Someone who gets a nerve touched by people posting news stories online, yet spends time browing an entire section dedicated to that very purpose. And now someone who wants opinions after posting a news story - yet does not give his own to the topic at hand.

You are being just as useless as what you think the good sir Jumpin_Jarhead is. From what I have seen of his posts, they are relevant, interesting and I would have missed them otherwise.

And please, try to be less of a prick. "It's a bizarre American's idea of constructive debate"
    He has posted a news article on a News section of a website. I don't think he deserves to be thrown fleeting generalizations such as that.

Or is it just your time of the month?

9. Why so out of sorts today?

I realize from the deep thought evident in most of your posts, my humble contributions to these forums are beneath your razor sharp mind but I thought perhaps lesser mortals might find the information of some meager use.

I do hope you get to feeling better and perhaps it will save you some upset if you merely pass by my pedestrian submissions without wasting you valuable time with them.

10. If your not interested in Armed forces news how about don't read the news section on an Armed forces website.

Whilst this is another cut & paste move I feel you'll be better suited to this forum

[​IMG]

11. You, sir, are an embarrassment, ARRSE needs to do a better job of screening out fools like you. You give us all a bad name.

12. Who let the Chav in?

13. It took 4 PhDs to come up with that? I'd be embarrassed.

14. Just for people like you who like to sit there stroking your beards, pretending to be intellectual, here is the secret to Jumpingjarheads incredible ability to scour the net for relevant articles:

"Welcome to Google Alerts
    Google Alerts are email updates of the latest relevant Google results (web, news, etc.) based on your choice of query or topic.

Some handy uses of Google Alerts include:
    monitoring a developing news story
    keeping current on a competitor or industry
    getting the latest on a celebrity or event
    keeping tabs on your favorite sports teams
    Create an alert with the form on the right."

Of course Google hasn't told him how to have an independent thought on whatever this automated brain-in-a-bottle provides. He posts like a journalist who is looking for the opinion of others without providing one of his own.

Go on google alerts, and if you feel an urge to share an opinion with other beard stroking dullards about a subject you have been given, you could come up with an opinion on it first, and then offer a better post than jumpingmllarhead

15. Whilst not agreeing with Jonno on his main point, I do feel that some of the stuff posted by JJ would be better served in the MultiNational HQ part of the site (although not this article). I must also ask that you post some of YOUR thoughts on the article you post before asking for others responses?

Other than that - Jonno, if you hadn't earned it before, you have now. Well done.