Scrimming up your skid lid!

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by numbered_3, Jan 22, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. If im correct, this used to be done only by airborne types,
    I can see it's advantages and it does help in camming up the lid (plus it looks ally)
    I'm seeing more and more non airborne types doing it now though (Royal in Afghanistan)
    Has this trend kicked off in any of your units yet?

2. No 3, The scrimming up of helmets wasn't just an airborne thing. We had to it with the old tin lid (thank god I only had it in training) and used to attach ripped hessian, old green army towel to break up the outline of the helmet. Before we got the MK 6 and dpm helmet cover. (Apologies if I'm stating the obvious.)

I personally don't think that putting a scrim net over a helmet today without hessian, Blah, blah, blah, to break its outline does nothing other than say I'm airborne qual'd and to look different from the rest of the army. Or the person doing it is walt!

3. Have a look through the various Ally threads! Answers there!

4. There used to be a shop in the Shot that would do your lid for you - rubber, scrim and eyes for around £15 I think. They'd also do it in US choccy chip before UK Desert/Arid DPM was widely available.

5. Ally R Us

6. Scrimming?!?!?!?!?! Thought it said skiffing, what a waste of a thread.

7. Cutaway

Cutaway LE Reviewer

And I hoped it said *******...