Screwed laptop ... need to get info off of it

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by samm1551, Sep 1, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. samm1551

samm1551 Old-Salt Book Reviewer

Can anyone tell me how I get all my docs and pics off of a laptop that my stupid son smashed the screen on today? Before you say it there is no dodgy pics for you to look at (sorry) but I have legal stuff on there and other important stuff I want to download onto disc or usb stick or sd card or anything that I can plug into a new laptop if the insurance company decide to replace instead of repair.

Sorry, didn't know where else to put this and wasn't sure the ladies would be able to help on RP.

Cheers guys.

**and yes I am a pratt for not backing it up onto disc in the first place

2. ow never mind I was hopping there's some dirty pics you could send me of your wife.

Any way looking on the back of laptop there's usually somewhere you can connect a monitor/tv to it.

Failing that take the hard drive out pop down Maplins they got convertor cables and you an connect it to a pc as a secondary hard drive.

3. samm1551

Thanks 84, and by the way I am the wife. I shall see if I have the cable that connects the laptop to the TV.

4. Yep the converter cable is a good idea, I must get one myself, for my lappy. Plan to copy all the software and system info from my desktop to my laptop.

Oh and thump your son with something heavy :lol:

5. Ah the old "accident" eh, my eldest did that too. Anyway, screens are replaceable - is the laptop worth repairing ?

6. Just plug your desktop monitor into the VGA plug on the laptop and boot it up. New laptops will see the monitor and work.

If it is an older laptop then FN+F6(or F7) will get the display up.

7. Failing that, slave the HDD on another PC. You can buy a cable from Maplins. Using the external output is the easiest option though.

8. I have a vague memory of a Berlin club where you could get your laptop screwed.

9. Recently my old pc fell down the stairs and insurance company tried to charge me £70 to recover the hard disk. Got a adaptor cable off Amazon, £14.99, HDD is now a slave drive to my new computer, jobsagudun.

10. samm1551

Thanks everyone, I acquired a cable and a screen yesterday (in BFC so Maplins is out the window). Said child is now hanging from the fan he threw his toy into and I have found someone to replace the screen for £80. Laptop is only a year old. Said child will be let down from the ceiling fan to do chores until £80 is paid off, and at my rate of pay thats going to be at least 4 months :)

11. samm1551

I think you probably could down the B3 as well.. just been posted out of BFG