• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Screwing ourselves to oblivion?

It has been said for a while that we are due either a damn good war or an apocalypsal epidemic to "cull" the human race down to a more managable size.

No surprise here on the language of the article.

Biped

LE
Book Reviewer
This subject, and his viewpoint is perfectly valid. If it is the human population that is putting itself at risk through over-breeding, then it is the human population that must air this subject as part of all the other discussions going on in respect of managing our consumption and pollution.

It was perfectly reasonable to discuss it in the past, but Hitler, through his lunatic genocidal policies has made it taboo.

This subject was certainly on the table prior to WW2, but has disappeared since.

Perhaps we should vote on how to reduce the population:

A damn good war?
A plague?
Pestilence?
A cull?
Breeding limits?
Sterilisation?
Hope for a geological catastrophe?

Biped said:
This subject, and his viewpoint is perfectly valid. If it is the human population that is putting itself at risk through over-breeding, then it is the human population that must air this subject as part of all the other discussions going on in respect of managing our consumption and pollution.

It was perfectly reasonable to discuss it in the past, but Hitler, through his lunatic genocidal policies has made it taboo.

This subject was certainly on the table prior to WW2, but has disappeared since.

A damn good war? - Anywhere in Africa already working at this one
A plague? - Bird Flu bug. Used to be a case that AIDS was regarded as this. Word is that in Far East and Africa, the term is becoming more accurate again
Pestilence? - Need help here. Any examples, anyone?
A cull? - Arguably Africa again - Rwanda, Sudan, DRC
Breeding limits? - China
Sterilisation? - China
Hope for a geological catastrophe? - or environmental? Global Warming?

Biped - My addition in bold. Hope you don't mind.

I'd say the World's population is trying damn hard to start the process. The last one looks to me as the one that will merrily kick off the rest if we give it time 8O

Surely AIDS is going to do a lot of this for us in the coming decade. It's only been with us for a little over twenty years and hasn't had a chance to do its worst yet. Aren't huge numbers of people in Africa and increasingly India and China infected? Western contries tend to have less of a problem because of better education. That and the churches ludicrous position on condoms which the poor uneducated Africans who don't know any better follow. That and that fool Mbekis position on AIDS.

I understand the worlds population has doubled in the last century but there are not enough resources to cope. Somethings got to give.

Cheapseats, I believe pestilence resently left us - now an envoy in the middle east. A fair point but education is needed, especially from a certain Kraut now living in Rome.

Biped

LE
Book Reviewer
one-flew-over said:
Cheapseats, I believe pestilence resently left us - now an envoy in the middle east. A fair point but education is needed, especially from a certain Kraut now living in Rome.
Indeed, pestilence has left us, but those that were infected whilst it was here are still dying in the aftermath. It may be sometime before the ground has healed.

The latest reports from experts are that the AIDS battle is lost and many more will die yet.

Schaden

LE
Book Reviewer
Aids is actually pretty hard to catch if you're not sharing needles, indulging in [edited] or shagging yourself senseless with a couple of hundred people a year.....also if you're circumcised or use soap and hot water on the areas in question once or twice a day the risk is almost non-existant.

Well every country execpt the UK has seemed to have some sort of internal cull of sorts in the past couple of hundred years, with the eventual aim of getting rid of some sort of class of people, even if most of them were hideously wrong, racist and goes against any proper thought...the UK
seems to be missing out - should Chavs be our little 'internal cull'?

France - Revolution - Rich, Snobby people
Spain - Civil War - People who didn't like Franco
USA - Civil War - Yellowbellies
Germany - Jews
Former Yugoslavia - Well anyone and everyone it would seem
Africa - Also pretty much anyone and everyone
Russia - Anyone who wasn't Communist
China - Anyone who isn't a Communist

The list goes on....

Who else could do with going, to be able to manage the population? , discuss.

Ord_Sgt said:
Surely AIDS is going to do a lot of this for us in the coming decade. It's only been with us for a little over twenty years and hasn't had a chance to do its worst yet. Aren't huge numbers of people in Africa and increasingly India and China infected? Western contries tend to have less of a problem because of better education. That and the churches ludicrous position on condoms which the poor uneducated Africans who don't know any better follow. That and that fool Mbekis position on AIDS.

I understand the worlds population has doubled in the last century but there are not enough resources to cope. Somethings got to give.
Yes Mbeki is an idiot, however Africans have been being taught about Hiv for years there also giving condoms by the bucket full. It has nothing to do with the church. Simple answer is most of them dont listen to anyone, they dont like condoms they wont wear them full stop. The men believe that when they are infected they should then go out and infect as many women as possible in revenge. Never mind raping the first baby to try and cure it!!!
You can educate them all you want, however the majority will only do what they think is right , when it suits them.
Yes there Govt doesnt help, recently there health minister told them garlic and lemon was a cure!!! However im sick of there blame game, Africans cannot and will not take responsibility for anything.

The developing countries are the ones that are growing fastest whilst places like Europe are declining. Apparantly we will top out at about 9-10 billion by the end of the century. By that time global warming causing food shortages will sort it out.

Prof Raply hasn't really thought it through poor chap. It's the industrialised west that creates the most pollution per head of population yet that very population IS declining UNLESS you take into account immigration.

So what's it to be then Prof? Kill off or forcibly sterilise huge swathes of people in the developing world? Stop ALL immigration to the polluting developed nations and let them decline naturally?

Personally I think that the dear Prof should lead by example and pour some water into a bucket and place his head into it for say 30 mins, thereby ridding the world of one nasty polluter and causer of global warming.

