Scrolling Gallery - can I remove it ?

Discussion in 'ARRSE: Site Issues' started by floppyjocky, Mar 25, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi there, It's only a little thing but is it possible to stop the scrolling gallery permanently? I realise that I can minimise it but it comes back every time I refresh or change pages.

Would it be possible to have something in the preferences section to do away with it completely if you don't want to see it ? Either that or make sure that it only shows "safe for work" pictures ? When I say safe for work I mean in all no swear words, no un-pc stuff.
  2. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Floppy, I agree with you. This is one of the reasons that I no longer access Arrse at work - too many PC types (plus my boss) can see what is on my screen.
  3. Auld-Yin, I'm in exactly the same boat at work but add to that this fact:

Yesterday while ARRSING away in the corner of the room while the mother-in-law was chatting to the Long haired CO, my 2 year old daughter who has the eyesight of an Eagle pointed at the screen and shouted "BOOBIES". Yes we all laughed and yes I should of had it minimised but I saw what could possibly be another potential flaw when the Vicar is visiting.

PS: The vicar would never visit but you know what I mean. :)
  4. LMAO... you can always rely on kids eh..and I agree the vicar would'nt be impressed!!!

Come on MOD'd help these poor people!
  5. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

Guys why don't you just bookmark the forums page. You can still get recent posts from the header menu without going to the front page. The only thing you would be missing is the who's online section, and if that bothers you....

Just reduce the width of your browser window when you're at work so that the right hand blocks don't show....

Surely given the amount of effort that goes in to keeping the site usable and popular, and the good feedback about the pictures elsewhere this isn't too much too ask?

Also Auld Yin, saying you no longer use the site at work because of that photo block on the right of one page of the site is stretching it a bit. You seemed to use it before OK and those pictures were very definitely on show in the gallery if you chose to go there.

You know that we're in a complete no win here - people like it, if I remove it I'll get complaints and you're complaining that it's there.
  6. Sixty

Sixty LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Cyclists and Triathletes

The bold above would seem to be the key point. Now have no choice if refreshing or going to 'my account' or your PMs.

Is it not possible to make it optional in the account settings? The newbies would still see it (which seems to be your main concern: to make it easier to navigate and I do understand that) and those that have been here for a bit know where to look if they want to see them.

And as for the good feedback, I assume it must have been by email as the consensus was firmly against it in the 'site function' thread.
  7. i did say before i find it very annoying,,,..your eyes are drawn to it....
  8. That's what I do - in fact I shrink the entire site down to a really small size so that I can read what I want to without anyone else's attention being drawn to it.
  9. I'm a fence sitter on this one. When I'm on my own (it happens a lot, I have no friends) it has drawn me to some photos I haven't seen before which have made me laugh.

On the other side, it's really not good for work.

I'll have to go with the make it an option in the preferences bit.

P.S. I've heard the blogs are back on, haven't checked yet. Good work Boss.
  10. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

Good point about PMs anf stuff. There is no need to have the blocks there at all so I will get rid of them. I was thinking it was just the front page which there is no need to hang around on at all.
  11. Saw the top right hand corner of your screen off?

Stabtiffy, use the spar piece of screen glass and drag it across your throat.
  12. Good Co.

Complaining is possibly too strong a word, I was only asking the question about preference settings in case I was missing an easy fix.

If you would rather just hear the good points about the site from the people that think they are good then please add it to the T's & C's and I'll hush my mouth. :)

Bookmarking the forums page solves it for me, I'm just too dim to think of it myself.

13. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

OK - just come up with the solution. You only get the scrolling pics if you are not logged in. Their primary reason for being there is to attract the attention of new visitors to the site and encourage them to look further. Otherwiser the front page is just a load of text and a couple of icons. Once someone is registered there is no longer the same need to have a 'shop window' so they won't get the pictures. How's that?
  14. Sixty

Sixty LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Cyclists and Triathletes

Superb. Thanks Boss, very much appreciated.
  15. Looks good here - using FireFox.