Screwed for leave cos hes TA

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by brewmeister, Aug 10, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. A mate of mine works for ABRO where they have two levels of leave entitlement. The upper level is for those with at least three years military or civil service. When he started with them he was given the upper level, but this has recently been taken away leaving him unable to do annual camp as he all of a sudden has no leave left. The reason given is that TA service does not count. This guy is a SNCO, he's been in twelve years including a tour to Iraq. Does that really count for nothing? What really grips him is that someone who's worked the bins for Purbeck District Council for three years automatically qualifies, yet apparently he doesn't. Can anyone shed some light on this?

One army my arrse!
  2. One for SaBRE I should think...You can't really slag the One Army ethos (whatever our opinions of it are) for employers policies.

I would find hugely insulting that ABRO suddenly don't recognise TA service however!!
  3. He could also ask whether ABRO have a policy with regard to TA Leave for Annual Camp. He may find that he will get 10 days leave (either paid or unpaid) in addition to his 25 days annual leave. If so, when his annual leave entitlement rises to 30 days, he'd better leave a note on his desk letting people know that he still works there.
  4. A quick read of the terms and conditions of employment may do the trick.

If it was the case previously that he had the right to the upper bracket of leave and than this was taken away, then you could have a quiet word with your HR staff and remind them that they had materially changed his terms of employment without consultation or notice to the individual.

In this situation you could probably take them to an Employment Tribunal.

I would let Sabre do all of the initial running, that's what those lazy tw*ts are there for ! :(

Then again as puttees mentions, he may get additional leave which is separate from his contractual entitlement. :D

Besides I can't see ABRO kicking up such a fuss - after all in real terms it's a temporary deployment of a member of their staff to the client facing end of the business. Though I'm sure they would give a better forumlated answer for not looking at it like that !

In true TA fashion I will cover my ass and state here that I am not a qualified lawyer and mostly wear a burberry baseball cap !!! :D

5. Don't be fooled into thinking that. Even the MOD do this sort of thing. I had to resign from them when I was mobilised.
  6. Brigadier/Professor Holmes was a Military History lecturer at Sandhurst when he was made CO of 2 Wessex. He was asked by the Army to take a years sabbatical in order to command his Bn, and refused permission to do so by his employer - The MOD.
  7. msr

msr LE

But to be fair, that was 20 years ago.

8. Had a lad on my basic who worked on a range down Anglia way. He had to take 2 weeks holiday to attend I think it's a bit hypocritical that the MoD pushes the skills etc that can benefit a company for letting staff take time off to attend courses and the like. Certnly my last employer allowed you to take 2 weeks paid leave to carry out "pubic duties" ie TA/Jury service Mod need to practice what the preach!
  9. To be incredibly unfair, MOD have wrung that particular cloth for all the PR juice it possibly could! Sorry did I say unfair? I meant of course "factual"...