Screwing ourselves to oblivion?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by OldAdam, Jul 24, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

It has been said for a while that we are due either a damn good war or an apocalypsal epidemic to "cull" the human race down to a more managable size.

No surprise here on the language of the article.
  2. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

This subject, and his viewpoint is perfectly valid. If it is the human population that is putting itself at risk through over-breeding, then it is the human population that must air this subject as part of all the other discussions going on in respect of managing our consumption and pollution.

It was perfectly reasonable to discuss it in the past, but Hitler, through his lunatic genocidal policies has made it taboo.

This subject was certainly on the table prior to WW2, but has disappeared since.

Perhaps we should vote on how to reduce the population:

A damn good war?
    A plague?
    A cull?
    Breeding limits?
    Hope for a geological catastrophe?
  3. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

Biped - My addition in bold. Hope you don't mind.

I'd say the World's population is trying damn hard to start the process. The last one looks to me as the one that will merrily kick off the rest if we give it time 8O
  4. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

Surely AIDS is going to do a lot of this for us in the coming decade. It's only been with us for a little over twenty years and hasn't had a chance to do its worst yet. Aren't huge numbers of people in Africa and increasingly India and China infected? Western contries tend to have less of a problem because of better education. That and the churches ludicrous position on condoms which the poor uneducated Africans who don't know any better follow. That and that fool Mbekis position on AIDS.

I understand the worlds population has doubled in the last century but there are not enough resources to cope. Somethings got to give.
  5. Cheapseats, I believe pestilence resently left us - now an envoy in the middle east. A fair point but education is needed, especially from a certain Kraut now living in Rome.
  6. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

Indeed, pestilence has left us, but those that were infected whilst it was here are still dying in the aftermath. It may be sometime before the ground has healed.

The latest reports from experts are that the AIDS battle is lost and many more will die yet.
  7. Oh dear never mind, how sad

AID is not working fast enough.
  8. Schaden

Schaden LE Book Reviewer

Aids is actually pretty hard to catch if you're not sharing needles, indulging in [edited] or shagging yourself senseless with a couple of hundred people a year.....also if you're circumcised or use soap and hot water on the areas in question once or twice a day the risk is almost non-existant.
  9. Well every country execpt the UK has seemed to have some sort of internal cull of sorts in the past couple of hundred years, with the eventual aim of getting rid of some sort of class of people, even if most of them were hideously wrong, racist and goes against any proper thought...the UK
    seems to be missing out - should Chavs be our little 'internal cull'?

France - Revolution - Rich, Snobby people
    Spain - Civil War - People who didn't like Franco
    USA - Civil War - Yellowbellies
    Germany - Jews
    Former Yugoslavia - Well anyone and everyone it would seem
    Africa - Also pretty much anyone and everyone
    Russia - Anyone who wasn't Communist
    China - Anyone who isn't a Communist

The list goes on....

Who else could do with going, to be able to manage the population? , discuss.
  10. Yes Mbeki is an idiot, however Africans have been being taught about Hiv for years there also giving condoms by the bucket full. It has nothing to do with the church. Simple answer is most of them dont listen to anyone, they dont like condoms they wont wear them full stop. The men believe that when they are infected they should then go out and infect as many women as possible in revenge. Never mind raping the first baby to try and cure it!!!
    You can educate them all you want, however the majority will only do what they think is right , when it suits them.
    Yes there Govt doesnt help, recently there health minister told them garlic and lemon was a cure!!! However im sick of there blame game, Africans cannot and will not take responsibility for anything.
  11. The developing countries are the ones that are growing fastest whilst places like Europe are declining. Apparantly we will top out at about 9-10 billion by the end of the century. By that time global warming causing food shortages will sort it out.

Prof Raply hasn't really thought it through poor chap. It's the industrialised west that creates the most pollution per head of population yet that very population IS declining UNLESS you take into account immigration.

So what's it to be then Prof? Kill off or forcibly sterilise huge swathes of people in the developing world? Stop ALL immigration to the polluting developed nations and let them decline naturally?

Personally I think that the dear Prof should lead by example and pour some water into a bucket and place his head into it for say 30 mins, thereby ridding the world of one nasty polluter and causer of global warming.

I'd doubt that he would get any concensus to "control" population simply because population growth is uncontrollable by man unless some governements take some very radical action. We will simply grow until the pressure become too much in which case some will die of starvation, disease and others by war. What ever it is I doubt that the human race will die out unless someone is stupid enough to press the button or a rather large meteorite does for us like the dinosaurs.
  12. Yeah...Adolf had to go and spoil it for everybody. Selfish cnut. :evil:
  13. I bet you are cheerful over the breakfast tea and toast![​IMG]

I believe the original toast was to "A bloody war or a sickly season"? Personally I think that this is exactly what happened to the dinosaurs - gym-slip hatcheries, tyrannosauruses doing "do-nuts" in the middle of raptor rookeries, excessive eating of "recreational" foliage by stegosauruses...

That's it, we are in the last days before extinction, mark my words Mrs cuddles, pass the marmalade there's a dear...
  14. Wars do seem to fulfil a role in our evolution.

I've often wondered how many Friday night punch ups occurred after WWII when "fighting men" were killed in foreign lands.