I'd doubt that he would get any concensus to "control" population simply because population growth is uncontrollable by man unless some governements take some very radical action. We will simply grow until the pressure become too much in which case some will die of starvation, disease and others by war. What ever it is I doubt that the human race will die out unless someone is stupid enough to press the button or a rather large meteorite does for us like the dinosaurs.

Biped said:

A damn good war?
A plague?
Pestilence?
A cull?
Breeding limits?
Sterilisation?
Yeah...Adolf had to go and spoil it for everybody. Selfish cnut. :evil:

in_the_cheapseats said:
It has been said for a while that we are due either a damn good war or an apocalypsal epidemic to "cull" the human race down to a more managable size.

No surprise here on the language of the article.
I bet you are cheerful over the breakfast tea and toast!

I believe the original toast was to "A bloody war or a sickly season"? Personally I think that this is exactly what happened to the dinosaurs - gym-slip hatcheries, tyrannosauruses doing "do-nuts" in the middle of raptor rookeries, excessive eating of "recreational" foliage by stegosauruses...

That's it, we are in the last days before extinction, mark my words Mrs cuddles, pass the marmalade there's a dear...

Wars do seem to fulfil a role in our evolution.

I've often wondered how many Friday night punch ups occurred after WWII when "fighting men" were killed in foreign lands.

Biped said:

A damn good war?
A plague?
Pestilence?
A cull?
Breeding limits?
Sterilisation?
There is a term for this "Density dependent selection". Once a population reaches a size where the environment cannot support it it will reduce. Nature will sort it out one way or another

The politicians' hand-wringing over AIDS always says that it is a global curse just waiting to strike us all down and we should all be worried about it. I'm just waiting for the first guy to stand up and say truthfully that it's all a big lie. If you avoid being shagged by foreigners, taking it *********** and taking heroin you'll probably be ok. I reckon most sensible people can manage that easily enough. If anyone is stupid enough to catch AIDS through shagging or drugs then aren't they just contestants in a big collaborative Darwin Award competition?

Fifty percent of mankind are in two countries - China and India - but even if a 'Gulf of Tonkin' incident could be manufactured to persuade them to seriously fight each other it is doubtful that that cull would reduce the global masses by more than 20% (down to around 4.5 billion) unless a few wayward nukes found their way into Tokyo, Seoul, Islamabad, Novosibirsk, Tel Aviv, etc.

Aside from the possible outbreak of global hostilities over fresh water towards the end of this century, I think there are only really two possibilities: a respectable-sized meteor or a (mad) scientist implanting a sterilisation gene into GM crops. My money is on the latter.

Schaden

LE
Book Reviewer
Wars very seldom get really big numbers when culling the two legged - for a really impressive total you need old Moth Nature to get out her fangs - Black Death, Spanish Flu post WW1.

Course it might be the old planet killer flying in and going bang too....

Going off on s slight tangent here, but I have gone on record before, here on ARRSE, stating that Africans are totally incapable of governing themselves. The dark continent is indeed getting darker, yet I refuse to believe that it is all as a result of us nasty whites colonising the place. (That the Belgians really f*cked up in the Congo I'm prepared to accept).

Time and time agian on my travels in West Africa I've been asked, quite bluntly, "Why did you leave ?" We had none of this crap when British administration was involved", and that was from a quite senior Sierra Leone civil servant. "Come back please, I want to go to University in my own country", This from a child amputee who ran foul of the West Side Boys, (or West Side N*ggers, as they preferred to be known, but the BBC / Liberal press thought it better to change their collective sobriquet)

Africans cannot plan. It's fertile country, fruit grows on trees and crops grow in such a short time. Only two seasons to contend with. We have had four to grow up with from the stone-age and therefore learned to plan with the seasons.

Where's my proof ? My house boy had a very well serviced generator situated in a perfectly constructed shed. He was given full instructions on how to operate the thing and ALWAYS had 2 x 25 Litre cans of fuel as back- up.

I lost count on how many times the power would go off in the evenings because the idle sod hadn't thought about checking the fuel on a daily basis which, of course was SOP. I rest my case. Unless they're in a maize field or working in a mine, they ain't much use. Constant supervision required at all levels.

There was a time, perhaps a couple of hundred years ago, when the west had a profitable and particularly pleasant time after colonistation was established. The place was fertile, blessed with massive resources from diamonds and gold to copper. In the British colonies justice was generally fair and open. Even the indiginous population were getting there in term of enlightenment (Freetown, Sierra Leone, had not one but two Universities regarded as the best on the continent - incl SA), but since we've all legged it, the African has gone back to the tribal way of doing things. Sadly, it's on the world stage.

Rhodesia ? (I have always refused to call it Zimbabwe) - total melt-down in a year or two and annexed by SA IMHO because this Govt is too weak to do anything about it.

Sierra Leone ? Getting better, but still on the seriously ill list.

Ghana ? Doing well, but still struggling with debts.

Kenya ? Corrupt.

Thats just 4 countries in Africa that were beacons of prosperity and fairness, now fairly well trashed.

And before I get some flak about the Mau Mau rebellion, please consider this. It was contained. It didn't spill over to a regional conflict. I refuse to have it looked at with 21st century mores and manners. My uncle still has nightmares about finding a decapitated white infant during his National Service days there.

Africa ? Brilliant scenery, massive resources, f*cking useless population.

India ? Got independance 60 years ago come Monday. World's largest democracy and a real power house in the region.

Pakistan ? Ditto, but once again the tribal / religious temperament has stood in the way of real progress. Give me an Indian or Sikh off-sider anyday.

Just thought I'd add my ten pen'orth. Ah ! They're open !

Latest Threads